Who's up for DV Collab Mix 2?

Steve

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest loop skywalker

can i play??

It will have to fall on a weekend night tho,and the recording quality will be a little shit (mini disc recording ..nay computer IN SCRATCH LAIR)

I would like to be on this one! what do I need to do? except for mix!

It works like this........I make a 5 minute mix and pass it on to Wax who adds his 5 minutes and so on until everyone's added their bit. Try and make it easy for the next person if you can - leave some blank beat at the end of your section or whatever. When you've added your bit, export the mix as a WAV file, convert it to FLAC, then upload it and give the link to whoever is next in line. We use WAV/FLAC to preserve the sound quality, but it means the files can be large.

Loop - You can cut/scratch/juggle - do whatever you like mate. The more you can pack in to your 5 minutes, the better really.

The main things to consider are - be quick and don't leave people waiting for you to get your 5 minutes done. Make sure you know how to record properly. Listen to what people have done before you so there's no repeated tunes. That's about it.

Oh yeah - Don't post any incomplete versions of the mix on the forum. Just do your bit and pass it on. The last person will pass it to me, I'll try my best to master it and get it sounding good, then I'll post it up. Also, I'll include a track listing in a text file. Add the tracks you've used to it, then pass that on to the next person along with the mix.

I would like to be on this one! what do I need to do? except for mix!

It works like this........I make a 5 minute mix and pass it on to Wax who adds his 5 minutes and so on until everyone's added their bit. Try and make it easy for the next person if you can - leave some blank beat at the end of your section or whatever. When you've added your bit, export the mix as a WAV file, convert it to FLAC, then upload it and give the link to whoever is next in line. We use WAV/FLAC to preserve the sound quality, but it means the files can be large.

Loop - You can cut/scratch/juggle - do whatever you like mate. The more you can pack in to your 5 minutes, the better really.

The main things to consider are - be quick and don't leave people waiting for you to get your 5 minutes done. Make sure you know how to record properly. Listen to what people have done before you so there's no repeated tunes. That's about it.

Oh yeah - Don't post any incomplete versions of the mix on the forum. Just do your bit and pass it on. The last person will pass it to me, I'll try my best to master it and get it sounding good, then I'll post it up. Also, I'll include a track listing in a text file. Add the tracks you've used to it, then pass that on to the next person along with the mix.

erm... maybe I should wait for the next one! I dont know what a flac file is. I know what a wav file is. can I use a mac will it work with logic? I know shit all about computers. is it emailed to the next person?

I see it like this you email me the mix so far I add my bit on logic and send it to the next person I then send a text file to the next person with a trsck listing is this right?

FLAC shrinks the file to about half the size so it's easier to pass around, but unlike MP3 it's lossless, so you can convert from FLAC to WAV back and forth and the sound quality never degrades. Just think of it a bit like a ZIP file in this case. When you receive the file, you convert it to WAV, work on it, then when you're done, convert it back to FLAC again to pass on.

The FLAC encoder is free and there are versions for most operating systems including OS X: -

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

You'll have no problems using it. I don't know about the OS X version, but on the Windows version you drag the WAV file into the program window and hit "Encode". If you want to convert a FLAC file back to WAV, drag it into the program window and hit "Decode" instead. It's that simple.

Guest loop skywalker

fuckin sweet.....im deffo in on this fucker...5 mins is cool too,are you looking for multitracked mixes (which i cant do) or straight live fire?

FLAC shrinks the file to about half the size so it's easier to pass around, but unlike MP3 it's lossless, so you can convert from FLAC to WAV back and forth and the sound quality never degrades. Just think of it a bit like a ZIP file in this case. When you receive the file, you convert it to WAV, work on it, then when you're done, convert it back to FLAC again to pass on.

The FLAC encoder is free and there are versions for most operating systems including OS X: -

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

You'll have no problems using it. I don't know about the OS X version, but on the Windows version you drag the WAV file into the program window and hit "Encode". If you want to convert a FLAC file back to WAV, drag it into the program window and hit "Decode" instead. It's that simple.

cool im in! I know what your on aboot now I just chatted to the more technical of my friends and they said it was easy and laughed at me alot! I can do five mins anywhere so just put me where you want!