THE INTRODUCE YOURSELF THREAD!

Steve

Hey Pete thanks for that mate. like i said to steve im just happy that people still remember Dee and the stuff he did. i had no idea that some of these tapes even existed til recently i presumed they had been lost or thrown away or something so i thought what i should do is come on here and see if there was any interest still. and im glad i did. You said you got to cut with Dee ? Thats amazing im sure youre one of a very select few and youre from Barnsley you say. big up ! Im literally ten minutes down the road from you mate

Guest petesasqwax

Yeah man, me and a friend of mine, Jamie, came over a few times - last exit at Ponds Forge roundabout, up the hill into the estate behind the train station and then up the stairs to the top of the house :)

It always made me laugh that he would sit on a stool whilst he was cutting. And how he had managed to get all his beats looping perfectly on minidiscs (I tried two or three different models of player and mine would never loop like that!) He was an outrageously talented dude. He would play me things he'd done on 4-track which were so far beyond what other people were doing at the time (and still, to be honest) but no matter how many times I asked him to get them out there so people could hear them, he was always reluctant and didn't feel like they were as good as they could be. One of the few things he did put out there (an excerpt from a scratch practice session which he called "Stretched Animal Skin Drum") still stands out as one of the best scratch tracks around even today. Honestly mate, he was THAT far ahead

its weird for me cos i played music together with him from such a young age you know ? we had a ton of gear back then and he was good on almost any instrument he touched and on the guitar he was astonishing when he was in our band his nickname was "mother " cos he was so fussy and picky so i know what youre saying. haha by the way i still have Dees original mini disc player with all the loops and beats on like i said he was always jacking me for drumbreaks

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Hehe - "mother" is some funny shit, man - I can well imagine! Such a perfectionist.

I remember his guitar skills well. He was unreal!

Ah, shit - those minidiscs were full of beats! Each one only a few seconds long and looped perfectly. Ha! Now I know where he got them all from ;) I'm sure I remember him telling me that the "Stretched Animal Skin Drum" one was from somebody like Fiona Apple, but that could have been a different one.

The fiona Apple loop ?.yeah thats one of mine ! its on "animal skin" and its called sleep to dream from her first lp sorry im still an anorak when it comes to drumbreaks lol and its hilarious cos my oldest son is a music producer at university now and hes even worse for jacking my drums than even Dee was

Guest petesasqwax

That's awesome, man!! My eldest kids are 18 and 17 and neither of them owns a physical album! What did I do wrong?? I'm making up for it with my youngest 3, though - got them fully into playing around with turntables, samplers, keyboards and guitars. My youngest is 7 and he always wants to put whatever instrument he's playing with through the guitar amp. Got that one well trained :)

So good that you remembered where the drum is from. I'm exactly the same. I can tell you where a break is from that I used the best part of 20years ago but I'll still forget my aunt's birthday every single year

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Dan! I never knew Dee but I'm a fan for sure and would love to hear any stuff you have and want to share.

I'd be very interested in what you do too. Like quite a few people here I cut a bit, but I like collect records and make beats and other stuff too. Always got time for a "drum breaks anorak"!

haha thanks fellas i kinda stopped making music with samplers a few years ago tbh and just went back to my acoustic guitars i really lost touch with music after Dee left us it was too painfull for me for a long time to handle but im feeling good again about it now im in the process of putting a youtube channel up with hundreds of funk soul and fusion tracks with breaks in abundance

My son alecs is also on the rádio every sunday nite with his dj partner Dank lotion its an internet radio station called 10twenty radio in Bristol and its on from 7 til 9 pm they play a wicked mix of old and new stuff . just click on the play button on the website if you want to listen in

Guest petesasqwax

That YouTube channel sounds like GOLD, mate! Definitely make sure you let us know when you've got that up and running.

Sounds excellent on http://www.10twentyradio.com/ - I'll be sure to check it out. Is your son at uni down in Bristol? I know Dee had a lot of connections from there, particularly Awkward (obviously). What he does these days isn't completely my thing a lot of the time, but I love how much he's putting out there and the top US people he's working with

Yeah hes at uni on a sound engineering degree course he loves it & now hes in his second year of a four year term there. Ahh Awkward eh ? I love him and Stepchild as well but the musics not really my thing either tbh im glad hes still out there though i used to love taking my breaks down to Bristol and tormenting Awkward if he didnt have them lol great times indeed ! Will take a little while to get the channel upand running but ill be happy to let u know when it is

Guest petesasqwax

Ah, that's excellent mate. I wish I'd done Sound Engineering at some point. It would have saved me a lot of time and effort over the years & it's something I could do with a qualification in these days, to be honest.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about Awkward - I love that he's still out there, but his music is all a bit unorganic for me.

Great stuff on the channel - looking forward to that, big time.

