Symmetry & Mirroring

x2k

This was supposed to be a post to help beginners move or from the foundation scratches but it has got a bit abstract. Hopefully some of you may find this useful:

Once you have learned a load of the basic techniques you start to put together combos. Combos are a sequence of different techniques combined together, at some point in time you will come across or discover a combo which will be made up of to halves, the first half is a patterm and the second half is the pattern reversed.

At this point in time you might suddenly realise that you can do the first half no problem because it's made up of all the scratch techniques you already know but the second half feels alien because you've never pacticed some of you techniques in reverse. Of course you might have practiced them in reverse but I hadn't when I came to this point so I got stuck.

So the first lesson here is to learn and practice your techniques in reverse as well as how they are normally explained. Many techniques such as transforms, flares, babies and even tears aren't a problem because they are either symetrical or the explanations and tutorials out there already teach them in both directions. However very useful & fundamental scratches such as stabs and chirps are never mentioned (although Skratchlopedia Breaktanica now includes a reverse chirp but it has a new name which I forget). So first thing first practice them.

Next it's time to learn some of your combos in reverse, the first one for me was the chirp flare, I was so comfortable with it and it is simple enough to start with. One trick here is to try and find a record with a sample you are used to scratching with on it in reverse, this makes it easier to know if you are doing it right because you know how it should sound. For those of you with serato or similar you can create a reverse copy of a scratch sound very easily in most audio editor.

Once your arms ache and you have got that hang of your combo in reverse you can make a see if you can take the forward version and join it with the reverse version to create a symetrical/mirrored pattern.

When I think of mirroring pattern I see there being 2 different types of mirroring. Horizonal mirroring where the second half of the pattern is the same as the first but done in reverse, and vertical mirroring where the second half is the reverse sequence of the first half (i.e. pattern done backwards to get you back to where you started). Vertical mirroring to me is a bit like doing something then undoing it again.

Here are a couple of images which might explain what I mean by vertical and horizonal mirroring...

post-28-1207245218_thumb.jpg

Before you learn the fundamental scratches in reverse I'd image that most of your symetrical combos will only be symetrical vertically but learning to do horizonally symetrical patterns opens up a whole new world of techniques. Well it did for me anyway.

A couple of examples of vertically mirrored patterns are Chirp Flares and Prisms. A couple of examples of horizonally ones are Symetrical Chirp Flares (chirp flare orbits?) and Autobahns.

I hope that this post has been useful. If it's got to deep and I've lost you just ignore it because it's the being able to do it that is important, not abstract mental patterns to explain what you are doing.

Finally I'm going to leave you a little video of some of the techniques I mentioned.

haha, it was meant to be a simple post which basically says practice all the basics backwards as well as forwards but it evolved into a massive abstract brain dump...sorry :(

just looking at ur auto bahns - am i right i nthinking theyre boomerangs ( or delayed 2 clicks whatever u want to call em) except with an extra transform stuck in there?

not quite, there isn't an extra click, the second click is early (flare instead of a chirp if you like) and the overall rhythm is change so there are 4 parts instead of 3 (or 8 in a complete pattern).

If you understand these diagrams then it looks like this...

post-28-1207412462.jpg

That's how I think they are done anyway ;)

well i got it..but yrs of wanking has taking its toll and i'll never be able to get my hands to do that...great youtube link...may have to practice what i know reversed some time

just looking at ur auto bahns - am i right i nthinking theyre boomerangs ( or delayed 2 clicks whatever u want to call em) except with an extra transform stuck in there?

not quite, there isn't an extra click, the second click is early (flare instead of a chirp if you like) and the overall rhythm is change so there are 4 parts instead of 3 (or 8 in a complete pattern).

post-28-1207412462.jpg

You're nearly there x2k. There should be 1 extra click at the very start / end of the pattern. In other words, the pattern starts with the fader closed, and ends with the fader closed. That's the slower one from the DVD.

The faster version he does is this:

:)

I've just noticed the diagram I posted was wrong, I've fixed it with the correct one now

Ritchie, I know when Rafik starts the scratch the fader is closed but when he does then repeatedly it there still a click at start of each repetition?

I've just noticed the diagram I posted was wrong, I've fixed it with the correct one now

Ritchie, I know when Rafik starts the scratch the fader is closed but when he does then repeatedly it there still a click at start of each repetition?

Yes, that click is there when the move's repeated. You had the clicks right the first time by the way. You were just missing that click at the beginning / end. :)

post-28-1207412462.jpg

... i see, kinda

will mebbe have a go, dunno if im getting ahead of myself. can do boomerangs but think ive probably got more important shit to be practising

TTM i can get my head round but it litterally took me like 3 days to get the hang of just the movement of boomerangs!

cheers for the geekness :)

I find this stuff HARD! I cant do any of it yet. Thanks for posting this thread though I will start tonight! whats the easiest mirror pattern to start with?

The first thing I taught myself was a reverse chirp, then a reverse chip flare...that opened up a whole load of new possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that click is there when the move's repeated. You had the clicks right the first time by the way. You were just missing that click at the beginning / end. :)

From what you told us in skrathlounge the second to last click in that ttm is one turn to early...

http://www.johnny1move.co.uk/autobahn.jpg

That's right isn't it?

From what you told us in skrathlounge the second to last click in that ttm is one turn to early...

That's right isn't it?

Yes that appears to be correct...sadly I got it wrong and as a result it has no relevence to my original post and there I should sort it out but I'm being lazy :(

That's right isn't it?

Yes that appears to be correct...sadly I got it wrong and as a result it has no relevence to my original post and there I should sort it out but I'm being lazy :(

It's still mirrored (vertically not horizontally)

This whole autobahn thing was responsible for a massive thread on Skratchlounge so maybe we should stop now :((

Thats really cool, not sure I could pull it off, but its cool to see the art taken to such levels, especially being coupled with an almost scientific method, like scratch algorithms.

• 4 months later...

That post always was a bit abstract....to be honest I've explained the more practical side of this post far better on my blog, dooban take a read of that if you are bored, it's at:

http://www.x2k.co.uk/2008/05/01/reversing-...ting-scratches/

might make more sense.

Glad someone found it useful though ;)

Autobahn's are the shit, not the scratch itself but all the possibilities the pattern opens up, again I've explained some of my findings on the blog but I'd getting more insteresting shit coming from them daily.

haha cheers man, but i read this stuff ages ago - im well up to date on your blog man its the mak

need to get going on the old rotating tho your right it does basically make a new scratch - i keep just going back to the usual timing whilst practicing this if ya get me.

nice one man i feel like geeking it up now - might go have a sesh

• 4 months later...