Man claims ownership of moving records backwards and forwards in a specific fashion; nerds worldwide laugh and point

Guest petesasqwax

• 3 weeks later...

That's really interesting shit, man - I totally never realised that his association with Ruck was connected to D's parting with Thud Rumble (I always figured it was royalties-related, like it appeared to be with Flare).

For whatever it's worth, you don't come across as siding with him at all, JB. In amongst all the other shit that surrounds any discussion about him, there has to be an acknowledgement that the Ruck is clearly one of the best to ever do it. I generally assume that goes without saying, but it's also very much worth saying, too, just to make sure nobody gets it twisted.

At the time when Asis was around and before, he was doing things that very few people were capable of. The thing is, though, I was very fortunate, at that time, to live within half an hour of one of the few people in the world who was without question his equal on the cut and who also happened to be one of the most humble, approachable and genuinely good people I've ever met or could ever hope to meet (RIP Dave Dee Swift). That probably had some bearing on how much or little I was prepared to listen to Ruck's bullshit.

Irrespective of that, though, the thing is - all that stuff is very relevant to the Ruck as he was back then, but who he is these days is a very different thing. Whereas before he was involved in trying to build the scene, spread knowledge and encourage others to increase their skills, all he seems interested in now is being outside of it yet still firing shots. That's entirely his prerogative, of course, but people would have taken a lot more notice of the Ruck who was running the OX label than they are this dude who calls himself Scratchgod whilst making electrosynth pop records.

It's dope you mentioned Dee Swift because he was the answer to aliaS back in the day. The piklz site was total chaos, early internet, mud slinging, everyone was using multiple aliases and Dee was like the white knight who could actually step to all the Rotten Apples of the world. It was funny back then and now all that's just considered played out trolling. Also, the internet scratch scene was HEAVILY USA centered and there was a lot of culture clash in the late 90s early 2000s. You guys from the UK don't take boasting the same way as we do in the US. Motherfuckers can't do anything in sports these days without pausing and doing the Thriller dance or some shit. I mean, hip hop is also kind of founded on that shit.

Anyway, from my perspective Nicks came out of left field with the shit he was doing and nobody was even really expecting it. You could see a that monolithic "ahhh" movement divide directly after Nicks started dropping files (this was the very late 90s, maybe very early 2000s). Now, he doesn't get all the credit by a long shot but it's easy to underestimate the musicality be injected into the scene if you didn't see the shift. At that time, all that was being talked about/posted was the next new clickity-clack shit. Ric was like "fuck that, its music". And it was not just with "scratch music" but with the scratches themselves taking a turn towards musicality. Everything became more musically oriented when before it was almost 100% technically oriented. You could litterally hear the effect it had on lots and lots of DJs. D-Styles, Mike Boo, Excess, Toadstyle, and others pushed everything in that new direction and we're still seeing the effects of that now. I can see how if you weren't into it back then you could miss that. It seems really obvious now, but at that time in the late 90s it was almost like everyone had forgotten the 80s and were just scratching robots.

I'm very big on giving credit where it's due though. If anything has progressed in the last 10-years it's battling. Ritchie deserves daps for his contributions.

Flare was a beast. He could also be a dick when he wanted to. It doesn't change the fact that he changed the landscape of scratching forever.

QBert did all sorts of fucked up shit on the boards back in the day. I think he figured out he couldn't afford to do that anymore as he got more established and Ric would call him "fake humble".

And yo Rockwell, that's right, Dave and Short did an interview for Turntable Radio and danced around the issue to an extent, but Dave said Q and Yoga didn't like the fact that he was associated with the Ruck and he didn't want to be restricted so he bounced. I'm SURE money was also an issue. Notice how the Clifford's Mustache 12" came out on Thud but Phantaz came out on Beat Junkie Sound. Short bounced at the same time. Yoga supposendly put all the backing behind Q and D and Short felt like they weren't getting the credit they deserved. They've obviously smoothed all that over.

Steve makes a point though about the difference in size now. I would say 2005 was the tail end of things in the US. If you went back to 1998-2000 or so EVERYBODY seemed to be picking up turntables. 15 years ago I would meet another DJ and instantly feel the need to take that person out because it seemed like everybody was jumping on the bandwagon and fake. By early 2000 a lot of DJs weren't even touring the US anymore and went straight to Europe. These days when I meet somebody who cuts it's like "ok you scratch, lets get up!" I'm not sure scratching/battle DJing can afford to infight like we used to. It's almost like we need to stick together to prevent extinction.

I can see how if you weren't watching all that go down, you can look back and see things differently. We lost a ton of info to the ages I'm sure. Back in the 90s Q was getting credit for being the first to use effects pedals with turntables and that's totally wrong. And what about Doc Rice? That guy was the first one I can think of to do a tutorial on scatch technique. Before that it was either listen and figure it out or you had to know somebody.

This thread makes me smile in a nostalgic way.

Guest Symatic

did anyone manage to find some Ruck v Rotten Apple or Vs Lorn fyles?

I'm mostly interested in hearing lorn cut...... but any old asis era files would be really good to listen to!

cheeeeeers

• Like 1

did anyone manage to find some Ruck v Rotten Apple or Vs Lorn fyles?

I'm mostly interested in hearing lorn cut...... but any old asis era files would be really good to listen to!

cheeeeeers

I think the Lorn files were beat files, not scratching. I don't ever remember hearing a Lorn cut file.

Here's aliaS v Rotten Apple

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83370632/alias_radiss.ram

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...