How Wack is.........

djfoly

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've djed in all settings: empty bars, full ass clubs with over 300 people etc...of course the latter is more rewarding, but when you dj in an empty room you can start playing tracks you've really wanted to pump over a loud system before...but yeah the empty room sucks.

Tomorrow I'ma be djing in a setting where it can be either cram packed with 300 people plus, or it's gonna be dead empty, which would really suck.

The night Matt's coming over to play at will be cram packed though and should turn out to be the fucking bomb.

Also one of the reason's I've stopped going to hiphop nights is because you never know what the party's gonna be like. If you go to minimal/tech house/electro nights, you know there are always gonna be the pill poppers and line snorters around, so that party will most definitely be burning...at least that's our scene here in switzerland...

pee.z

Some interesting points. I cant play anything but hip hop funk and soul and maybe jazz! I just dont like other music enough! electro/dubstep/d&b/house all that shit I could make maaaaad money playing that shit. My friend ritchie ruftone plays nuttin but the chrts at his night in the burgh and he rakes it in...........But is he really happy?

The reason I stopped playing hiphop was displayed to me last night. Every single hiphop dj will be playing

a) charts

b) fat man scoop "put your hands up" av8 type records

c) beyonce, mj blige, dr. dre, jay z etc.

d) "older classics" such as: get your freak on, or perhaps even beatnuts watch out now or something like that

So basically all of them are unoriginal cock sucking bitches - and don't get me wrong I djed in clubs doing the same thing for over 5 years. and I too was a cock sucking bitch of the chart-"""""""hiphop"""""""" industry.

I just can't stand those tracks anymore.

Now when I came on (I play electro/minimal these days) I started off with two "hits" - and after I had caught the crowds attention with those two tracks was able to switch to tracks which I think an electro crowd might like: i.e. stuff that's pumping. And the crowd appreciates it. They don't want to know the track they want to feel the track. And when you can chose a track which is not well known but you love and the people go crazy, that's the most rewarding feeling ever. And I never found a hiphop crowd that reacted that way. Hence I lost my interest in djing for people with no taste in music.

That's where my PS goes out to lorn: I always told you dresden would kill a crowd. You should have heard the screams...fucking amazing hearing it at 100db ;o)

pee.z

yep...and then the occasional: if you're wearing red underwear put your hands up, put your hands up. if your a wack cocks sucker put your hands up, put your hands up.

dude you could have fat man scoop rap anything and people would' be screaming yeah...fucking ridiiculous...

• 2 weeks later...
Some interesting points. I cant play anything but hip hop funk and soul and maybe jazz! I just dont like other music enough! electro/dubstep/d&b/house all that shit I could make maaaaad money playing that shit. My friend ritchie ruftone plays nuttin but the chrts at his night in the burgh and he rakes it in...........But is he really happy?

I find that hip hop nights are very unreliable where crowds are concerned, it's just hard nowadays to pull in enough heads, if there are enough around. Foly start exploring that other sh*t, I was stunned when I was doing a gig with Shiftee last week and he pulls out his electro house set. I was seriously shocked - 'what? you're an American hip hop battle DJ?' I know we DJs are getting versatile and there's even a bit of stereotypicism in there but I was taken aback nontheless. I guess I'll be exploring house music in the new year...

i thought i replied to this. anyway i spun at a club for 20 people. then these girls came up to me and asked me if i had any britney spears. after i laughed and said hell no, the crowd became about 7 people. one of the most embarrassing times in my life. but i got free beers at the bar so it was ok. oh and the owner was trying to make us pay him so me and my homies sneaked out his decks and mixer out the back while the bouncers were chattin up all seven girls.

I find that hip hop nights are very unreliable where crowds are concerned, it's just hard nowadays to pull in enough heads, if there are enough around. Foly start exploring that other sh*t, I was stunned when I was doing a gig with Shiftee last week and he pulls out his electro house set. I was seriously shocked - 'what? you're an American hip hop battle DJ?' I know we DJs are getting versatile and there's even a bit of stereotypicism in there but I was taken aback nontheless. I guess I'll be exploring house music in the new year...

Don't stop at house music! Explore all genres, if you look into any genre/scene hard enough I'm sure you'll find something you like. I genuinely believe I could play a set of any genre requested and still play tunes I enjoy, just some times you gotta look harder than others.

Cant remember if i wrote in here or not, anyway....

Ive djed to 1000's and ive djed to 15 people.

Ive even had gigs been cancelled because no one showed up.

Ive gotten new shows from doing shows,

ive gotten laid from doing shows,

ive got paid great for shows, and paid bad for shows.

All in all each show i learn something new from each show and the most important is i make new friends at shows, and get shitfaced with them.

I just djed in a small town in Austria last week, i was told there will be a minimum of 300 people there as it was the start of snowboarding season (and i was spinning in a snowboard resort)

I get there and there town is snowed in :((

The snow is literally up to my knees,

there is 30 people there, including staff maybe pushing 40 (maybe)

The promoter/owner of the bar apologizes to me so much, i was like hey...honestly its cool.....

the people who are hear obviously like hip hop and good music, so id rather spin to 40 people what i wanna play, instead of spin to 300 idiots who wanna hear shit.

