Sigma - 4D Mixtape

Guest Deeswift

I have never used one personally, but an old mate of mine who used to work in various studios has told me about this old beast. I have heard recordings where an 1176 was used, but never used one myself. I'm not sure how we got onto the subject of the 1176, I think it was when I mentioned that I used an old tube compressor on my guitar tracks for a demo I did in 1988. We used a studio called the Slaughterhouse (in Driffield, Yorkshire). They hired two of these valve-driven compressors for a couple of days, and I got to put my guitar through them. I was STUNNED with the sound! Warmth like I've never heard from any compressor before or since. These things were worth about £30,000 each, though. Awesome price, but awesome sounding units. I cannot remember for the life of me what brand and model they were though.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ouch! 30 gib compressor! anything vintage/ discontinued just gets silly doesnt it, its like buying a house - just what someone is prepared to pay for it...

all the UA vintage gear is insanely good tho, plus they're remaking it part for part...

manley are tube freaks too, i use the massive passive eq, the sculpting on there is off the clock but again the sound, its gonna be one of those discontinued things thats searched for..

in the chain i use 610, massive passive, 1176, with blue condenser when mic-ing...i've pretty much reached my dream chain, which is exeedingly geeky, but makes me ever so happy :8

• 4 years later...

5 year bump!

Shit, this shows how much I care about DJing now, cos apart from 2 or 3 short mixes that are less than half an hour, I've done nothing since this.

This was a great mix mate, I always loved your multitrack cuts. Get a sequel made!