Community Skratch starts this week!

NozL

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We normally end up with a freestyle at the end but not super long. Like 15 mins or something.

The thing is 90% of scratch shows are shit. No atmosphere, everyone bored, a bunch of people with their heads down ahhing over a beat.

When we done the first event here the guy organising it said he was gonna do set showcases with a little music between it. I was a little sceptical thinking there should be more freestyles, jams ect. I was totally wrong. the way it works is like a propper show. Keeps it interesting and more professional. Gives people time to digest things and enjoy the shows too without getting bored at watching 45 mins of ahhh fresh. At every one so far there has been a killer atmosphere with people right into it as can be seen on the comunity scratch vids.

I have been to a few other scratch jams around the world where it has been nothing like that and a bit boring and this exact reason is why.

Having said that there has always been a freestyle at the end. ;)

when we did "a kut above the rest" we tried to make it more of a performance at one point, cos really cutting is only interesting to those who cut after about 5 minutes. and there's only about 20 of them there and these guys weren't heavy drinkers.

ahh but this is all performances to people who are heavy drinkers and no one gives a fuck, no adgenda.

even girls dance!

We normally end up with a freestyle at the end but not super long. Like 15 mins or something.

The thing is 90% of scratch shows are shit. No atmosphere, everyone bored, a bunch of people with their heads down ahhing over a beat.

When we done the first event here the guy organising it said he was gonna do set showcases with a little music between it. I was a little sceptical thinking there should be more freestyles, jams ect. I was totally wrong. the way it works is like a propper show. Keeps it interesting and more professional. Gives people time to digest things and enjoy the shows too without getting bored at watching 45 mins of ahhh fresh. At every one so far there has been a killer atmosphere with people right into it as can be seen on the comunity scratch vids.

I have been to a few other scratch jams around the world where it has been nothing like that and a bit boring and this exact reason is why.

Having said that there has always been a freestyle at the end. ;)

Quoted for truth. Even if everyone was a really high standard (which often isn't the case) open turntable freestyles are just a bit shit. You don't go see a band and then they invite every man and his dog up to twang a guitar at the end... so yeah, no open freestyles please.

Ps you're a fanny for not coming to Leeds.

Ps you're a fanny for not coming to Leeds.

Ah man, Tell me about it. Would have been great to have a catch up with you guys too : ( Oh well.

On another note, Took my rane up to the guys and finally got to meet Fluins and Crick and also have a cut with Hate Tank, Those guys and Lone Wolf. Oh dear. You guys are in for a treat. There is some serious cutting like. Dizammm.

It was a bit thin on the ground crowd wise but there was a hell of a lot of badness going down.

I saw a couple of mates I've not seen for ages too so it was a top night from my point of view.

I can't help thinking if it had been in one of the bars on call lane with a window onto the street it would have pulled in a lot more passing traffic just out of curiosity.

Hope the rest of the tour goes well anyway.

Thanks to everyone who made it down last night. Great to meet people up there. Jimmy Penguin's show was absolutely unbelievable. It was Jimmy Hatetank's birthday so we went on early and drank cocktails out of vases all night.

In Nottingham already, so going to take it easy today. Hopefully see some of you tonight at Jam Cafe (8pm)

Firstly, apologies to Dex - must have been the facial hair, but I didn't immediately recognise you!

Great to see familiar faces and equally cool to see DJs performing instead of battling. Loved the GoD stuff, and Jimmy Penguin was incredible. Like Rich says, I have no idea how you guys will fit a full bill into a single evening. +50 on the ultra pitch perhaps?

Anyway, for those wavering about going - stop being pussies and get to your nearest Community Scratch Games gig. Support these guys and have a killer evening of scratch music.