Your computer...

Monkey-Hands

Guest Deeswift

I have one PC which does everything. (Actually I have two -- one which I'm using right now and one which is 99% built and just waiting for memory to be delivered and installed. Spec for the new system is in my profile.

I'm using a 512 kbps ADSL connection via a USB modem for net access, btw.

Ideally I'd have several PC's for different uses, but money won't allow this, so for me, one good system does everything.

1 PC - getting a bit long in the tooth by today's standards, but it does everything I need, and then some. I can multitrack record on it OKish - my crappy onboard sound card has wicked latency, and a terrible s/n ratio.

Connection-wise I run 1mbit ADSL from Pipex.

i have 2 pc's. an old amd900, that my good lady uses for her college stuff. then upstairs in the attic i got the beast. a p4 2.8 thats hooked up to all my equipment.

both are connected to NTL broadband via a router. if you are in the market for a router, ebay has an abundance of the smeggers, for about 20-25 quid a pop

I got 1 PC with which I do all my stuff. Mostly Music.

I thought about accessing the net with it, but I don´t know....

Viruses ´n shit.

And I dont have the money to buy me a new one.

Maybe I should get me a second hard disk to save my stuff on.

Any help?

A 2nd hard disc is a good idea. Just get some virus protection and be sensible. Most viruses hit XP systems that are not kept up to date (MSBlast, Welchia etc) or are spread by ridiculous email attachments that only a pillock would open. I've had one virus in about 8 years of computing and that was when I first owned a PC and didn't know what I was doing. Anyway here's what I would do............

1. Get all the Windows Updates.

2. Install a good firewall and antivirus software.

3. Use a different browser to IE or take care of all the IE holes.

4. Be careful what you download and scan stuff before you open it.

And that's about it mate.

my pc here at work (where i work as a programmer, writing / maintaining our company software) is a tired old P3 700, with 256meg of memory and noisy psu (if i tap it, it goes quiet). i haven't even got a cd drive. there is no money in the "budget" to replace our worn kit.

i have 3 PC's at the moment, but only one gets used to be honest. the one i have net access on (512 kbps USB thang) is a 3GHz AMD athlon, really nice, just trying to keep it free f shit that my little bro inadvertently downloads. upstairs i have a 1GHz thing that is mainly used for word processing nowadays, tohugh it does have fruity loops on it too, but it barely ever gets used, as it's full of various shit that makes it slow, and there's too much to clean up. also, i have a proper old school original pentium 90Mhz (yes, just 90) with 16megs of RAM!! haha, it's proper bo i tell thee...

My setup isnt bad, its all custom shit, and I pretty much use it for personal as well as recording/multitracking/layin down them beats!:

WindowsXP

Intel P4 1.6Ghz

2 HDs 60GB & 80GB

640 MB Ram

DVDRW Drive (8Xdvdr, 40Xcdr)

"It gets me from A to B"

I think i was told when i got my mother board that it can take a processor up to 2.2, so i think when the time comes I may upgrade to that and get 2 more sticks of ram to maybe add of to 1 gig of ram.

Wheres a good online shop that sells parts...i remember 1, but i forgot..

at the mo' runnin on parents dell pentium 4 2.56...

haven had my own for a bout a year now since i dont know how to change a motherbaord... so i decided to save the $$ and buy a new one that had a faster processor pre-installed... but the computer isnt at the top of my list at the moment :blink:

Guest Deeswift
3GHz AMD athlon

Athlon XP?

ok, i just ran crap cleaner and it showed my system spec, turns out my computer is an athlon XP 3000+....

Very nice CPU. It doesn't run at 3Ghz though. No AMD CPU runs at 3 Ghz, not even an A64. AMD CPU's do more work per clock cycle than Intel, that's why they don't need to run at such high clock speeds. Usually a 2 Ghz AMD is equivalent to a 3 Ghz Intel, or there abouts. My A64 3200+ (for example) runs at 2 Ghz, but is competitive with a 3.2 / 3.4 Pentium 4 (and P4 can't run 64 bit software). Once Windows XP 64 bit version drops early next year, us A64 users will see a performance boost anywhere between 20% - 50%. That's a serious increase.

The fastest desktop CPU available is the Athlon 64 FX-53. It runs at 2.4 Ghz, I believe.

I live with 2 of my mates so we've all got our own PC's in uor bedrooms running off a server on a 3g Broadband connection which does the job nicely. Having the server in the front room is dope 'coz it can be left on all the time without really disturbing anyone. Oh, and the Marine Aquarium screensaver makes it look like a little fishtank which.........is pretty gay actually! :red_smile:

lol!