What was the last record/CD/tape/8-track you bought?

Jon

I probably wouldn't had bought this if it wasn't on cassette. About to pop it in the Alpine for the morning commute.

Skrillex. He's kinda bro, I know, but I'm a sucker for a cassette release.

I also got these... Pretty behind the curve on. Good CDs tho!

I'm not familiar with them but Insect Records is mostly tape (with digital download code too) and I really dig them. Beat and electronic stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Symatic

i recently got a dubplate cut of a now extinct Scientist version of a tune by Dean Fraser called Idi Amin. I only ever heard it on a Roddigan radio show from the early 80's and they called it The Assasinator by Jr Delgado

anyway, Festus/Scientists cut was way tougher than the original, but the sound quality was shite cos it was a dubplate played on the radio then taped and played back on the internet. the best copy i could find was on soundcloud. and it still has talking over it.

So i got the original, and used it to restore the festus cut by extracting the bass and high frequencies, and now i have a copy of his legendary dubplate! bam!

maybe i should get out more....

oh yeah and the other side of my 7" dubplate is reggae themed sound effect like lazers and quotes from films like harder they come and rockers. and i threw in a skipless ahhh/fresh. might as well have a 7" scratch record eh?

I just got more accapellas today too, ready to be used in forthcoming scratch records....

• Like 2

That's Roy Castle levels of dedication right there!

I totally get the reason though - some of my serious reggae friends have sound system cuts/plates of tunes and they always blow the originals away.

Is this new one you got cut vinyl or a traditional limited plays dubplate?

Guest Symatic

vinyl - done at Dubstudio in bristol. they have a Vinyl Recorder which cuts to vinyl blanks. theyre really good, i've got those 2 scratch records i made, they wear out the same as normal vinyl as long as you have good source material. if you cut mp3 or something to vinyl, it sounds shite and wears out quicker it seems.

Interesting.

I've been wondering about getting some ska singles cut for a while now - normal releases, but stuff I'll never afford OG copies of and that represses I missed are already selling for 3 figures or just not happening (at least until Buster dies).

My only concerns were; quality and lifespan which obviously aren't a problem based on what you're saying and cost - how much do they charge per 7"?

Guest Symatic

£25 for a 7"

http://www.dubstudio.co.uk/dubstudio/dubs/all-dubs

they do acetates if you want, good ones apparently but i havent done one before as i always plan on scratching with them.

its like £40 for a 12. but the way i see it is that a lot of records are £15 - £20 anyway, so if i am willing to pay £15 for a record that only has 2 or 3 good tunes / scratch samples on it, whynot maxemize and spend £40 on a 12 full of good music?

they guy who runs it is really helpful too.

That's better than I expected TBH. There was some random on FB offering a similar service, but his quality control seems a bit questionable based on feedback from others.

£25 really isn't that much these days, especially as you can fill both sides with songs you really want. The ones I want done are like £500+ for an original and maybe £80-120 for repress (that's only the ones that have been repressed of course).

I take it there's no question about ownership of original recordings, etc?

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Shit! That's great. As a respectable hip hop lover I heart B-boy records to the max. Must get.

Let's Levi 167:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest petesasqwax

I've coveted my fair share of records in my time - psych rock especially - but that right there takes the cake. it even has the The Spades 7"!