What decks to buy...............

Steve

In the near future I'm gonna get some new decks, but I don't know what to buy. I've been looking at: -

Numark TT500

American Audio HTD 4.5

Stanton T120

They're all around the £200 mark. I want something fairly cheap that will do the job, both for mixing and scratching. I can't decide what to get, so your opinions would be welcome.

Oh yeah - I'm getting new gear cos one of my PDX is shagged. All the torque's just disappeared and it's like a fecking belt drive.

Numark TT500

American Audio HTD 4.5

Stanton T120

who's to say these will last any longer?

you want build quality? then get a tech.

Hav'nt you got about 15 dub?

2 pairs of PDX, one pair of 1210's 4 mixers and a QFO. :d

I haven't used any of those decks but I've used the Stanton ST-150s and the ST-100 (i think) and I was well impressed with them, so if you T-120s are built anything like them then I don't think you be dissappointed.

Then again who better to listen to than the mighty Gizmo, it must be worth at least checking the one he mentioned.

Numark TT500

American Audio HTD 4.5

Stanton T120

you want build quality? then get a tech.

Hav'nt you got about 15 dub?
2 pairs of PDX, one pair of 1210's 4 mixers and a QFO. :d

Greedy fuck, gimme a pair of PDXs, I need more torque & more pitch!

Who's to say they won't? That's why I'm asking. :p

There's a guy on eBay called array-systems that sells a pair of brand new Stanton STR8150s a week. I got outbid at the last minute last year and was so close to winning a pair for £320. I might wait and see if I can get lucky, but just recently they've been going for £500ish. I wonder where he gets them from.

There's a guy on eBay called array-systems that sells a pair of brand new Stanton STR8150s a week. I got outbid at the last minute last year and was so close to winning a pair for £320. I might wait and see if I can get lucky, but just recently they've been going for £500ish. I wonder where he gets them from.

If you can I reckon you should, I love the 150s and they are solid enough to kill a large animal (they weigh about twice the weight of a 1210).

Yeah, I might bide my time. It'll give me some time to save up too. I was gutted when I lost that auction though. It was one of those where you click submit at the last second, but it comes up "The auction has ended". Bastard. I've done that to other people plenty of times though, so it's only fair I guess. Haha.

Oh yeah - The American Audio deck is basically the same as the Stanton ST-150 with the S-shaped arm, minus the super heavy casing. The motor is the same, but I think people are put off by the fairly unknown name. I might take a trip to HTFR so I can have a decent go on one.

What is wrong with the PDX?

I've got the old MK1. They suffer from a small amount of platter rumble so if you hold the record still, you can hear a feedback type sound through the speaker. It's really quiet, and for home use it's not an issue at all, but when I used to use the decks to play out it wasn't so good. Also, as I said above, one of the decks has lost all it's torque. The decks you've got are loads better than the originals, but they're a bit pricey for me. I'd love a pair, but it would cost over £700.

What is wrong with the PDX? It's reliable, enit? I owned a pair of PDX-2000MKII Pros, and they worked great.

I'm beginning to question my PDX.

Mine makes noises at night. :|

Sounds like the innards are expanding or some shit - like wood.

As for the TT500 - the platter feels good. It's solid, I like that. The buttons and such feel flimsy - then again, those decks must have been touched by many...

Mine's ridiculous mate. With it playing you can spin the platter backwards and it takes about 30 seconds before it'll start to play forwards again. I still use it for scratching though. lol. The good one is flightcased away cos I could never be arsed to swap them over.

i only notice mine when i pitch it down to say around -10%. sometimes when i release the sample it is slower than it should be, as if i've moved the pitch to say -15%. give the platter a nudge and it goes back up again. does affect it's mixing ability at all though