i think the best description to do it is

Forward (close n open)

Backward (close n open)

Forward

Backward (close n open)

Forward (close n open)

Backward

this is

the sound division is exactly like the 2 click, but this sounds more soft...more circular..

Bye  n tnx to chile

It took me a while to catch this one. Thats not how i do it. Not that it matters :p

Guest Deeswift

Shouldn't be too long then, I just scattered 2000 seeds in there which should be popping up anytime soon. Better get practicing your body tricks Ryan.

ryan, your cutting is EXCELLENT... when are you entering the dmcs?!

When weed grows in my backyard

Shouldn't be too long then, I just scattered 2000 seeds in there which should be popping up anytime soon. Better get practicing your body tricks Ryan.

Fuck!

Now wheres my sweatbands?

lmao, i guess your not into battling then.. well your cuts are dope anyway :d

Wow nice file Ryan! I got 42-45 secs on loop to figure it out :d

I thought I had delayed 2-clicks figured out, but it seems different to everyone elses description, even though it sounds like Ricci's file on The Ever.

The way I do em is...do two-click orbits so that the forward/backward stroke lasts 3 beats, then delay the clicks so that the first click of the pair lands where the record changes direction from back->fore and fore->back...thats it!

Anyways yeah dope file, I'm keeping this one :d

Glad you enjoyed it turnips.

The thing about delayed flares i noticed is, everyone keeps going on about ><><><><>fb up your arse all that nonsense

It's all in the clicks. Dont worry about the record movement. I could get someone to fling the record around any old way and i can click the fader in a delayed style. It's the rhythm of your clicks. trust me. I move the the ahh back and forth just like i was doing normal flares (although i add tears now and then)

I thought I had delayed 2-clicks figured out, but it seems different to everyone elses

That's a good thing. keep on.

Specifically for the pattern you're doing on this file - Are you still doing 2 clicks forward and 2 back, but the timing is different? Do you click near the end of the sound instead of in the middle in both directions, or have I got the wrong end of the stick? I've messed around trying out different shit, but I can never get them to sound like this or other examples I've heard - they just sound shit.

Guest Deeswift
That's a good thing. keep on.

Agreed.

Maybe that's the way it should be. It's not cool if everyone is doing the same patterns, although it would be good to have a definitive description of the glorius, mystical delayed flare, people will keep coming up with their own things while trying to suss it out, which can only be a good thing.

Some years ago, I came up with what I call a swing flare. I have no idea what it is, but I care not, I didn't hear anyone else do it. I also have some strange flares in the StretchedAnimalSkinDrum file which I have no idea what they would be called if they were analyzed, but I know it's mine and that's all I care about. I do the pattern loads in that file. Some people might know the one I mean. There's an example at 2:42. Anyone care to explain this one?

I can never get them to sound like this or other examples I've heard

Thats because nicks is laying to people haha.

I'd love to give a perfect break down of how i do this but i cant. Trust me ive had it typed out many times then just scrapped it. I never seem to make sense when i talk about scratching. Fuck sake i hardly make sense on any subject hehe.

Just keep practicin. Things just come to you out of nowhere.

people will keep coming up with their own things while trying to suss it out

Exactly!

I have a new version of it i have been workin on for a wee while now. It's a right cunt. At times i feel like just sackin the whole idea. But theres days it'll sound too good. Keep an eye out for it....Some day :(

I dunno. You can't come up with your own shit if you have no clue what you're doing. I need to learn something first and then when I've got it down, I try variations and mess around with it. To me, not being able to do a scratch is a weakness - if you hear someone's scratch and can't copy it, that's one less cut you can do. If I could do all your cuts Ryan I doubt I'd sound anything like you if I posted a file.

SASD is here, by the way:

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=15BCYUS...151E8ZCAGTP5EK4

I want people to analyze the cuts I mentioned at 2:42 and tell me wtf it is.

I first heard that when I'd just started cutting and it didn't do much for me, but now when I listen to it, damn! Its like an encyclopeadia of mentallist patterns...thats an incredible file.

That pattern at 2:42 sounds a bit like what I was talking about. Theres a variation I do where I click four times each way, but the clicks come in pairs rather than 1/2/3/4 style, with the first click on direction change, it sounds just like that, except sloppy as hell hehe. Sounds like you are chirping then clicking like you're about to chirpflare but then carrying on with 2-clicks instead...am I close :$

Guest Deeswift

I really don't know, cause I have no clue what I'm doing half the time! It's rare for me to analyze anything I do and think "that's a 4-click flare to nollie 180 sidewinder tailspin" or whatever. As far as I know, it's like a regular one click flare on the fader hand but with a delayed record movement that's twice as long as a regular flare. Or something. Fuck knows.

EDIT: Come to think of it, you might be close. There is a chirp to start off that pattern on the file, but I carry on with 1-click flares for the fader movements. It's just I'm doing some odd stuff with my record hand.