Help with my technique

kounter_sync

I've been behind the wheels of steel since christmas and i'm really into scratching, transforms especially. I need a new mixer because before this video i cleaned out the crossfader and it was working as normal.... after this video i pernamently damaged the crossfader and it doesn't fade on one side... and this mixer is just not ideal so i was thinking of getting the Vestax PMC 06... Someone on these forums advised me to stay away from that and get a Stanton SA5 instead. Which i prefer anyway.

Point is i want some expert advice on anything that goes wrong or how i could have made that video a bit better and just general advice. I also find it hard coming up with proper sets and juggling and i just stick to scratching.

This is the video

Background music is coming from a my pc... just incase ur wondering

Guest Deeswift

Shit, you need to calm down a bit, Kounter Sync. First of all, your scratching has no form at all. You need to do what's been suggested and learn basic scratches. Chirps, transforms, stabs, etc. If scratching can be thought of as a language, then you shout at people in short bursts, clap a bit, then shout at someone else, and not even in a language that they understand. Hold on. What are you trying to achieve? Seems to me that speed is top of your agenda. Forget it though, go back and learn basics, take your time, get them clean, then start working on combining them.

Also, keep your hand on the record more. Once the record is out of your hand, it's out of control. It's not all abut releasing the aaah cut or fresh or whatever, and these sounds have more to them than just the tip of the sample. Explore the different parts of the sample.

I'll also mention that your hands are making a lot of excess movements. Minimise and economise your hand movements. Maybe try turning the motor off too, this will force you to use your record hand more.

btw: are those custom slipmats?

yeah they are (www.slikmats.com)

Cheers guys for the advice and yeah i haven't had much use of the fader as its been broke for a while but it got fixed and i tryed to make a really fast video. I've been watching some tutorial videos on www.the-dj-equipment-guide.com but they aren't much use for learning new scratches, i can use the fader reasonably well just that was too quick and i haven't took my hand off the record as much so i'll make a new video soon and post it here so u can see if i'm still doing somethng wrong or if i just need to practice more.

Cheers :d

Guest Deeswift

Yeah, definately. This way you can get different pitches from the sample, add drags, tears, and do less straight forward releases. Mold and shape the cuts like putty.

Yeah too quick etc what everyone else said...

Also one other thing, never cut over a vocal track unless your q'ing another tune or somthing, cutting over vocals just sounds messy.......but you have the dedication, which counts for a lot..

get a rane...

1. practice

2. practice

3. practice

I would get a rane but that seems pretty impossible since they cost £500 at least and i only get £10 a week :p

Anyone know a website to learn the scratches... tears, flares etc...

Oh and i'll get that video done another time... fader had packed in completly... onthe second channel it only fades in one speaker and the other speaker is channel 2 full volume no matter where the fader is :|

I don't think you'll go far wrong by reading The Ever on Asis. Pick out some of the more basic techniques like tears, drags and chirps to start with and go from there. If you get stuck on anything just ask here.

You just need to understand scratching more. Dedicate a week away from scratching and just learn about it.

There are different techniques rules, and patterens that apply. Just like a guitar has to be tuned played in key and you have to learn chords and scales. With turntables you have to learn techniques.

Go back and learn about who and how scratching was created. Learn where it came from and where it has come. By understanding all this youll understand what it is to have good scratch technique. You have to know what it is before you can strive for it.

Sit back and take it all in. When you look back what your doing youll understand.

Like very basic rule number 1...

DONT SCRATCH ON TOP OF A BEAT WITH WORDS, USE INSTRUMRNTALS. I hate when people do that at shows. Ewwww!

Its about applying 10 different techniques and patterns to get that one real fast phrase. You must learn the "language" as Dee explained. Build up a vocab and speak...

Guest Deeswift

^^^ Good advice. Go back and look at the pioneers who laid the foundations for what we do nowadays. It's still just as enjoyable for me to listen to my old Cash Money tapes as it is listening to today's scratch wizards. A good, solid but simple style is better than a flashy or even messy style with no thought for structure and rock solid basics. The first aim should be to try and get these basics ultra clean sounding. Work on record hand rhythm, don't be too click happy. Try to get some rhythm happening, get some swing and funk into your transforms, use spaces and pauses. The scratches I think you should be concentrating on are Baby's, Chirps, Tears, Transformers, Stabs, Drags.

as a newbie as well (ok a 3yr newbie) i'd say listen to the music you wanna sratch over..it has 4 beats to a bar..start on the 1st beat and finish on the last...get used to scratching on each beat before trying anything complicated...try just moving your vinyl 4ward and backward one beat at a time to get used to it...then try doubling it...then try simple cuts over it....simple stuff done right sounds much much better than complicated stuff done badly...learn simlpe skills 1st (especially faderless stuff) and anything after that should come easier to you...try and get qberts DIY1 (not2) to help learn to scratch