Man claims ownership of moving records backwards and forwards in a specific fashion; nerds worldwide laugh and point

Guest petesasqwax

Guest petesasqwax

"No ones coming off well in that thread"

Agreed - and I'd include myself in that. I'm possibly only making myself look worse both by bringing it here and by in the way in which I've done it. I don't know, but it exists - rightly or wrongly, it is in theory about scratching, therefore I shared it here because, by and large, that's one of the key interests we all share here.

• Like 2

I know what you mean Jon but on the same hand I agree with Pete. It does raise a few issues like for instance what constitutes biting anywayz? And therefore warrants discussion.

I remember the days before all these fancy 2clik variations. And pretty much every DJ used similar transform patterns. We all did what q now calls the joe Cooley on the right deck. We all did what I called the 2 forward ( 2 trannys on 1 forward stroke) as used by cash and David. I use that same motion when I'm 2 clikin, and the 3 forward I use wen I'm 3 clikkin. I mean how far do you go ?? Unless Ritchie used the same beat and the same sample at the same speed and copied exactly ruks routine how can he say it's biting?

I'm not entirely sure what ruks on about but I presume it's the short autobahn thing with a few diced trannys here and there, which to my knowledge is basically made of combining closed faderd baby and a one forward ( one tranny clk) or a stab if done slow, well I was doing that pattern (slower and spaced differently) on the upfaders when I was 14 or sumet. I was at jams only a week or so ago and I was on about doin closed faderd 2 clks on the ups wen we was both below the age of fifteen. I'm not saying I was doin out special as I heard them stab/ baby combos on all the old rap tunes.

Sorry bout the silly names I use for patterns but that was something me n jam did automatically as youths so we could talk bout the cuts we was doing. I'm sure all you lot had your own names for cuts.

To summarise

I personally think all cuts today are made from a small selection of cuts. So if you wanna be a dick you could say if your name isn't Theodore or flare or whatever then your biting. Or can someone please tell me the rules on this? Because it sounds a little like the sampling documentary I seen lately somewhere as in what constitutes stealing/ copyright infringement. Like they say in that doc, rap is made from sampling taking something and changing it to make something new, if that's the case then what Ritchie was doing is in fact true to the values of rap/hip hop.

#canofworms

• Like 2

Also would be interesting to know what you guys called cuts. We used to cal a tear a wobble or sumet ha😂😂😂 jam can clarify.

Just playing a sample we called repeats

Think we used to call the chirp choppin, I think because we was chopping half the sound away, then we thought that was the flare ha we was wrong.

There was the pull back which was a slow second half of a baby.

Then there was

Agh fuk it I'm chombawafflin, I shud have put this on a different thread anywayz😉

• Like 1

I'm all for intelligent discussion, it was just that the thread on Facebook turned into standard ricci bashing for the most part, and though he was out of line for calling Ritchie out, ricci was making some interesting points outside of that statement in the thread after and they were being ignored and people were taking the chance of him being accessible in public to bash him. I can understand the argument that making s big statement like that allows him to be open for criticism of course, but it wasn't done very tastefully

Guest petesasqwax

I'd argue Ricci set the tone with his "Y'all my sons" comment, to be honest Jon. If you give you respect you're entitled to expect it to be reciprocated; if you give disrespect all too often that's all you will receive. This is not respect as a scratch DJ, I'm referring to respect as a human. You may feel that it was likely to end up as that anyway due to how people generally react to him, but, again, he has always instigated that by his approach to almost anyone

• Like 1

A couple of my responses were particularly childish, but for me also his initial behaviour set the tone. Like a lot of people my only viable responses were mockery or anger... personally I reckon there's enough anger in the world and I have no desire to raise my blood pressure over someone so petty. I did eventually put my honest serious opinion and still stand by it. Also, let's not forget that this isn't Ruck's first infraction, he's been whipping his ego out on nice people who didn't deserve it for years now.

Like Si, I assumed it was Ritchie's double time vocal cuts in the IDA vid he didn't like. Proof if needed, that we do remember where we saw things first. Possibly though, as father of us all, it was actually the Darth Vader mask that offended him ;)

Jon, I appreciate that DJing is your profession and I totally respect the professional way in which you always carry yourself. It's part of what makes you, you and I'd never oppose that... but in the words of Skepta, that's not me.

