Anyone know about the Stanton SA-5?

yea i like the look of that one better too.

Why stay away from vestax mixers?? I thought they were good quality....

Vestax are just built like crap. The sound quality isn't very good either. I'm sure i'm not the only one that will tell you this.

Saying that.. Early stanton mixers were awful too. but as i said i'm not up on the newer ones at all.

So aye... maybe i shouldn't have commented.. :$

The main reason I'd choose the Stanton is the faders. People used to buy P&G faders to upgrade their Vestax 05, 06 and 07 mixers, but you're getting 3 already fitted in the SA-5. The sound quality is good too. Dub will tell you more when he sees this thread (or PM him). There are a couple of older threads about the SA-5 on here somewhere too.

Here you go: -

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/inde...?showtopic=9796

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/inde...?showtopic=9272

From what I remember, not everyone liked the SA-5, but have a read and see what you think.

Thanks man, I didnt realize there were other threads about it already. Much appreciated

And thanks for the input about the vestax mixers Ryan, i've only had my decks for three months so im not very experienced with which mixers have good sound quality and which dont... I just saw that in almost every video i've watch online people are using vestax mixers or the all mighty rane mixer...mmmmmmmm.... so I just assumed Vestax was a good way to go

once you customize the fader all up, it's beautiful, second to rane/ecler type steeze, I might even say better than pioneer... the only problem (for me), is that if you are kinda hard on your fader, it's not the most durable, I broke 2 in two months, I think primarily due to juggling and hitting the fader against the edge repeatedly... but my fav mixer for the price for sure, you'd have to go double to get something better... plus the 3 band eq with kills is nice...

I got one a few months back. For the money (I paid sub £200) it is incredible. The P+Gs in mine are really nice now I've bypassed the circuit board and the sound quality is very very good.

BUT

It isn't without its faults. The upfader curve patterns are horrible. None of them are quite right and if you set both of the faders to the most tolerable pattern you get a weird sort of echo effect when cutting on the ups. So you have to set one to mid and on to cut or fade.

Also I don't know if this is just mine but it's a bit flakey. Every now and then the sound will just cut out or things just don't work how they're supposed to.. Power it off and on again and it's fine. TBH this isn't a problem for me because it's a bedroom mixer and nowt else but if I was gigging I wouldn't use this mixer in a club because I'd be too bothered about it conking out. As I say this could literally just be my unit though.

Oh yeah the 'popless' transform faders pop as well.

So there you go there's absolutely no denying for the money it is probably the best out there but it'ss definately not without its faults.

i;ve got a lot of different mixers, yet for straight cutting i still use the SA5. It's over 3 years old now and still on it's original faders.

never had any sound issues with mine, but agree with Dex, the up curves are crap.

never had a minutes bother with my 05 sl, dont know why they are being hated on so much. my cut in is sharp , mixer sounds good, never had a fader break the mixer does all i ask of it. i would say give both a try and make your own mind up. a lot of folk are jumping on the lets hate vestax bandwagon. they set the standard for battle mixers with the first little o5 mixers, every battle mixer since has pretty much bitten the lay out of the faders etc. by the way fuck p@g new faders by them are shite. id get the 05 and drop a pro x in there. result a fucking dope mixer.

once you customize the fader all up, it's beautiful, second to rane/ecler type steeze, I might even say better than pioneer... the only problem (for me), is that if you are kinda hard on your fader, it's not the most durable, I broke 2 in two months, I think primarily due to juggling and hitting the fader against the edge repeatedly... but my fav mixer for the price for sure, you'd have to go double to get something better... plus the 3 band eq with kills is nice...

customize the fader all up??

Like i said im still a beginner, so I'm not familiar with what all can be customized, what is best to customize, etc. Fill me in??

As for the Pro-X faders, whats the prices run, why are they better, and is it hard to switch them out?

If you have some time, take a look through the various reviews on skratchworx.com. They're extremely valuable and give you a good insight into what's important and what's not...

BTW on vestax: Yeah they had a pretty ruff time inbetween with building really crap mixers, but I've had my 05 for close to 10years and have replaced the crossfader once with a 1st generation png. Fucking class. What is bad with the old 05 though is the soundquality - if you compare it to a Xone, Ecler, Rane etc.

As I've advised other people as well before (on a different board) if you want to get a fucking quality scratch mixer at a decent price take a look at the ecler HAK-360 or lets say a Xone 02. Fucking amazing mixers within a very decent price range.

I don't know too much about stantons though, but I guess they're pretty decent aswell, due to that I don't read a lot of hating on them.

BTW: Customizing faders means modifying it. If you're new to the game: Most scratch djs end up customising they're faders: They change the cut-in of the crossfader (the almighty credit-card trick), they change the lags and what you used to have to do ages ago, was make the fader softer was well, so that you could actually do crabs and flares without breaking your fingers. If you read around skratchworx.com and other scratchboards you'll find tons of info regarding crossfader modifications. Luckily enough these days if you buy a HAK-360, rane or lets say a Rodec scratchbox, you hardly ever have to take the fader out and start rebuildiing it to fit your needs.

Hope that gives you some insight.

Welcome to the board by the way.

Pee.z

Aye, but the SA-5 is already 100 bucks cheaper than the 05 without fitting a Pro X Fade. If you're getting up to 500 dollars plus, you might as well save up the extra and get a Rane.

My opinion of the Pro X is not as high as it was. After a week or so, the fader cap became wobbly, plus the lag adjustments seem to move on their own from time to time and I have to take the fader out and reset them, which is a pain in the arse. I've heard a few other people say the same about the lag thing too.