BPM'ing records

djxander

I'm just curious how you guys feel about BPMing records. One of the best DJ's in Indianapolis (DJ Topspeed, dude going to the DMC's this year, he's been @ nationals in years past, he's been in the game for 20 years) swears by it. He BPMs everything he plays out (he has like 30k records haha), but comming from a hardhouse/DnB background, BPMing records is a big taboo.

Also, I know this other dude from france who's been cutting for 9 years, he chills with C2C and company, and he says BPMing records is an embaressment.

Curious how you all feel about this. Discuss...

Most EDM DJ's can get away with not doing it because most of their music will lie with in a similar tempo range (e.g DnB 170 - 180Bpm)

But with HipHop the tempo can go from 70-120Bpm

I think it depends on what your more concerened about, JUST track selection or mixing. Bpm'ing is a good idea to get a general feel of what tempo the track is but i would never rely on it fully

It's just one of those skills where the more you mix the more easy you'll find it over time to just naturally know whether something will mix or not

When I put together a set, I'll practice it at home and sticker up the records with the approximate pitch markings. I don't see it as cheating. It just saves time, especially if you have to match the beats up quickly. If I could be bothered, I would definitely sticker up all my vinyl with the BPMs too.

nothing wrong with bpming your stuff. i put my records in plastic poly sleeves to protect the covers and put a white mailing label with the name of the record & bpms near the top right corner, simply because i have a TON of vinyl and dont feel like pulling each one up to see the labels name etc.

its all in how you mix though.. if you label your records, still gotta know how to mix.. heh...

but the main thing here is to do whats comfortable for you, fug what everyone else thinks.

if you need a good BPM counter that inserts the bpms into the actual files bpm tag, check out:

http://www.mixmeister.com/download_freestuff.html

it did one of my mp3 folders (about 23 gig) in just a few minutes.. i think like less than 5 mins.

question: how are you gonna know if a dj is relying on the sole purpose of bpming his records?

of course the most obvious would be his incredible shitty mixing skills, but to that effect even if you labeled your shit and sounded bad, then you need help no matter what!

i guess this could stem out even further to: do you have less respect for a dj that uses serato? or may the cd turntable and can rip shit up just as good as a vinyl dj?

respect for me to another comes from the person themselves.. you could be a GREAT dj and still be a big asshole. then there are those that may not be the best, but their attitudes are wonderful and allow others to be friends..

im ranting so................

Sometimes people get over concerned with the methods used to create something. It happens in all art. It should be considered. The most important thing is the outcome. If the mix is the best most beatiful and clever mix you've ever heard, why should you care if the DJ did something as trite putting a sticker with a number on it to keep organized.

I hate against DJs who put records in alphabetical order! JK

I BPM every record I get, although I don't mark it on the record itself. I have several Excel files just with BPMs on there, it helps when you're creating a set. Z-Trip puts BPM labels on his records, its pretty tedious work though, considering how each track within a record varies in BPMs anyhow.

i dont even think about it, with dnb its obvious

then if im doin a funk/hiphop/ whatever mix i dont tend do mix them in the same speed anyway, i certainly dont do it accurately,

this is the same as i do everything...if it soundes good i'll do it