What was the last record/CD/tape/8-track you bought?

Jon

When I found out that my favourite group of the moment made two private press 10" singles in '06, I just had to have them. The first one arrived today.

On another front, I scored this record in a bunch of shite records I was given to dispose of!

As I doubt there's many acid folk fans on DV, here the popsike page to see why I'm excited to find this LP.

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=shelagh+mcdonald+stargazer&x=20&y=11

• 2 weeks later...
Guest petesasqwax

down sides of your closest friends being amongst your favourite producers: they refuse to let you pay for any of their releases, but frequently forget to send you them. you feel like a twat if you remind them, so you don't. then the run sells out and you don't get one.

Guest petesasqwax

Senor Rock Well - what's the deal with Hypnotic Brass Ensemble? How would you describe them? I would just google and listen but I have no sound here right now

Well, to my ears they sound a little different to anyone else out there. Although they're a band of just brass musicians plus a drummer like so many New Orleans bands its definitely a different sound and also different and a much higher calibre to many of the other "me too" brass bands that have sprung up recently.

All but the drummer, are brothers or half brothers and the sons of jazz trumpeter Phil Cohran who played with everyone from Jay McShann to Sun Ra, then opened a black arts centre cum concert hall in Chicago. Cohran became an all round composer, arranger, teacher, etc. people he taught in cludes members of Earth Wind & Fire and of course his owns sons.

To me, HBE sound like what they are - people who grew up behind a concert hall as the sons of a classically trained musician, but who also were raised on a diet of hip hop at the same time. They have done a couple of cover versions, but they were done with class and its not their main thing by any means. The best of there own compositions are kind of hypnotic as the name suggests and with a lot of harmonies between the different instruments.

When I get home tonight I will be starting a thread with my favourite songs/videos. If you have a chance to get to a computer with speakers/headphones before then, head straight to a YouTube video of them performing one of there original songs "War" on Jools Holland of all places... They absolutely smash it despite the fact that all the audience apparently died on the way into the studio. Also this performance was recorded on overhead condenser mics, so while its a bit bassless for it, all the instruments meld together to sound epic.

Guest petesasqwax

Splendid - cheers a load mate. Personally, I'm obsessed with psych-rock but I have a lot of time for that end of jazz too, particularly if it's infused with hip-hop on a genuine level (i.e. with a drummer who understands the genre, not with a producer who slaps on a breakbeat). Since thursday I've been painting ceilings and building furniture, listening to a load of different things, the standout probably being this which is one of my favourite records of recent years and one of the best debut albums ever:

http://www.discogs.com/Goat-World-Music/release/3818739?ev=item-vc

I've bought more records in the last four months than in the last four years - finally having a job pays off! (In money and such)

Rockwell: Have you listened to the band I've posted recently? I love Hypnotic Brass Ensemble and these guys are equally great!

• 3 weeks later...