'Advanced' autobahn combos

d00ban

Nice job, d00b! You're a good presenter.

Thanks man! Taken me a long time to get all the shit and knowledge I needed to do that vid

Yeah man, some nice cross rhythm action going down!

I think the bit at 2:20 where you say, "I don't know what that's called" is a chirp crescent flare but I could be wrong. It's that kind of thing. Maybe it's not a chirp at the start... hmmm...

Dope vid though :)

Hmm, yeah it doesn't seem like a chirp to me, more of a slice. Although I think I've heard the beat junkie call a slice a reverse chirp... So may be that's why. Man, it gets annoyingly complicated sometimes.

Great tutorial and scratching - Please keep them coming!

However, as you asked for feed back: What you do is not 'double time' - that would mean doubling the speed but you go from a rhythm in straight 16th notes to a sextuplet rhythm, so the speed is increased by 1.5 and not 2. Double time would be 32nd notes.

I tried to use this online note editor - the start of each 9 note pattern is marked with a >. The first line is the 'single time' variation.

zsgqy6pu.png

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

Although I think I've heard the beat junkie call a slice a reverse chirp...

yeah its mad confusing... i have been trying to get my head round what the best terminology for that is - i mean whats the difference between "reverse" and "mirrored".... to me i think of things as mirrored if the record hand is doing the opposite thing it normally would. reverse would be just doing the same thing backwards.

So to me a reverse chirp would be starting with the record laready in the sound, with the fader closed, and moving the record backwards until you pass the start point of the sound, and end up in the silence before it, and the fader ends up open.

Mirror chirp would mean you start at the end of the sound, fader open, and move backwards into the sound, while you close the fader.

Every movement can be reversed, the fader and the record.... or maybe only the fader, while the record stays the same. or the record movement stays the same and the fader inverts.....

So for me a slice is a chirp with an inverted fader movement.... but that doesnt fall under reverse or mirrored in my own terms.... fek

I dunno what the terminlogy for everything would be though

I might be totally wrong too.

oh and great vid by the way doob!

Great tutorial and scratching - Please keep them coming!

However, as you asked for feed back: What you do is not 'double time' - that would mean doubling the speed but you go from a rhythm in straight 16th notes to a sextuplet rhythm, so the speed is increased by 1.5 and not 2. Double time would be 32nd notes.

I tried to use this online note editor - the start of each 9 note pattern is marked with a >. The first line is the 'single time' variation.

zsgqy6pu.png

Ah cool thanks man. Guess the autobahn is a weird one and I've never actually counted the notes as I'm doing it or even watching it back

yeah its mad confusing... i have been trying to get my head round what the best terminology for that is - i mean whats the difference between "reverse" and "mirrored".... to me i think of things as mirrored if the record hand is doing the opposite thing it normally would. reverse would be just doing the same thing backwards.

hmm I totally forgot about mirrored, can't even remember what my own definition for that is any more.

What's the 8-sound autobahn thingy called?

I think you're probably referring to the 'slow autobahn'. I decided to not put that in, as I think it's more like a boomerang than an autobahn myself.

dope vid, thanks for the info!

also what do you use to mount the camera overhead that way if you dont mind me asking

Thanks, man!

It's one of these bad boys:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/R%C3%98DE-Swivel-Mount-Studio-Microphone/dp/B001D7UYBO

It's not perfect as it's sort of sits where it wants to sit more than I'd like. What I ended up doing is clamping it to my shelf on the wall and then positioning my deck in the right position underneath it.

Love the top down angle, makes the vid look much better as you can see both the fader and turntable easily.

• Like 1

Guest broke

Have a go at this one too, it slots in nicely with that same auto/boomerang/delayed flow

@Sy - I use both 'mirrored' and 'reverse' pretty much synonymously (which is wrong), but if I remember correctly, the way they used to use those terms back on Q-Bert's old board was:

mirrored = flip the TTM on the x axis

reverse = flip the TTM on the y axis

Or was it the other way around?

x2k made a topic about mirroring on DV ages ago:
http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=22074

d00bs you're all up in that topic, looks like things have come full circle

It's pretty funny reading that old thread.

Love how they reference Erik's video too as "this guy" ha. I miss Erik and his tutorial, he needs to come back soon. Alas he may be another scratch casualty.

Does anyone really do mirrored chirps? I've never bothered with em.

Guest broke

Does anyone really do mirrored chirps? I've never bothered with em.

I do them as part of combos.

A mirrored chirp is just a slice... on paper at least.

Guest broke

I thought a slice was the same as a dice (i.e. a transformed baby scratch).

Now I'm completely confused!

MS Paint to the rescue!

TQoM2qN.png

(Obviously a 'dicing' doesn't mean doing that exact number of babies/fwds/transforms etc, it's just the concept.)

• Like 2

I thought a slice was the same as a dice (i.e. a transformed baby scratch).

Now I'm completely confused!

MS Paint to the rescue!

TQoM2qN.png

(Obviously a 'dicing' doesn't mean doing that exact number of babies/fwds/transforms etc, it's just the concept.)

Makes sense. This reminds me of when I first saw the TTM for the boomerang (thanks Blam) and I was like "why the fuck do you need to click when the beginning of the sample already clicks for you?" I eventually figured it out.

A dice is any teared transformer according to Qbert DIY series. The ones that I find a bitch to do are backwards chirps, ie. start open in or after the sound and move record hand back, close fader then forward and open simultaneously. I can do ‘em in combos but can’t get funky with them like one can with original chirp, probably why peeps scratch against the grain sometimes.

Cool vid though Doob, nothing wrong with your face either, you’re a handsome chap !