What games are you guys playing at the moment?

Steve

Last night I got Monster Hunters 4 Ultimate for 3DS. I'm new to the series but it sounds pretty good and like it has plenty of content and hundreds of hours of game play. It's on sale for $9. Haven't started it yet.

If you get into the Monster Hunter games, Monster Hunter: World is on Game Pass: -

• Like 1

I tried playing this earlier, as it just got added to Game Pass: -

It's fucking difficult, but if you like these sorts of old school run and gun side scrollers, it's definitely worth giving it a go, and it's only a ~400MB download.

It has local co-op, but no online unfortunately, which sucks for me as I definitely have Xbox Live friends who would play this with me if it did.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought Aground on Steam for $10 - it's a really nice RPG with lots of collecting and crafting at first sight but there's also a pretty good story, so it's not just a sandbox game without any goals. So far, I like it a lot.

You can play the demo in your browser: https://fancyfishgames.com/Aground/play/

The demo is pretty long and if you decide to buy it, you can export the savegame to the complete game.

I beat Judgment's main story over the weekend - really good story. A few repetitive moments when they shoehorned in stealth/follow missions to reinforce that the protagonist is a detective rather than a mobster like the Yakuza series, but fortunetly they're not that common. There's a huge amount of minigames, side quests and other things to do so I'm sure I'll at least double my play time doing those - they're already hilarious (as opposed to the pretty serious tone of the main story) so will be fun to play through all those. It's been reduced by $20 in the USA at the moment if you want to give it a go.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been playing Plants Vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville, the third game in the series.

They've released it as a "founder's edition" where you get it a discounted price, but the game is technically unfinished. They are adding more content to it weekly, over the course of several weeks, then eventually you will get the full, finished game.

It's fun, but also somewhat frustrating to play in the versus modes. They've taken some cues from Overwatch in terms of making it more team-based and with some of the modes (for example, there's a "push the payload" mode), but based on what I've played, nobody tries to work as a team. Not even close. Nobody talked in game chat. Every game was a bunch of people playing DPS characters, with me playing as a healer. The scoreboard for the game ranks players based on kills, so if you're focussing on healing and reviving players, you're always at or near the bottom, which makes it seem like you're not doing shit.

Despite the criticisms I've just made, I do think this game has potential though, and there's single player and co-op content that's fun as well as the versus modes, plus it's less than half the price of most games if you buy the founder's edition.

• 1 month later...

Not playing this yet, as it's not out until Nov 8th, but here's the next game I'll be playing. It's from the director of the Metal Gear Solid series. I've been following it since the first trailer in 2016 - it looks like a survival horror meets open world game, but also lots of exploration:

• Like 1

Dirk, i have no idea when i came out. i checked the sale on psn on some random shit and found titanfall 2 for $8. i'm usually not big on first person shooters but being able to climb in a mech sparked my interest. plus you cant beat it for $8. im still trying to get the hang of running on walls, but im enjoying it so far.

Woah when did Titanfall come to PS??? Thats one of the best games of this gen!

Titanfall 2 launched on Xbox, PS and PC. It was the first game that was (and still is) exclusive to Microsoft platforms.

On a related note, I was a badass at the first game if I do say so myself. :p

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been playing Forza Horizon 4, which has recently had a battle royale mode added to it.

It's pretty cool. There's up to 72 players in the game and everyone starts off in Minis. There are random car drops on the map and if you get to one first, you can swap your car out for the dropped car. Cars range from level 1 to level 10.

When you're near to another player on the map, you can sound your horn to challenge them. They have no choice but to take the challenge. A marker appears on the map that you race to. If you win, you have the option of either swapping your car out for theirs, or upgrading your existing car to the next level. The losing player gets eliminated.

The play area shrinks every so often and you have a life bar that goes down if you're outside the zone. If it reaches zero you get eliminated.

Once it gets down to 12 remaining players, there's one final race to a spot that appears randomly on the map.

I think it's fun, but I think it's a bit too luck-based, especially if you make it through to the final 12, because there's an element of luck on who is going to be closest to the marker on the map that you have to race to. With a few tweaks, it could be great though.

Not playing this yet, as it's not out until Nov 8th, but here's the next game I'll be playing. It's from the director of the Metal Gear Solid series. I've been following it since the first trailer in 2016 - it looks like a survival horror meets open world game, but also lots of exploration:

Just beat this. It's a great story and strangely addictive but is def not for everyone - the landscape itself is your enemy (albeit a beautiful one) most of the time and it takes a good few hours before things really pick up and doesn't get very action based until the last third of the game really. Very happy I played it though, but it's kind of the antithesis to a lot of western games in terms of how it delays traditional gaming gratification. The community aspect to building things with other players to make the landscape easier to traverse with better routes and leaving items/vehicles for others to use is a really nice touch too if you put the time in.

• 4 weeks later...

i took advantage of the holiday sales at gamestop and got a wii u. luckily the goofs at gamestop did not refurb the unit and left all the downloaded games on the unit. So i got splatoon, mario party, and something else for free. Ive been up playing splatoon for the past few weeks. the online turf battles are great. i was shocked to see that so many people are still playing splatoon 1. most of them are in asian countries though, but who cares.

• Like 1

my moms bought my sons a switch for christmas. i still havent had the chance to really try it out. what i really hate is that nintedo games rarely loose value. so i have to pay full price for mario odysey and spatoon 2, smash bros. they are all still $60 a game. and then you gotta make sure its not on the older nintendo consoles. like i've been trying to get zelda windwaker on game cube for cheap. i messed around and got windwaker and zelda breath of the wild bundled with the wii u for cheap. i only paid $80 for the wii U and those zelda games. breath of the wild is still $60 for the switch.

^^That's what i was gonna say. I got loads of dope game for 50-75% off. Get ya a big memory card and load up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitchDeals/

^^Follow that.

There are loads of good indie games and ports too. I do like actually buying the physical first party Nintendo games tho because they retain value like you said.

Here's a list of some of the digital games I got and price I paid. Most all of them were worth the price.

Nidhogg 2 $7
Sayonara Wild Hearts $11
Bad North $9
Titan Quest $12
I Hate Running Backwards $4
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 $15
Bomber Crew $5
Steamworld Heist $6
Escape Doodland $1
Pikuniku $6
VVVVVV $5
ToeJam&Earl: Back in the Groove $20