Getting The Confidence To Not Have To Blaze It When You are Cutting In Public

Blak Randy

Biggest mistake I (And I recon nearly everyone) makes when they scratch in public (Shows, battles ect.) is that they feel like they have to really blaze it to impress people. It ends up sounding monotone, boring, posibbly sloppy. It's also difficult and doesn't really inspire you neither.

Next time you cut in public try and not worry about blasing it. Try and be a little funky and whatch how much more people appreciate it and how it makes your fast ish stand out.

I probably haven't explained myself very welll here but I know what I mean and the idea is to start a thread to get people to discuss it and explain it better.

This problem is ego driven...it the need to get everyone to "look at me, I'm amazing". If the truth been told simple cuts will get you much more noticed unless you are playing to nerds...busting a few stabs will interest a crowd more.

If you want to flow and make nice sounds without the worry of getting everyones attention then more complex techniques will fit better.

That being said, I'm playing tonight and I imagine I'll just chirp flare at everyone at warp speed.

That's what I reckon anyway ;)

one word: uzi's ;)

when i first started i had a tendancy to stick a scratch loop on and cut over it for 5 mins in a 'look at me!!!' type way, it just bored people. nowadays i use scratching in certain sections of tracks or when bringing in tunes, no solo stuff unless i'm asked and then i do it at the end of my set.

LOL just realized this WASN'T about lighting up a J before performing (the terminology threw me off).

So here's the re-edit...

In terms of being simple...yeah I think its all in context. Its all in the placement at the end of the day.

I teach dj'ing / scratching pretty regularly and always stress to students that I'd rather hear simple & clean vs. technical/fast/sloppy ANYDAY.

That's what makes guys like D-Styles great...not pushing 100% at all times...but like any mix dj would select the right tunes at the right time...same goes for cuts.

- word.

This problem is ego driven...it the need to get everyone to "look at me, I'm amazing". If the truth been told simple cuts will get you much more noticed unless you are playing to nerds...busting a few stabs will interest a crowd more.

exactly. but why would you be doing anything fancy if you ain't scratching in front of scratch nerds anyway?

I played out last night, I couldn't hear a fucking thing but I soldiered on and did some (by my standards) clever stuff..did anyone care? no! Then for a laugh I do the old juggling behind you back thing which is fucking shit and the everyone goes fucking wild and keeps banging on about it for the rest of the night...proper pissed me off, why work on proper shit when all people want you to do is act the fucking clown....bollocks to it, scratching is shit haha

^^^AAAAHAHAHAHA! RIGHT!? That's how it always is... I was in a battle once where the dood juggled coca bro (?) with the super mario beat... and everyone went insane and kept talking about how dope it was that he put in the supermario theme into that beat.... like he had actually made the beat... He won.

^^^AAAAHAHAHAHA! RIGHT!? That's how it always is... I was in a battle once where the dood juggled coca bro (?) with the super mario beat... and everyone went insane and kept talking about how dope it was that he put in the supermario theme into that beat.... like he had actually made the beat... He won.

lmao!!!

but i totally agree. i do find it harder to cut in public because i tend to lose that flow that i get when i cut alone or with somebody. i just dont zone out or get in touch with the music like i usually do. maybe it's fright or something?

its totally unique to the person.

i smoke before shows sometimes but it depends on the venue, the people etc.. if its abroad at a festival its mandatory! if its a pub in guilford full of cokeheads its best to be "On the ball" so to speak ;)

i say also that if you cut for 5 mins sober or not it'll still bore the shit out of people, most regular people that you would probably call "mainstream" might actually like your music but you're killing it by slathering cuts all over it like so much peanut butter and jelly with extra chocolate sauce!

people appreciate what they can understand, don't force feed em or theyll hate you for it.

lol, nice post Jim but I think you're the second person in this thread to mis-interpreted Adam's use of the word blaze...he's referred to cutting flat out power cuts to show off rather than smoking.

its totally unique to the person.

i smoke before shows sometimes but it depends on the venue, the people etc.. if its abroad at a festival its mandatory! if its a pub in guilford full of cokeheads its best to be "On the ball" so to speak ;)

Hahaha. Jim, When I said blaze it I meant scratch all out, really fast, technical ect. Lol. Nothing to do with smokin the derp. lol

I mostly disagree with this. I think its important to push yourself live. I dont care about how other people are feeling especially the coke heads...........they can suck my balls! if it bores them then hopefully they will leave. In fact I've started doing it deliberately in response to those annoying "Girls in dresses" that come up to you coked up asking for babyshambles or some shit, thats a 20 minute 4 person experimental routine she just ordered!!!!!

Seriously though I find 2 things help when scratching to the unworthy. firstly scratch with a vocal sample and start by playing it through a couple of times then cut it up simple then fuckin ruin it. the other is turn your cuts up so they can hear it. that really works!

Also although most things in life are ego driven I think wanting to share your passion with others is not as bad as pandering to them and playing what you think they want to hear so they will like you more!

I mostly disagree with this. I think its important to push yourself live. I dont care about how other people are feeling especially the coke heads...........they can suck my balls! if it bores them then hopefully they will leave. In fact I've started doing it deliberately in response to those annoying "Girls in dresses" that come up to you coked up asking for babyshambles or some shit, thats a 20 minute 4 person experimental routine she just ordered!!!!!

Seriously though I find 2 things help when scratching to the unworthy. firstly scratch with a vocal sample and start by playing it through a couple of times then cut it up simple then fuckin ruin it. the other is turn your cuts up so they can hear it. that really works!

Also although most things in life are ego driven I think wanting to share your passion with others is not as bad as pandering to them and playing what you think they want to hear so they will like you more!

I'm not with you here. I don't think blazing it and doing a load of fast flares to impress people is pushing yourself. I think that is easy. I think it's harder to chill and be funky.

shit! I need to say that I dont disagree that it should be funky and musical! I think I may have misunderstood a bit. If all your doing is fast flare combos then I agree with you totaly but if you build up to it or include them then I think thats good!

Hope thats clear!

Like I said, its not about impressing people its about having fun doing what you love and sharing that. Thats the way I look at it anyway!

I think that's what Adam was saying in the original post lol

THIS IS OFFICIALLY THE MOST MIS-UNDERSTOOD THREAD OF 2008!

shit! I need to say that I dont disagree that it should be funky and musical! I think I may have misunderstood a bit. If all your doing is fast flare combos then I agree with you totaly but if you build up to it or include them then I think thats good!

Hope thats clear!

Lol. Tom is right. We are actually both saying exactly the same thing.

I originaly meant that sometimes when you cut in public you just lose control and just bust out fast flares in some atempt to impress people.

I was meaning it's nice to get the confidence to do what you really want to and not feel like having to do this.

I'm pretty sure that's what you were saying too.