So we did shot after shot of jager drank a 100 beers smoked joint after joint, and i can honestly say by the time i finished there was 12 to 15 left and it was one of the most enjoyable shows ive done in years!

The next morning i went snowboarding for the first time ever!

Check it,

so 1 guy i was drinking with owns a snowboarding shop, he gave me a free board and boots, anothe rguy i met and was drinking with met me at 10am and drove me up the mountain and taught me how to snowboard,

the promoter gave me all the clothes i needed,

so i could say oooh i played to 15 people last night and be real negative, but look at what happened because of it, i got to meet some people (i wouldnt of talked to these guys if there was 300 and full of girls)

i still got payed my full fee, and had an amazing night.

The next night i djed in Zurich (last Saturday)

again a BRILLIANT day

MOP were playing, got guestlist for the balcony, left there went to my show, about 700 people there ALL COMMERCIAL

i really didnt enjoy any of my set at all.

Still got shitfaced, went back to my hotel (a 4 star hotel) and who comes in the lobby right after me?

M O fucking P!!!!!

We hang out and talk smack for about an hour before i pass out.

Once again a shit gig but great night.

I do so many shows now that a great show is rare, i try to play in spots where there will be real heads (getting rarer these days)

So i try enjoy my experiences around the show.

On that note, London im hoping to be back in February with Marc Stretch of Foreign Legion.

I guarantee you whether there is 30 or 300 people there you will not see you people on stage having more fun!

<3 Flapper

i thought i replied to this. anyway i spun at a club for 20 people. then these girls came up to me and asked me if i had any britney spears. after i laughed and said hell no, the crowd became about 7 people. one of the most embarrassing times in my life. but i got free beers at the bar so it was ok. oh and the owner was trying to make us pay him so me and my homies sneaked out his decks and mixer out the back while the bouncers were chattin up all seven girls.

fucking bang on!!! owners who try and hustle your money out of you for trying to promote their night which would have only been empty anyway should all book you and have their equipment stolen. fucking a+ bro. big fan :)

its all about the proportion of people to how big the venue is. ive played to 100+ people in a huge ass venue and it looked really dead and ive played to 40 people in a small dive bar and it was live as fuck.

and like flipflop said, id rather play to a small crowd feelin what im into then cater to a big crowd anyway.

At Uni there was a class night put on... in 1 room there was rodney P and the other the Flaredy cats... I shit you not there were more bar staff in the flaredy cats room than customers! at its peak there were 6 people in the room! We didnt minf though cos me and my mate just sat and chilled with them all night... it was so quiet we were tempted to ask if we could jump on hte decks and session with them becasue nobody would mind!

was that matman and wooze? I'd been out for dinner with my missus and was suited and booted but thought fuck it and mat put me on the guestlist for it. went into that backroom and there was about 10 people or something standing in front of them. one kid kept saying to the missus "these guys are amazing" and it was pretty surreal. they were hella tight, but the place was falling apart and there was no-one there. the promoters must've paid a fortune doing those nights. the problem to me was the residents weren't good nor were they established enough locally for people to be interested in what the flaredycats were doing.

I've had weekly residencies and its always been on the cards that mid month venues would be quiet, and even though I tried to prepare to it being quiet I've still found it a little soul destroying. in such cases i always find myself getting more experimental with what I play and try to view it as a 5 hour practice session, doing more juggles, cutting stuff up, mashing stuff together.

When there are people there I've always tried to find the balance in keeping themusic accessible without going down the root of playing straight classics / party hiphop. I've not always succeeded but on the flip side when you do have a room full of merry people dancing away I find it quite easy to sneak stuff in that they're never likely to have heard before but still bug out to.

Some of the worst gigs have been birthday parties, one where all they wanted was "smooth rnb" which I have no idea nor desire to know about.

A couple of months ago I had to cover at a girl's 18th birthday party. on paper I think, cool, 18 year old girls. then I get into it, playing funk, disco and party hiphop , and after an hour someone comes up and asks for something "we know" then reels of a request list of shit I don't know. I need to learn to be slightly more diplomatic and tell them to fuck off in the nicest possible way, instead of engaging them

lol the best diplomatic fuck off i have heard is in that how to dj properly book, and you say 'oh, shit, i have it but i could only get so much into my crates for tonight. i'll try and play something along the same lines that you'll like'. it's amazing that i've been djing out for less than four years, and probably actively for only two within that, but in that time that line won't work anymore because you're now expected to have everything since the year dot on your dvs.

also i think that whole rodney p tour was doomed if it's the same one, iirc there was a rodney p gig at welly in hull a few years back with about 10 people in the 500 people front room, he went round and chatted with everyone that came apparently, which is the soundest thing i've ever heard. i would have been there but i think i was breaking the bed on my ever groupie (she was live-o too actually so i'm not tooooo pissed off).

I played to about 15 people last night because the town was dead but I was able to play what the hell i wanted and it was great. Bit of funk and a bit of triphop and everyone was liking it and being chatty and a couple of the guys who were sitting at the bar near the beginning asked me to do some cutting for them so that was fun :) I lost money but had a laugh, so it was all good. I'm hopefully going to make a ton on my next one so it all balances out!