Qbert Ortofon Needles?

jsong56

just off the topic....

u know whats hell funny?

each year at the dmcs, tony prince will say some shit like "ortofon make the best needles ever, all the best djs will use them. if u want superb quality dont go past ortofon"

blah blah blah...

funny thing is that ive seen like 2 people competing at the dmcs with ortofons, everyone else uses shures!! lol

You can get both a 'banana' concorde version and a headshell-style OM version.

I haven't used them, but when Rafik was here a couple of weeks ago he was having crazy skipping problems with them and ended up borrowing my Shures. He said they were usually pretty good though.

From what I rememebr ortofons were ok, but had record burn like crazy. Also banana cartridges based on their shape are acutally only made for S -tone arms, based on all the angles of the need etc. etc. people have used them and have been fine, and the catridges, i have heard almost nothing about...

I been thinking about these myself, I always prefer a solid unit cartridge rather that setting them up on a headshell and all that shit...however, in the technical spec the recommended weight is 4grams and that's a fuck of alot of "recommended weight", I mean fair enough most carts have a range of 2-5grams and I normally run my Shure between 3 and 4grams anyway but they're only recommended for being set at 2grams or something. This may not be a real concern but for some reason alarm bells are ringing in my head, I can just imagine stips of my vinyl peeling off behind the needle.

I ve seen these advertised at htfr, they say designed by q-bert...personally i'd like mine designed by a trained experienced engineer. they look like the old ortofon record butcher needles just a beedle printed on em, its a bit like the craze signature stantons, and scratch perverts numarks, it seems that a lot of needle companys are panicking because no one is buying there shit anymore, since the shures came out call me sinical but i think on the whole sticking a dj's name on a needle is a selling ploy, when did you last see q using an ortofon or craze with a stanton ? at least shures dont eat the wax if set up right.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always loved Ortofon needles.

Anyone who knows shit about shit will know that it's not the AMOUNT of force that you apply, it's the AREA over which it is applied that matters. If you need a demonstration, stick a thumb-tack in your leg, you'll soon understand

just an update on this post, i bought them purely cuz i heard they track better and they look alot better than the shures...

my findings are they track another 35% better than the 447s and they sound about the same. also the fact they are a concord shape makes it easy to see the grooves.

they are well worth it!!!

(takes a bit of wearing in like anything. best if u get a swamp locked tone, put a tonne of weight on the headshell and leave it looping for about 30 mins.) does the trick no prob!

not to sure where you get all this cue burn cuz my records seem fine.

im using a brand new super seal aswell.

shit, if shure is gunna test them, dont u think they will be a little biased?

anyways, they might not suit everyone but for me, they track better, they sound just as good as the shures and they arnt eating my records so shit ill use em.

btw, if your one of those people who use a technics with the weight reversed and pulled back a notch, expect q burn with any needle.

if you set these needles up with 3 grams of weight they shouldnt eat your records.

your all wrong :s

I got the QBert ones of DMC the other day, no of course I didnt pay for them, this is what I think...

The ortofons are louder in the mid and top feq.

The ortofons do track well but not as good as shures.

Im still using the shures for everyday motoring.