As a turntablist forum, I do think that this is the place to discuss this. But I do agree it's the place for considered intelligent discussion, not a continued trolling campaign...

For instance, his logic in his two original tweets is deeply flawed. He's claiming to be a pioneer but bitching at people for doing their own versions of styles he created over a decade ago. Last time I checked a pioneer was somebody who did something fresh and original which influenced the scene for many years to come. Without influencing subsequent generations, you are not a pioneer. It would be like D-Styles suddenly getting mad at people in the late 2000s for doing chirp flares. Sons will learn from the father, he can't have it both ways.

As I said in my one serious FB comment, I do actually rate his talent as highly as it gets (at least when it comes to his classic turntablist output) and agree with some of the things he says sometimes - there are a lot of people doing the same stuff as each other, videos can mask things that all sound the same when reduced to just an audio file, etc. The trouble is, I find his online histrionics undermine the valid points he sometimes makes and cloud his legacy.

Guest petesasqwax

He's claiming to be a pioneer but bitching at people for doing their own versions of styles he created over a decade ago. Last time I checked a pioneer was somebody who did something fresh and original which influenced the scene for many years to come. Without influencing subsequent generations, you are not a pioneer. It would be like D-Styles suddenly getting mad at people in the late 2000s for doing chirp flares. Sons will learn from the father, he can't have it both ways.

That nails it so perfectly. Claim status as a pioneer and be glad when others follow; decry people as biters when they follow you and eschew the title of pioneer. Both ways are not an option.

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

None of what ruck said about himself was wrong really, he is a pioneer, he has progressed beyond skratching, and even the fact he got involved sparked a massive discussion..... And we do need to confront the scene becoming stagnant... But yeah he just came across like kanye or something. Its the narcissism people dont like.

what did i say that was childish?

after 48 hrs of abuse and violent threats from the dude i did swear at him and block him

:)

also i think with the tee shirt thing i just trying to turn a negative into a possitive - and lots of people were messaging me wanting them

basically i could either get pissed of at the situation or laugh it off and troll the troll - i choose the 2nd option

http://ttw.bigcartel.com/product/ya-ll-my-sons-tee

• Like 5

Guest petesasqwax

For my part I made a couple of fat comments which, in retrospect, I realised were puerile and which I've removed (including one in the original name of this thread). It had nothing to do with the discussion and only served to reduce it to the level of insults.

Overall I think the thread was pretty positive - loads of people talking (and actually thinking) about scratching. The notion of originality in breaks records was raised, which is an interesting side-topic (is it OK to lift a break from an existing record and use it as a break on your scratch tool? Does that change if it's a contemporary artist rather than an historical one?) etc

I chose to stay out of this discussion, mainly because there are more qualified people here to further the conversation, but mainly because it's all a bit sad to see something as dope as the scratch scene get turned into a bitching match.

I've always avoided signs of Ruck getting on his high-horse and claiming to be God, you're a DJ and musician dude, get over yourself.

• Like 1

what did i say that was childish?

after 48 hrs of abuse and violent threats from the dude i did swear at him and block him

:)

also i think with the tee shirt thing i just trying to turn a negative into a possitive - and lots of people were messaging me wanting them

basically i could either get pissed of at the situation or laugh it off and troll the troll - i choose the 2nd option

http://ttw.bigcartel.com/product/ya-ll-my-sons-tee

I spoke to Ritchie earlier to clear this up, but for the record: Ritchie's done nothing wrong. I was referring to those baiting Ricci.

I wish I kept my opinion to myself now :/

I'm not sure why this whole thing got so sentimental. This is classic Rucker BS, we got a proverb over here for that: rule the people by dividing them constantly. That pretty much sums it. This prick has been doing the same routine almost 15 years now. Post a file this, post a file that. Whatever dude, post a file yourself first and then demand for a response. Hasn't anybody taught this cunt any manners and proper etiquette?

I'm all with Ruftone on this one. The most horrible thing you can do to this fool is to profit of his ass, make those Tees and sell them like hot cakes!

• Like 3