G.O.A.T (Breaks & Beats)

danswift

I just got back from checking out my mate's new record shop down the road in Hastings! He's slowly progressed from online sales, to an office/stockroom he opened to the public at weekends or by appointment to a proper shop space he's sharing with another record dealer. He's still setting it up, so things are all a bit makeshift for the next few weeks. But most of their stock is in and it's stacked with gems! If I'd had the money, I could of left with a crate full today. But I'm a pauper so just a couple today.

This Jay Berliner LP is stuffed full of good samples and that was the main draw, but there's little break on there too.

https://youtu.be/czgld38Wqgk

And record I just copped for the drum break I've wanted for ages!

• Like 1

Oh man i used to have a vinyl copy of that Sadistic Mika Band track some years ago ,

Dee and his girlfriend were crazy about MMM and i can remember playing that break to them when id not yet heard Eye of the Cyclops and they both literally leapt out of their seats shouting "fuck ! its Mix Master Mike"!! - to which I calmly replied "no it isn't,its the Sadistic Mika Band "... :d

• Like 1

I always (wrongly) assumed it wasn't a straight break, but something chopped and processed from a track (either Mike's or somebody else's). It goes back to what we were saying in the other thread about still being surprised by samples, especially when they're lifted wholesale from an of record.

Im pretty convinced that the extraordinary talented composer who we know by the name of Fatboy Slim has also used that break Rock..

Its possible and i cant remember but FBoy could have used it before MMM did in fact

Shit, that break sounds nearly exactly the same as one i made in 2000/01 somebody left a kit at my house, i couldn't even afford a shit mic back then, so i recorded it through headphones, sounds nearly identical to that vibe haha, I will try to find the track.

Memory is a funny old bugger, 1st i used the drum recordings on two tracks, and now i can't decide if one of them sounds a bit like that break, or if the recording through really crap mic (Headphones in my case) to tape is exactly how they got that sound, listening here on Airbook i am definitely hearing the same kind of vibe.

(yes the tracks are shit, yes the rapping is shit, yes the cutting is shit, i'm still just as shit at cutting, but the beat definitely has that sound)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Break @ 02.40

I like a bit of Deep Purple every now and again but it's a shame that Robert Plant refuses to reunite and tour with them.

It's common knowledge in the music industry that him and the bands guitarist Jeff Beck dont get along very well and Robert has also stated in the past that he doesn't want to be up on stage like some aging old rocker singing 'Layla' over and over,night after night.

It's disappointing but i fully support him in this decision.

Break @ 02.40

I like a bit of Deep Purple every now and again but it's a shame that Robert Plant refuses to reunite and tour with them.

It's common knowledge in the music industry that him and the bands guitarist Jeff Beck dont get along very well and Robert has also stated in the past that he doesn't want to be up on stage like some aging old rocker singing 'Layla' over and over,night after night.

It's disappointing but i fully support him in this decision.

Eh? What have Plant and Beck got to do with Deep Purple?

:p :p :p

Hahahaha ..

Aww come on dude surely you're not being serious ?

Everyone and his dog knows its just not the same band without Robert Plant and Jeff Beck.

But what about Dave Brock and Roky Erickson? Surely they were integral?

In the beginning, maybe.

I always liked Deep Purple when Duane Allman was with them.. it was a big mistake letting him join the Grateful Dead in my opinion and once Ian Gillan left to form Rainbow with Ritchie Blackmore from Black Sabbath it really was game over for the band.

Dave Brock is 76 years old now and as good as he once was I think he'd probably struggle a bit with the lead guitar solo in 'Here I Go Again' if he came back into the group.

• Like 1

I don't know if this counts as classic breaks but I somehow got this series of albums when I was subscribed to a Japanese (and other Asian countries) culture type magazine back when magazines were paper (ten years?!).

I didn't appreciate the opportunity for sampling at the time but I reheard it in a random playlist and it was like hearing dusty old vinyl break samples.

The album is called Thai Beat A Go Go and there's about four volumes I know of and the idea was to preserve the 45s released during the early Thai rock n roll scene where a lot of the tracks were covers of The Beatles and other hits but with a minimal lo-fi style. I can't find the exact tracks that are in my sample collection but this is one that I played around with.

The intro stabs and break are a James Bond cover that sound kinda cool chopped up. There's better classic covers that don't have breaks in the original but the Thai track has. Hopefully this isn't breaking any rules as they are not the original breaks but sometimes the strangest covers have the best samples.

• Like 2

Break @ 4.34

Break@ 00.53

Hopefully this isn't breaking any rules as they are not the original breaks but sometimes the strangest covers have the best samples.

Absolutely !

The second video of Johnny Frigo is a cool example of nice breaks on cover versions ... :8

The majority of the breaks I've used in my own productions haven't used the classics for drum samples and most of the things I use tend to come from Prog Rock or Jazz Fusion type records or other alternative sources .I'm not knocking the classics at all cause they are dope records to use and I will get round to doing a few tracks at some point that only use the classic breaks just to see how hard I can possibly flip them more than anything else.

I like the fact that drum breaks can come from literally anywhere..I was listening to a shitty live stand up comedy record by some redneck or other who also had a band with him on stage at a mates house a while ago that had some badass drum grooves on the lp in between the dross.

• Like 1

Break @ 4.34

https://youtu.be/geWpAIa5YWc

Break@ 00.53

Hopefully this isn't breaking any rules as they are not the original breaks but sometimes the strangest covers have the best samples.

Absolutely !

The second video of Johnny Frigo is a cool example of nice breaks on cover versions ... :8

The majority of the breaks I've used in my own productions haven't used the classics for drum samples and most of the things I use tend to come from Prog Rock or Jazz Fusion type records or other alternative sources .I'm not knocking the classics at all cause they are dope records to use and I will get round to doing a few tracks at some point that only use the classic breaks just to see how hard I can possibly flip them more than anything else.

I like the fact that drum breaks can come from literally anywhere..I was listening to a shitty live stand up comedy record by some redneck or other who also had a band with him on stage at a mates house a while ago that had some badass drum grooves on the lp in between the dross.

Yeah I like that break. Was doing a track with a Brubeck sample I need to finish this just reminded me (not very obscure Brubeck ha but I isolated the bass and it was heavy!). Think it was that Bossa Nova track. I am the same with finding obscure things to sample. I like finding loads of covers of a track I want to work with then cut all the little stabs and breaks out then add them in with the original track.

I have no skills though so I am sounding like I am some producer when I haven't even finished one track ha. Hopefully soon I might!

• Like 1