Man claims ownership of moving records backwards and forwards in a specific fashion; nerds worldwide laugh and point

Guest petesasqwax

Can understand everyone's view here, and jons right a few of us did jump on the bandwagon a little just for fun really I don't believe it was out real malicious. But if he's attacking Ritchie on social media he gottA expect a bit of a backlash. Obviously we gunna get behind him he's one of us int he. Hull and Scotland have traditionally been linked for millennia with our unemployment, drink/drug abuse and high rates of STI's. 😂😂

Oh and dope cutters!!! 😉

• Like 3

Cut a long story short I suppose the only one with any right to be angry is Ritchie, being called a biter in the scratch game is like being called a nonce on c wing. The rest of us well we still entitled to our opinion as long as we express it respectfully.

• Like 2

None of what ruck said about himself was wrong really, he is a pioneer, he has progressed beyond skratching, and even the fact he got involved sparked a massive discussion..... And we do need to confront the scene becoming stagnant... But yeah he just came across like kanye or something. Its the narcissism people dont like.

This is the classic Rick enigma. It's like "The nerve of this guy! Who does he think he is? ... Oh, well, yeah, I guess he did do that, and that, and ... FUCK!"

Ha!

But yo, Ritchie's part in the video was the illest part of the whole thing, hands down!

• Like 3

coming soon (possibly)

Ohhhhh.. now I get it! I didn't connect the FB post and the shirt till now. Pretty funny.

I'm all for intelligent discussion, it was just that the thread on Facebook turned into standard ricci bashing for the most part, and though he was out of line for calling Ritchie out, ricci was making some interesting points outside of that statement in the thread after and they were being ignored and people were taking the chance of him being accessible in public to bash him. I can understand the argument that making s big statement like that allows him to be open for criticism of course, but it wasn't done very tastefully

Like what interesting points? I didn't read the whole thing.

I'd argue Ricci set the tone with his "Y'all my sons" comment, to be honest Jon. If you give you respect you're entitled to expect it to be reciprocated; if you give disrespect all too often that's all you will receive. This is not respect as a scratch DJ, I'm referring to respect as a human. You may feel that it was likely to end up as that anyway due to how people generally react to him, but, again, he has always instigated that by his approach to almost anyone

Agreed.

You know, I like that you're so conscious of the politics and savvy at maneuvering through the upper echelons of the scratch/DJ world but you're also giving more respect than is maybe due. No doubt Ruck is one of the best there ever will be but guy has been a perpetual ass clown so I don't know how a person can't want to rib him back. To me him being a jackass is one thing but this is totally bullshit. Ruck's got a lot of nerve calling out an actual battle DJ like Ritchie for "biting" a technique? Not a routine but a combo. GTFOuttahere. IDK man... to me there's just something fundamentally wrong when someone that's afraid to battle and who constantly makes totally outlandish claims but the rest of the world is expected to just be cool with that. Skill doesn't supersede respect--irregardless of if it's Flare or Ruck or whomever. Lots of very talented people are dumb-asses. Maybe just chalk it up to that.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

It just seemed like an absurd target in this instance. This isn't some young kid running his mouth, this is somebody who is one of the most respected and respectful DJs out there at whom Ruck leveled ridiculous accusations with (as far as I'm aware) no preamble or justification. Right from the outset, Ritchie invited him to tinychat, which is the best option we as tablists have at present, in order to make it about cutting rather than shit-talking.

There are many forgettable things that happen on tinychat, but one of the more memorable ones was an instance which I'm sure Ritchie doesn't even remember. People were discussing a recent battle in which a few competitors had brought sets that weren't up to the standard by some margin (could've been online DMCs, I can't recall offhand). Without saying as much, Ritchie managed to remind everyone there that battling is a tough thing to do - that just getting involved and putting your reputation on the line requires an amount of dedication and balls & deserves a certain degree of respect, regardless of how great or otherwise the resulting set actually is. There are a many ways he could have said that, but he did it in a subtle, understated and respectful way that didn't say "if you haven't battled you don't deserve an opinion" (which I've heard from other DJs and I can understand where they're coming from) even though he would have been perfectly entitled to do so.

• Like 1

Jon - I don't think offering your perspective was a bad thing at all... looking back at the whole thread now it has grown into a bit of a silly monster - there were some great comments in there and maybe a few funny trolls, but there were some real cringeworthy bits too.

Also, you've inadvertently saved a future me from posing for selfies in nothing but a Y'ALL MY SONS T-Shirt... I could live with embarrassment, but I'd hate to ruin the surprise of the Christmas card I've made for Cut & Paste Records.

