What makes each of us as djs unique?

squaddy

I've been wondering, what is it you think that you bring to the table as a dj that makes you stand out? How do these qualities or skills prove successful or unsuccessful? When you think about it, the game is over saturated with djs of all kinds. It's become very difficult to get that break that some of us sought after. I have spent hours, sometimes just pondering; "how the hell can I get ahead in this game?" These 'pondering sessions' however, have been of no avail. So...share your thoughts and responses, the floor is opened. :p

"how the hell can I get ahead in this game?"

If you're talking about general DJing - mixing and DJing in clubs - I'd say it's more to do with who you know and luck than anything else.

word.. Iv'e been in a million bars with a million wank dj's. I was in Ibiza back in 98 chillin in a bar and the dj was so shit my mates blagged me 45mins there & then playing his records...kinda embarrising for the guy but a great night for me. If your friends with a promotor or bar owner then you'll have an easy time of it.. its all about networking.

If you're talking about general DJing - mixing and DJing in clubs - I'd say it's more to do with who you know and luck than anything else.

True, as it concerns general djing but it's getting to know the important people, that seems to be the challenge-every other dj is already standing in line trying to get their chance.

What about a straight up scratch dj? Having dope skills is one thing but I guess it also boils down to who you know. No?

word.. Iv'e been in a million bars with a million wank dj's. I was in Ibiza back in 98 chillin in a bar and the dj was so shit my mates blagged me 45mins there & then playing his records...kinda embarrising for the guy but a great night for me. If your friends with a promotor or bar owner then you'll have an easy time of it.. its all about networking.

Got ya! I believe this is one of the reasons I hardly go out these days. I am a bit too critical as a dj listening to another.

myself i play pretty much just 45's no serato.

I'd describe my style as a smasher,droppin tunes little bit of mixin rewinds.stoppin the record and building a bit of hype.

And just generally playin the best records i can.

I hear that matt. In not so many words you're just doing what you feel is best for you-I'm with that!

myself i play pretty much just 45's no serato.

I'd describe my style as a smasher,droppin tunes little bit of mixin rewinds.stoppin the record and building a bit of hype.

And just generally playin the best records i can.

I hear that matt. In not so many words you're just doing what you feel is best for you-I'm with that!

he does play a very unique set... in a good way!

Being a good all-rounder....

Good examples - Jazzy Jeff, Shortee Blitz, Cash Money, Spinbad....

i would agree chris if jazzy jeff didn't always play the same set.

yeah.. it's a real shame, he's a real sick dj but the same old set on serato is boring.... It wouldn't even take him that long to get another party set together, so no excuses really

Being a good all-rounder....

Good examples - Jazzy Jeff, Shortee Blitz, Cash Money, Spinbad....

word i'd add Z-Trip in there too - combining skills with an exciting and unique music taste, if you can make a party/club rock and do it in a skillful way seperates you from the rest.

Unless you're known for your production or work as an artist I think getting gigs does come down to who you know though (which could also be applied to getting your name out as an artist/producer). Pretty much every dj gig I've ever got is through people I've networked/become friends with through record shops etc. Studio work has come through promotion on myspace etc.