What are you planning to do with Dee's music?

Well the thing with Dees Stuff is yes its all there intact so to speak but i dont have any computer files only the actual source Master mixes on mini disc and tape (all Original not copies. ) im going to have to sift through them and transfer them into cds which i will then be able to hand over to whoever wants one theres also a cd i already did 50 MINUTES OF FREESTYLE with his old band from Bristol i dont know if byou heard that when you knew him ? Anyway maybe we could meet up sometime as were not far from each other at all and you could help me get something out for everyone on file who would be interested some of it needs to heard not sat in my cupboard forever. And i know that he would want me to

Guest petesasqwax

Was that 50 MINUTES CD with Vertebrae? I definitely heard some of that stuff.

I'd love to meetup, mate - most definitely! Whereabouts are you? Sheffield? If you need any help at all with digitising that stuff I'd be only too happy to help.

Its not the vertebrae stuff its a full band with djs and mcs and instrumentals allsorts really its very good tbh its what got him the deal with melankolik. Massives label . the deal he rightly chose to walk away from cos he was surrounded by record industry vipers who wanted to take his soul for free. But thats another story lol. No im not in Sheffield i cant stand the noise and the dirt there anymore im in the dearne valley near you bro where the suns always shining hahaha

Guest petesasqwax

haha! Awesome! I'm more towards that side of Barnsley, actually mate. I'm in Monk Bretton so it's just a short trip to Shafton and then down the bypass to the golden lands of Manvers and beyond - where the call centres never stop calling ;)

I remember him telling me about the Melankolic situation. Totally messed up, but not at all surprising. That CD sounds awesome - I'd love to hear it!

Guest Symatic

hello im danswift , youll never have heard of me obviously but i know that there are maybe some of you who may have heard of and possibly even knew my younger brother his name was DeeSwift As you may know Dee passed away in 1210 from a brian injury . well i was looking through some old tapes and discs latley and found a load of recordings that we did together ( my breaks and songs and Dees on cutting and scratching ) so i just was kind of wondering if anyone out there would like to maybe hear them ESP any of his old sparring partners mates etc lol some of it is pretty amazing even now

So if you havent all forgotten him (and by the way he was a lovley man truly one of the best) let me know. and Love to all of you for keeping it real

i just saw this -

yeah would love to hear those recordings man! I was late to the game and never knew Dee unfortunately, but his mythical status is one of the reasons I started searching Digital Vertigo s it was the only place i could find any references to him. his cuts were so sick and I always wanted to hear more. and i always hear him saying "this stuff is really french" since seeing that vid of him :)

biggups!

• Like 2

Thank you symatic im glad that you got to know Dees music

theres some really cool recordings here that need to be heard and not just

stuck away in a cupboard forever

so it falls to myself to finally do this and i think i owe him that at the very least

Welcome to forum, dan! I had joined DV right around when he stopped posting so unfortunately didn't get to know him as well as many other but what a truly phenomenal talent. I'm glad to see you found your way here and would love to hear some of yall's work together and also any new stuff if you are still doing beats.

thank you dj diggla its taken me a while to get on here ! id been thinking of coming on here for a year or so to be honest just to see if anyone from the old days was still around. and would maybe like to hear these recordings and i have honestly been suprised that people still care im so far away from any scene so to speak of im just lost in a sea of old school funk really lol (maybe its my age ) but sometime soon i will be getting together with pete and we will put the very best of it out on files and cds for all you guys to hear

• Like 2

hey there pete if you see this post i was looking through some more old tapes today and came across a Roland sp808sampler (danswift) vs technics 1210((Deeswift ) progressive toadjam/ battle mash up thing ( i cant describe it properly but you know what i mean ). .... man! I cant even remember doing it with him it must have been when i first got my sp808 back in 99 ish or something . what a turn up! . You know the story about Dee learning to cut on his old GFs plastic Portable picinic spinner stereo ?.well ive got some tapes from then of me and him just doing fucked up straight off the cuff mad shit and he sounded fantastic even on that pile of junk after about a month of trying to scratch !

Guest petesasqwax

hey there pete if you see this post i was looking through some more old tapes today and came across a Roland sp808sampler (danswift) vs technics 1210((Deeswift ) progressive toadjam/ battle mash up thing ( i cant describe it properly but you know what i mean ). .... man! I cant even remember doing it with him it must have been when i first got my sp808 back in 99 ish or something . what a turn up! . You know the story about Dee learning to cut on his old GFs plastic Portable picinic spinner stereo ?.well ive got some tapes from then of me and him just doing fucked up straight off the cuff mad shit and he sounded fantastic even on that pile of junk after about a month of trying to scratch !

Man, that's incredible! Can't wait to hear those!! HUGE shout to Alex for the shoutout btw mate - that selection was a thing of beauty. It was almost handpicked to my tastes