WD40 on Cross-fader Y/N?

djdj

If you ask me i'd say put whatwever type of oil/lube you want on your fader. Just make sure it's only a small amount on the rails.

Of course everyone knows you dont put anything on the contacts of the fader.

Guest Deeswift

Avoid WD though, it flies off the rails (because it's thin) and coats the contacts, usually causing bleeding / leaking of the sound in the fader OFF position. If you're really stuck for lube, regular 3-in-1 type of stuff will work fine.

If you ask me i'd say put whatwever type of oil/lube you want on your fader. Just make sure it's only a small amount on the rails.

Of course everyone knows you dont put anything on the contacts of the fader.

I put lube on the contacts too.

Guest Mike Reezy

I always use some type of gun oil. If you can get the teflon based shit, that works best. They sell it anywhere that they sell guns. Dont put too much you only need a drop.

Oh yea make sure to clean contacts and rails with isopropyl alcohol before lubing. then lube contacts and rails with the: gun oil,sewing machine oil,fishing reel oil, cail lube etc but dont use wd40 its just plain wrong.......

oh and try to get the non-areosol kind of oil, like in droplets form, the compressant shit is bad for the contacts I think.

always worked for me, I dont think I would ever buy caillube unless my contacts got really faded and were crackling all types of ish.

Guest Deeswift

Back to WD40 and lubing contacts... Whatever anyone says, you shouldn't lube the contacts. You are literally restricting the contact by putting something in between the carbon (ALPS) or polycarbonate (PCV) strips and the little metal contact brushes. If faders were meant to be lubed on the contacts they'd make 'em like that. Otherwise, we would have learned that it's a good thing years ago, seeing as many of us have been modding faders for aeons.

@ MIKE: Word, gun oil is very good. I had a little bottle of that shit and it kept me going for about 3 years (and all my friends faders too). It was originally the aerosol type (that's all we could get, we're not so trigger happy over here), but I sprayed the contents into a glass pill bottle and it stored just fine. My fader used to FLY with that shit on the rails. I'd also slightly depress the wire contact brushes, then mod the fader with parcel tape, and BAM, both my old ALPS and PCV's used to ROCK. I got fed up of people like Danny Vanalli breaking my fader stems though, so I had to take the plunge and buy a P&G. Now, this fader can be modded, but it's totally pointless because the cut-in time and cut-in point of the fader are instant. I love it. Guess what? I just broke my stem. At least P&G make repair kits, which is more than can be said for that 3 month old PCV I had to throw in the trash. F'kin Vestax lack of quality control pisses me off... [/rant]

In order to put any fader in any mixer, you'd have to have a lot of money. For example, you can't buy a ttm56 fader. You'd have to pull it out of a working ttm56, but why would you? You could put an eternal, or a pioneer magnetic fader, or a samurai in any kinda mixer, but you'd have to wire in a lot of extra circuitry. It wouldn't be worth your time.

Jesus you reply fast!

Aye maybe. I'd like to look into it a bit more though.

If i had a spare 600 i would have a rane no bother, but thats one overpriced mixer if ive ever seen one.

but you'd have to wire in a lot of extra circuitry.

I thought it would be as much as changing a few wires and maybe the plug at the end of the fader, but if you're sure it would take all new circuitry and shit, then i obviously wouldnt bother.

*Jesus you reply fast*

I was talkin to steve btw, sticky just got in the way :d