Common labeled a "racist bitch" by UK rappers

Steve

Common may have received critical acclaim by journalists and magazines for his latest release, Be, but he isn't getting that same love all over the world. It looks like Common's got himself a few adversaries in the UK.

While in London promoting Be a couple of months back, he discussed his disapproval of mixed race relationships in an interview with London magazine, Touch, where he criticized blacks with dreadlocks for dating white women, stating that those men would be "going against what the dreadlock's purpose was."

Three multi-cultural emcees from the UK didn't take lightly to Common's words and have recorded a track in retaliation. Rising Son, Yungun and Doc Brown -- three emcees who are known for the lyrical skills in Europe -- put together "Dear Common (The Corner Dub)," where they respond to Common's extreme views.

Rising Son refers to Common as a "racist bitch" and spits, "I predict the future is mixed/ Marking the end of all this racism sh--."

Britain is known to be more multicultural than America, which Doc details on the chorus. Meanwhile, Yungun says, "Black and white used to drink from different taps/ And you should know 'cause your album had a picture of that/ So when you say that you're showing how a hypocrite acts/ Now I ain't dissing this cat, I'm only spitting the facts."

"I respected Common more as a person before," Rising Son told BallerStatus.net. "I thought he would have been a bit more educated. He's quite a well-traveled person; he's been around the globe with his music, so I expected him to be a bit more clued-up about the world. It's a new day, it's a new era, a new time, and that was so last century -- all that 'stick to your own race' sh--.

"I don't know if he's heard the track, he might have, he might not have. But I'm not really bothered. I made that track so that people know I'm not having that. If he hears it and wants to say something to me about it, he can be my guest, he can handle it anyway he wants," Rising added.

Rising Son was first recognized by US media when he beat out 5,000 hopefuls to work with and appear alongside Nas on the "Thief's Theme" UK remix, and Nas has since expressed further interest in working with the rapper.

"Dear Common (The Corner Dub)" is making noise in not only Europe and the UK, but also in the US. You can hear the track for yourself on HipHopGame's UK edition.

LINK

i dont have a sound card on this computer, so i cant hear the track. but, going off of the information that is posted above.... it dosent appear that common is a racist at all. he wasnt on some "kill the white people" shit. all he said was he didnt approve of inter racial relationships. thats his opinion. i dont see that as hating on white people. but anyway, i've heard it all before. comm caught heat for saying the only people that come to his shows are coffee shop chicks and white dudes. and everybody got upset about that........ but even that wasnt a racist comment. im from chicago. ive been to numerous common shows. and majority of the crowd is white. and he shows them the same love he shows black people.

Common is a fucking turd these days as a rapper. I had the misfortune of being in a shop the other day when one of his tracks about God were playing and he sounded like the fucking stupuid hasbeen weirdos that hang about outside brixton station. He's a fucking cluless tit and his album is shite too. People talk about how his last album was legendary and it's cause they are just comparing it with shit.

Who are you On UKHH Nimrod?

Saying that interracial relationships are wrong I think is one of the highest forms of racism. To refuse the possibility of love between two human beings, at the very least, says that there is something inherently incompatible about them. And btw, the kill all the white people shit seriously has to be taken with a grain of salt. My mother, a white woman from nebraska, used to go to black panther rallies. And Dead Prez for example doesn't actually want to kill all the white people, they want to open people's eyes to a culture of assumed white dominance and encourage people to fight against it.

LOL i havnt even registered dood but i peep that forum all day lol, the very definaition of a lurker! its got a different vibe to here. :)

think i might register and contribute summat, but some of the peeps on there kinda piss me off, people like uni etc

but yeah common, pfff to say people should stick to their own is to say be pro-segregation = racism imo. imagine if a white dood had said that?

LOL i havnt even registered dood but i peep that forum all day lol, the very definaition of a lurker! its got a different vibe to here. :)

think i might register and contribute summat, but some of the peeps on there kinda piss me off, people like uni etc

but yeah common, pfff to say people should stick to their own is to say be pro-segregation = racism imo. imagine if a white dood had said that?

I never hardley post on there anymore. Very rarely. You are right. There are quite a few gimps there.

Common is a fucking turd these days as a rapper. I had the misfortune of being in a shop the other day when one of his tracks about God were playing and he sounded like the fucking stupuid hasbeen weirdos that hang about outside brixton station. He's a fucking cluless tit and his album is shite too. People talk about how his last album was legendary and it's cause they are just comparing it with shit.

whammy...you left kanye's production out, but otherwise on point....

yeah, fuck common, the tit.

but his bullshit (conscious rhymes? yeah right) is nothing new.. he made racist comments towards Chester P after Chester stepped up and killed him in a battle in london, years ago..

I've been into hiphop for fifteen years and it's amazing the number of LP's from major label subsidiaries that get wanked off about and given 5/5 in the magazines on their release and yet turn out to be, at best, very fuckin ordinary

imagine if a white dood had said that?

This is really key. Better yet... Imagine if George W. Said that HAHAHAHAHA!

I like common, but he's strange. He really is. If his music is a true representation of his soul and what he stands for- he seems to be a conflicted individual.

He says some shit like

"I got me a little head but I wasn't really cheatin'" on one of his track which caused me to think "HUH?!" There are other instances where he says that head scratch shit.

He's no Tupac though - Tupac, imo, was a fraud not a Messiah

dont give a shit really.

his new lp is aight. this diss track is pretty weak.

i chatted to common after a very dope show and he seemed safe enough he werent like fuck off whitey or nuttin.

look at Dead Prez, or our own MC D they mad mad worse.

I'll still buy their shit though if its dope. to be honest white on black racism is, and will always be far more prevelant than the other way around in the western world. And i'll go as far to say black on white racism is extremely rare, especially in the uk.

i agree that common aint amazing, he a lot better live than on track, never has been amazing on wax but to be fair he's dropped classic 12"s, never a really dope lp though...

i dont know why hiphop fans in general take such statements to heart all the time. jeez it aint like he dissin you direct.

if somone dropping dope gems on 12" i'll pick it up haha it aint like i need to like or know the actual rapper personally and agree with every single one of his moral values.

Most rappers are probably fuckin egotiscal idiots in real life but it dont mean i'll go "oh hes not a nice guy, ewww i wont buy his stuff" hahahahah jeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz

what about when WU did all that 5%percenter kill whitey shit, how many of yall got 36 chambers? haha fuck off yo!

every DJ i know got Dead Prez - Hiphop, Mos Def is just as bad if not worse than Comm but he still drops some ill shit.

damn...

this is just one of those things a lot of people think but you just shouldnt say especially if you are in the media. i agree with tbear that it is just an opinion, but he should have kept it to himself knowing it would cause a stir. nothing really offends me though as I approach life assuming everyone on the planet is an idiot in one way or another. what burns my ass most about racism is exactly what has been said before in this topic. people exaggerate way too much and are too quick to use race as a tool to judge. its the easy way out.