• Like 1

Just for the record! Having known the fellae since 98/99 Ritchie Ruftone is one of the nicest and most respectful guys you will ever meet! I popped over to see him for a cut earlier this year with my girlfriend who promtly decribed him as one of the nicest people she'd ever met! (Cheers btw)!!

Also just because you stumbled across a pattern one day during a 12 hour session doesn't really mean anything could have been any one of us! If he was making shit squiggly line videos calling himself ritchazoid and annoying everyone trying to cut that would be biting!

If he invented that pattern then cool thanks call it the ruckazoid shuffle and move on! Thanks for adding to the collective scratch pool!!

What does he want a hat and a balloon??

• Like 4

Shitbags like Rucker should be ferociously attacked any time they decide to crawl back from their fuckcaves. I don't care if he actually contributed anyhing at some point in time, any fucktard like him who is nothing but an ungratefull piece of shit should be attacked with no mercy by everyone. That douche never showed any appreciation for D Styles or anybody else who actually helped him shine a bit, yet he is still demanding respect and acknowledgement by everyone else. Fuckouttahere.

I don't hang out with Ruftone, nor I ever did any cuts with him, but he was the first person to explain to me about Vestax mixers and M44-7s, back in 2003 at Underground Solu'shn, and he saved me tons of money. All that while being a UK DMC champ. This is actual positive contribution to our artform and that's why I will always be on the side of Ruftone and against that prick.

• Like 3

I dig his work as a (scratch)-Producer. He also was always very open about his process of work. I did learn a lot from his endless monologues on asis and funkshitup. His Online-Persona-Approach is not my taste. When I met him once in Bern (along with D, Boo and DJ Ace), he was all mellow and nice. I think his ultimate problem is that he's a scratch-music-Producer who feels attacked by any other form of the wiki-wiki-sound, unless it comes from him or is from the same direction (for instance he digs DJ Teeko a lot). So it's the ultimate example of comparing apples and oranges...

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Yeah, I agree - I take nothing away from his talent or what he did with Asis in terms of getting a lot of information out there (which, although it was already out there, was either expensive or difficult for people to track down).

What I never understand was that the Ruck you would find on the Asis forums was an entirely different one to that which you'd encounter basically anywhere else on the interweb. It's almost as if he got his caps lock stuck on whenever he visited any site other than Asis

I dunno about you Arkei, but I find his beats weak, to say the least, and his whole "contribution" to scratching a self-overglorified shitstorm of endless monologues, like the ones you mention. Being nice and taking it easy to such pricks doesn't prove you polite and civilized, it just fuels their trolling persona.

We should really clarify a few things. Claiming something yourself doesn't actually means you own it. Anybody can claim whatever they want. It's the others who define the status of the one, i.e. history. And I am 100% sure that this shitbag will go down in history only as the biggest clown ever to touch a turntable. Seriously and by facts, he actually never contibuted anything by his own. Every single project/idea he claims as his own, always involved at least another individual, name it D, Woody or whatever. So what sort of individual greatness is that? And why we should keep on behaving nice and easy? This is not 2003, such morons should be wiped out of the face of scratch for good.

Guest petesasqwax

I dunno, I liked (and continue to like) Dirty Soap, Ghost The Amazing (although it's unspectacular without the Ghost acca) & Like A Box of Chocolates (although you could argue that it would be tepid without the track featuring Ruffneck J & D) . I've never tried any of the UPR records. Hmmm - I do see your point - everything aside from Dirty Soap involves other people - but he's still dope on the cut

kudos on "shitbag" btw. "Shitbag" doesn't get enough love

Thanks for the kudos Pete, I can't remeber where I first saw it written, lol!

Regarding the music, his shit always sounded soft to me and over-produced just to prove a point that was nowhere to be found. As for the cuts, there is not much to say about something that is not available to the public. He might have been at some point, but that was like 10 years ago, when someone could still check him out on a regular basis.

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

The most recent thing I heard him cut on was probably Scratch Nerds 2, but that was way too brief to really even pass comment on.

For whatever it's worth, I'm more interested in hearing some of those Rock Hard Bastards tracks that were supposedly on the way when D, Excess and Toad did the RHB tour...

