G.O.A.T (Breaks & Beats)

danswift

Oh no, now I've got some Frenchie in the shop making me spin jazz records for him...

Every one that has something I'd like to sample on it, he's keeping. What a bell.

Actually, he turned out to be a different kind of arsehole. One who reckons he's a jazz expert and claims to be looking for free-jazz. Except the million records he's just got me to test play might as well have been chosen by drawing straws and he clearly knows nothing. He's finally left now with an LP by 'free jazz icon' Mel Torme.

• Like 2

These tracks along with the last two posts feature some of the drum breaks that ive used for my old recordings back in the days when I still owned a sampler...(well ive still got it but its broken and it lives in a cupboard waiting for the day I finally get it fixed up again and my son decides to come round and "borrow" it...probably for forever

even though hes got about 5 different samplers of his own he can use

A lot of people I know who are into the breaks have never even heard of this guy which is unbelievable

Break at 00.00

The drums on this are amazing

Ian Wallace

absolutley smashes it in my opinion and its one of my all time favourite breaks

Break at 00.00

Break at 00.00

The mighty Red Holt on the skins

Wow. That Labi Siffre tune is fire. My mate told me that 'I Got The' is the only good track on that LP and the rest of it is gash. I might have to slap him when I see him next!

Just checked Discogs and damn that album's expensive. One seller has a copy in really bad shape and he wants £50 for it :(

• Like 1

Yes Joe slap him hard

better still do it twice so he doesn't do it again hehe

Break at 00.00

And this next one is exclusively for you Joe

seeing as you missed out on the Labi Siffre break :d

Break at 00.00

• Like 1

Some timely choices Dan!.. I've been working on a beat the last week using the Grady Tate break and a couple of weeks back, I was helping the lads I teach make a beat using that Jack DeJohnette 'Epilog' break. Giving away their age and level of maturity slightly, they called the finished beat "Epic Log".

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

Used to excellent effect too. Proper nodder of a beat, that track, mate. Gets me nodding away long before the beat even drops

• Like 1

Break at 00.07

Years ago when I first started digging for breaks my old mate Tom who is a complete prog head and still thinks its the late 60s or early 70s said to me "ahhh you must be into Amon Duul then man if youre into drum breaks" ?

(actually he calls them drum solos but thats just Tom for you hehe)

I didnt know what he was on about tbh but long story short he played me all their records and i cant thank him enough and hes always recommended cool stuff to me ever since that he thinks ill appreciate

Amon Duul are fucking mental btw

Petesasqwax probably loves them I would imagine :d

Break at 00.00

I discovered this next drum break by accident about 20 odd years ago now

Eberhard Weber who is the bass player on this track is an artist who i like very much (I dont think there is an album of his thats been released that I dont own) but hes not very well known outside of the Jazz world

this is an lp i found by the 12 string guitarist Ralph Towner that Weber features on as a sideman and thats how i came to find the break

Guest petesasqwax

Amon Duul are fucking mental btw

Petesasqwax probably loves them I would imagine :d

You would imagine correctly mate (I'm sadly way too fucking nerdy not to state that Amon Duul II > Amon Duul, too! :d )

• Like 1

Hehe I just had a sneaking suspicion you would like that band Pete...

Break at 00.00

I don't know much about this guy (Mick Weaver) except that he's a session player whos backed a lot of famous musicians but heres another cool break ive gone digging for in the past

Brand X are another band that i like a lot and they also happen to be a good source for drum breaks (the lp "Do They Hurt" has some wicked breaks and tons of drum hits on it) as their numerous lps are chock full of them and whats even better is you can pick up those albums relatively cheaply still...

The one thing that pisses me off immensly is that Brand X are constantly referred to as some kind of Phil Collins side/vanity project which often puts people off

but this band was formed by bassist Percy Jones and the keyboard player Robin Lumley- Collins just happens to play the drums on some but not all of their albums

Break at 00.00

Like you say Dan, Wynder K Frog was totally a session player project and good like so many such things usually are. Apart from breaks, they did some very cool mod/freakbeat type stuff. Nice one for the Brand X tip off too, I've never really taken much notice of theior records and have probably missed the odd break because of my ignorance. I once had a really good Amon Dull II record at work but it was worth a lot of money, so I culdn't keep it :(

Pete - Cheers for the compliment on the dude, I seriously value the Sasqwax seal of approval! That was the one that got me back into pitch down for bass lines we were talking about. The result's very 90s, but then so am I!

• Like 1

I fucking love this break - its one of the very few ive got left on vinyl and to say i was happy when i first found this in Mole Jazz records in Kings Cross when i worked in London around 2001 is the understatement of the century ,if you are ever in the area go and check the store out (if its still there )

because its an absolute treasure trove of amazing music

Break at 00.00

NB- This track is one of the main reasons why you should sell off your giant flat screen television and go out and buy a better stereo instead

• Like 1