Are people interested in learning beat juggling stuff?

Vekked

I want to eventually (circa christmas time) start making some x2k-esque beat juggling videos for youtube to try and fill the void in beat juggling information online, and clear up some of that atrocious misinformation being spread by certain dj tutorial videos on youtube (lol)...

But I have to know that at least a few people are interested in them and wanna check them out, and I need help on structuring how I'm going to do it. My plan is to make it sort of like a 'course' with specific technique demonstrations/lessons/discussions/drills, so that if someone were to try to learn how to do tapping or chasing from one of my vids, they'd effin know how to do it after, there'd be no steps missing or unclear explanations.

As somewhat of a disclaimer, I'm by no means an amazing juggler, though I hope to be someday, but I don't intend on making the videos advanced, just most of the basics, but done thoroughly, as well as offering some ideas about structuring routines, picking beats, etc.

Sowhaddyasay?

Do it Vekked, I'm a bit slow at getting new stuff up at the moment but I will tell you one thing...the breakdown I did of Babu's blind alley video went down a storm, if you can be arsed to break down famous juggles & routines (providing the original DJ doesn't mind) then they will be very well received. I plan to do some more but it's finding the time.

Also if you do some good vids I'm quite happy to post them up on my blog to get you a bit more coverage with them if you wanted....if not then no worries ;)

haha, word, I saw your blind alley breakdown, it was sick, and that will definitely work into the 'routine making/composition' sort of stuff I might get into after a bit

the vids you do are pretty much on par with what I have in my head, just with some more structure and direction from lesson to lesson... just because so many people juggle like monkeys and apparently need a bit more spoon-feeding, loll

it'll be like Juggling For Dummies

I've been getting good feedback from my youtube scratch videos.

I don't claim to be a master, but if you know how something is done, and you don't see a good explanation of it online, then as long as you explain it well it's a valuable contribution.

The "slow it down and break it down" approach seems to go down well.

I have to say I have given up juggling I think for good! I was never good at it and I find that people expect high quality from a juggle these days. In saying that I did enjoy x's breakdoon of the blind alley juggle and I did have a go after I seen it. so maybe its just what I need!

i always thought id be cool if some1 did a beat juggle routine but then also hosted the song somewhere for download for the serato heads! means you dont have to find out what song it is or one similar (this is obviously only an issue if the song is not well known).

but yeah id be interested i really liked x2k's ones and im always interested when he brings new shit out - even if he has been a bit crap these days!

You make him a mod and look what happens...

Seriously for a minute though, videos can be helpful, but a lot of the essential learning comes from the hours and hours of trying to figure things out for yourself. You might even come up with something original.

Seriously for a miunte though, videos can be helpful, but a lot of the essential learning comes from the hours and hours of trying to figure things out for yourself. You might even come up with something original.

Sacrilege!

I want to download my battle routines from iTunes...

Seriously for a minute though, videos can be helpful, but a lot of the essential learning comes from the hours and hours of trying to figure things out for yourself. You might even come up with something original.

no doubt, I mean, teaching people scratch techniques doesn't mean they'll make good scratch routines, or flow nice, or learn how to put combo's together... but it gives them the tools to do so if they put their mind to it...

with juggling it seems like people don't even have the tools, like some routines I see are little more than looping with the odd baby scratch thrown in... and I feel like if you were to somehow compare the relative complexity of your average beat juggle routine to your average scratch routine, the scratch routines are generally a lot higher... because most of these scratchers can execute the basics at some level (stabs, chirps, transforms), but most of these 'beat jugglers' can't chase or tap if their lives depended on it...

even the recent world DMC champs are doing less beat juggling, and more scratching drums on one side while the beat plays on the other, then rewinding the beat or hitting the brake on the playing side and doing a scratch drum pattern... or doing a simple chase with all of the variation in sound being pressed on the vinyl to simulate some sort of epic crescendo that ends off with fast looping of snare rolls... F-

Since so many of the best juggles are unique to a particular record, I stand by my original point. It's all well and good to teach a technique but the juggles that stand out are the ones that don't use those particular techniques (the one-two, the strobe etc).

Since so many of the best juggles are unique to a particular record, I stand by my original point. It's all well and good to teach a technique but the juggles that stand out are the ones that don't use those particular techniques (the one-two, the strobe etc).

Yes and no. True a good juggle is about how you rearrange the particular sounds you have to work with and is unique to what record you have and that simple bust "technique" after "technique" doesn't make it a good juggle. However those techniques are the tools which get you there. For me building a juggle is partly mental but more often that not it comes from feeling when I mess about until something comes out and then I start to think about how to progress that idea (I may be alone on this I don't know?), without having the patterns and movements I've gathered over the years (these may not be specific techniques as such) then "flowing" would be alot harder as would getting down the patterns in my head.

Techniques will no make a good juggle or a good scratch freestyle/routine, flow will, but the techniques give you things to flow between.

That's just my 2 euro cents

no doubt, I mean, teaching people scratch techniques doesn't mean they'll make good scratch routines, or flow nice, or learn how to put combo's together... but it gives them the tools to do so if they put their mind to it...

with juggling it seems like people don't even have the tools, like some routines I see are little more than looping with the odd baby scratch thrown in... and I feel like if you were to somehow compare the relative complexity of your average beat juggle routine to your average scratch routine, the scratch routines are generally a lot higher... because most of these scratchers can execute the basics at some level (stabs, chirps, transforms), but most of these 'beat jugglers' can't chase or tap if their lives depended on it...

even the recent world DMC champs are doing less beat juggling, and more scratching drums on one side while the beat plays on the other, then rewinding the beat or hitting the brake on the playing side and doing a scratch drum pattern... or doing a simple chase with all of the variation in sound being pressed on the vinyl to simulate some sort of epic crescendo that ends off with fast looping of snare rolls... F-

Jubus christ is that last paragraph the truth! I have tried to say that to people before but they wouldnt listen saying that they are actually doing really complex juggles. If you look at total eclipse or Mello D the difficulty levels of doing that type of juggle are through the roof. Chasing in particular I find difficult coz there is no room for mistakes if your out your out and it sounds shit! with the new style you described you can get away with being a bit more csrappy and it will still sound tight!