From what I saw on the boards back in the day, I would say that the Ruck was, by far, the biggest innovator in the creation of "scratch music." I remember hating "aliaS" and then "Nicks" back on the TTNN. Then Nicks started dropping scratch compositions and they were so far advanced to what anybody was doing to date. This is now stuff that seems very obvious (like flare or a chirp scratch), but at the time it was not. I'm not even sure Asis existed at that point. That really opened people's eyes. D-Styles obviously recognized the talent because his association with Rick was a big thing that cause him to leave Thudrumble and start Funkshitup. He blew the doors open. Also, if you go back and listen to Scetchbook critically, he was just way, way advanced. I don't think anything has really caught up to. Phantazmagorea is a more listenable album but Scetchbook is more like a blueprint.

He's easily the best scratch drummer I've ever heard.

He did make his contributions to cuts too. The delayed flare (i.e. the Boomerang) was something I heard first out of him. He admitted to not having the types of chops D-Styles had but he does have his own style and he had unique phrasing that nobody else was doing at that time.

The Controller One was Ric's brainchild. Others had their hands in it but he was the first one I ever heard taking that concept to any material level. There had been talk of pitches making notes, but not putting it together like the C1 did.

Now, there is no question he'll challenge anyone without a second thought. I was looking at old files last night and there are all those battle files, vs. Rotten Apple, vs. Lorn, etc. He was constantly challenging Q back in the day. He basically put it like this ... hip hop is rooted in battling, lots of people keep that confined to DMC or whathaveyou but he would take that mentality to everything to push his game up. I think he sees it more for battling for a certain theology/code vs. just individuals.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure he's got a genius level I.Q. and like lots of people with that gift there's hindrances that go along with it. I know a handful of geniuses and they all tend to have trouble relating.

Now, I don't want any of this to taken in the wrong way, like I'm "siding" with Ric over others or downplaying their accomplishments. Many of you are far more advanced than I. I've just been around for a minute and saw a lot of this evolve and wanted to share my perspective. There is lots of room for coexistence and props all around despite the skirmishes that tend to break out in the "scratch game."

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

That's really interesting shit, man - I totally never realised that his association with Ruck was connected to D's parting with Thud Rumble (I always figured it was royalties-related, like it appeared to be with Flare).

For whatever it's worth, you don't come across as siding with him at all, JB. In amongst all the other shit that surrounds any discussion about him, there has to be an acknowledgement that the Ruck is clearly one of the best to ever do it. I generally assume that goes without saying, but it's also very much worth saying, too, just to make sure nobody gets it twisted.

At the time when Asis was around and before, he was doing things that very few people were capable of. The thing is, though, I was very fortunate, at that time, to live within half an hour of one of the few people in the world who was without question his equal on the cut and who also happened to be one of the most humble, approachable and genuinely good people I've ever met or could ever hope to meet (RIP Dave Dee Swift). That probably had some bearing on how much or little I was prepared to listen to Ruck's bullshit.

Irrespective of that, though, the thing is - all that stuff is very relevant to the Ruck as he was back then, but who he is these days is a very different thing. Whereas before he was involved in trying to build the scene, spread knowledge and encourage others to increase their skills, all he seems interested in now is being outside of it yet still firing shots. That's entirely his prerogative, of course, but people would have taken a lot more notice of the Ruck who was running the OX label than they are this dude who calls himself Scratchgod whilst making electrosynth pop records.

• Like 2

Jam, no disrespect, but everything you mention is like 10 years ago and probably subjective.

I've first noticed delayed flares from the ISP dudes, not him. Did they bite him? I highly doubt. I tried to listen to Schetchbook once, and that shit sounded like a exhausting attempt to midi connect as many foot samplers as possible, sparkled with shitloads of echo delays in auto loop. Maybe I remember it in a wrong way, but I wouldn't waste another hour for it. That C1 still looks to me like a retarded man's midi keyboard. Nothing on that turntable is usefull, besides the midi port. And it's already proven that there were a lot people involved in it, aside from the one who still tries to take total credit for it. Asisphonics tutorials? Been there, after I purchased my copy of DIY 1. After a week, I was back on that DVD. Scratch drumming? Who does that anymore? Actually, who bothered with that, ever? That's probably the least popular style and there's a good reason why, it gets boring really fast. Battle credentials? Where? In a forum? There have been ITF, WTK, B4B, DV and other scratch battles in the last 15 years, never seen him around.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

To me, Scetchbook is dope, but then I've always been massively into scratch production so scratch drumming (as a key part of that) is something I really appreciate too. I understand that it's niche - in fact, who the fuck am I kidding? If scratching is a niche part of hip-hop - which is niche already - then scratch production is a niche part of that... it's niche to the power of 3!

The C1 never interested me personally, but then I still use a 1210 with an 05pro - aside from Traktor DVS, my setup is the same as the classic original scratch setup from back in the 90s!