To DV or not to DV, that is the question.....

Steve

Our hosting expires in August of this year. The question is - do we renew it?

It currently costs about 12 bucks a month, which is no problem as long as people are willing to chuck in some cash to help pay for it, but obviously the number of active users of this site has been dwindling for a long time.

What are your thoughts?

I would be sad to see DV go after all these years, plus even though we don't have a ton of active users, it's still cool that we can keep in touch via this place. At the same time, if people don't really care, it makes no sense to keep it going.

Keep DV alive I say! I don't use social media at all. I still am a forum-rat.

I would like it, if some peeps would pass more from time to time (where is Dan Swift?). And a dream would be of course, that the forum is again like it used to be from 2004-2009ish, but that's unrealistic (Social Media took a lot of our users since they can promote their stuff better/directly over there).

I will try to contribute a little bit more (was super-busy with them 2 kids of mine and wifey is quite active career-wise, which leaves more taking-care-of-the-kids-time to me as well)...

Thanks for keeping it alive and all the effort you put into it Steve.

• Like 3

I'd say, keep it alive please, 'social media's' content is more about today's hype(and forgotten tomorrow).

On fora you can find something back in excisiting topics, simply because there is order, although sites like photobucket kind of destroyed fora when it coes to photos

Personally i like diggin into fora, also i enjoyed skratchworx a lot, the closure of it kind of brought me here

Thanks for keeping this up all those years Steve!!

• Like 1

Agree with everyone. I have facebook and instagram but it's just an echo-chamber. DV is still my favorite site on the interwebs. I'm always down to put in for hosting.

I called afternic for a gas just to see what they were reselling the DV .com for... I remember Steve looking into it back in the day and it being expensive. And it is... $2300. Boo. I feel like the site would do better if it was a .com but that's stupid expensive for how few members there are. That said, if we ever wanted to start a fund I'd put in a few hundo for it.

Ever thought of doing some ads to help cover costs Steve? I like it without but you know... money.

Nice one fellas.

I'll ask for donations nearer the time, but thanks for the offers.

As for ads, I'd really rather not go down that route. Obviously nobody likes them, lots of people use ad-blockers, and AFAIK, your earnings are based on number of clicks, so I don't think it would be worth it anyway.

Yeah, this is the only forum I use too, and I really don't participate in social media much (it's too shallow on many counts). So, definitely down to contribute some loot towards keeping DV alive. Would be pretty sad if this thing went south.

I love everybody on here — I've virtually known many of you for nearly 20 frickin' years. That's crazy!!! I would be kinda lost without this place...it's one of the first things I check when I get online errryday.

• Like 3

Shit, Dan, sorry to hear you're having to deal with that situation. That's fucking rough. If you ever need someone's ear to bend, my inbox is always open.

If you delete your posts from this thread, I'll delete all of the ones that make reference to them. Take care of yourself man.

• Like 3

best of luck dan man, that can't be easy.

I don't mind chipping in too on the site.

But Steve, does it actually take up much of your time having to admin/mod/do shit relating to it?

do the other mods have to do much work? or does shit tick along without much bother?

But Steve, does it actually take up much of your time having to admin/mod/do shit relating to it?

do the other mods have to do much work? or does shit tick along without much bother?

It just ticks along by itself for the most part man.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...