G.O.A.T (Breaks & Beats)

danswift

Sy that track is from an lp called '2' by Brahman you can pick the album up pretty cheaply still

the last time I looked it was going for just over £10 or so

That piano shizzle is dope as you rightly said btw

@Rock Well

The Electric Mud lp is wicked mate

theres a massive break at the very first track a proper rolling version of I Just Wanna Make Love To You (that was actually the break i wanted to start this thread with originally but its not on You Tube anymore unfortunately )also Tom Cat is on the album which is the sample Cypress Hill used on Ultraviolet Dreams from the first lp

Chuck D is a huge fan of Electric Mud and said it was a major influence on Public Enemy

high praise indeed in my opinion

Guest Symatic

no secret t othe Meters having breaks for dayyyyyyyyys..... but i was making some tunes over the weekend and this 7" was providing the head nod factor.....

oops i posted the whole album but it was look-ka-py-py i was messing with

• Like 1

Damn good choice Sy

Ha-i wonder how many people have sampled and chopped up the drums from that Meters album ?

I know that i have on lots of occasions -there's such wicked breaks and hits all over that lp and all of The Meters other records

These next two breaks are more modern but still retain that element of grime and grit we all like so much

https://youtu.be/GvemEJGo8Dc

Break at 02.37

https://youtu.be/9-t2wWlCPGU

Break at 00.05 & 03.02

"We can rebuild him"

"We have the technology"

lol

My lil bro had a Six Million Dollar Man action figure when we were kids in the 1970s-you could look through a hole in the back of its head and see through its bionic eye ,it also had patches of skin you could peel back to discover the plastic bionic parts hidden underneath them

My Mums fat mate Tina sat down on the sofa and snapped its head clean off by accident one day

("We cant actually rebuild him after all then " ) :@@

I dont think our kid ever forgave her tbh until the day he died
hahaha

I would imagine they are quite collectible nowadays..

Oh man i remember that, the eye was a magnifying glass, and the bionics in his arm popped out as a little plastic cube, he was wearing a red tracky if i remember right hahaha, bout the same time as the winder evil kenivels lol

• Like 1

I had two Evel Knievels and they were awesome

I used to build stupid crazy ramps for mine in the front room and watch as it sailed past my Mums head as she made the dinner in the kitchen

Me -"Evel Knievel jumps the boiling hot chip pan....

and he lives "!

Her- "he might have but you bloody well wont though, BED!"

Such happy times...

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

heres a version of superstition from a really shit compilations series that occasionally throws up breaks. i see these records in charity shops all the time, but theres a lot of shit to go through to find em.... the seedy covers are pretty funny too

• Like 1

Ha - Top of the pops lps

I remember buying some of those years ago when I first started digging for beats

As you said Sy theres some truly awful stuff on them but there is the occasional gem that turns up amongst the garbage

I know that Superstition break well

Its funny looking back now after aquiring for the best part of 30 years quite a large knowledge of the breaks but back when I started i would end up with a lot of crap because i didnt know what i was really looking for at the time -I would just look at the covers and think if it looks Funky ill buy it hehe

Guest Symatic

Yeah there used to be a car boot sale every sunday in the multi story carpark by my old house, would come home every week with as much as i coukd carry having dropped about £10 maximum. Got plenty of shite but some real unexpected stuff too. Weirdest one was a thai pressing of a 5th dimension record which has a dope preemo-sampled break on it

• Like 1

Haha, yeah it's good to know someone with crazy breakbeat knowledge to tip you off about the TOTP albums that are worth getting. Saves you sifting through all the other shit.

Just watching the Six Million Dollar Man from the beginning, its no wonder we all ended up breakbeat nuts, another show that is constant breaks all the way through haha

I never saw that show. Maybe I should. I've got three Kojak boxsets. Loads of stuff from that era has the best soundtracks. Ironside is also good thanks to Quincy Jones.

• Like 1

The Ironside soundtrack is dope and Quincy Jones was virtually untouchable when he was making those soundtracks back then

Have you heard The Anderson Tapes by QJ at all Joe ?

thats an lp i used for some great samples in my old tracks

Another great soundtrack from that same period is Herbie Hancocks score for the first Death Wish movie -I love that lp

Oliver Nelson is another name who made some amazing records in a similar vein and is someone who should be a lot more well known than he is and Shorty Rodgers too for that matter when I come to think about it

The Ironside soundtrack is dope and Quincy Jones was virtually untouchable when he was making those soundtracks back then

Have you heard The Anderson Tapes by QJ at all Joe ?

thats an lp i used for some great samples in my old tracks

Another great soundtrack from that same period is Herbie Hancocks score for the first Death Wish movie -I love that lp

Oliver Nelson is another name who made some amazing records in a similar vein and is someone who should be a lot more well known than he is and Shorty Rodgers too for that matter when I come to think about it

I hadn't heard of the Anderson Tapes. I googled it and found the Theme From... but no LP. The track appears on the Smackwater Jack and Ironside LPs. I found a forum online where people said they had seen the film and the soundtrack was dope but they couldn't find the OST on vinyl.

I've got the Dollar$, Lost Man and In the Heat of the Night soundtracks from QJ. All top quality.

• Like 1

Oops sorry bout that my mistake

i meant just the actual theme track itself i re-read the post and it should have said on an lp i used for samples (which was a compilation of Quincy Jones tv and film scores )

Ive searched for the full Anderson Tapes soundtrack before myself but unfortunately there isnt one available as far as I know like you said