Man claims ownership of moving records backwards and forwards in a specific fashion; nerds worldwide laugh and point

Guest petesasqwax

Some random thoughts on the above.

Interesting stuff Jam Burglar, those scratch boards were before my internet days so I missed all they brought. I agree on the scratch drumming too, although I think D's move away from Thud was about more than just having somnewhere else to go - wasn't there that old (turntable radio?) interview where he said he had nothing against Q but didn't like Yogafrog and that was why he went out on his own?

The C1's biggest limitation IMO is it's inability to retrigger the note as it changes it, so all you ever have is whiny tone routines - not useless, but still limiting. When Paul first put togther his custom Traktor setup with a midi keyboard that retriggered each note as well as changing it, the value of each sound's attack was brought into sharp focus... musically speaking, there are many times the possibilities over tones with no attack.

This thread and even he who shall not be mentioned's rants, do raise the important point of the real history of this niche interest we all love. It's easy now for some people to think that everything of value came from the handful of DJs who are still out there doing it or big on the current scene. But just taking ISP as one example, Flare and Disk rarely get a mention these days... but back in the day they each had their time of being just about the deadliest mofo on the cut. Of course we know why some DJs are forgotten or shunned, but I think other's just weren't businessmen (or didn't join a cult with one). Nobody really mentions Bulletproof these days, but again, once they were very important. I know Disk has been occasionally teasing on social media that he feels history has been inacurately told and that he's gonna make a film about how he saw it go down. I realise this will be very much his perspective, but I hope he does get one made cos I'd like to see it.

Guest Symatic

I was looking at old files last night and there are all those battle files, vs. Rotten Apple, vs. Lorn, etc. He was constantly challenging Q back in the day.

I would like to see these files :) i also missed out on the early forums... Its all legend to me :)

Guest petesasqwax

That's an excellent point about Disk etc., Matt. Whilst Thud Rumble wouldn't exist without Q, I think it's fair to say that it woudn't exist without Yoga too. Before Yoga got involved and took it to a business level, ISP was a bunch of crazily ill scratch nerds putting out breaks records with Dug1 cover art (mostly). When Yoga got involved he made it into a whole corporation and, however you feel about that, it has elevated the scene to a point where it probably wouldn't have gone without his involvement. Along the way many people have been pushed aside and lots of others have been apparently given a raw deal as regards money and recognition. That's fucked up, if true, but, for the sake of this thread at least, I don't want to dwell on that aspect. The key thing is: TR are in a position where they can control the flow of information and therefore they can control the narrative.

Rockwell, it's good that you mentioned those legends. Personally, my no1 favorite old school legend is Flare. And I strongly believe that Disk has been the biggest influence on Q, not MMM or D. But these people are a league of their own. Anybody can identify them, and there's a good reason for that. They never ranted about new DJs not recognizing them. Any rant I've seen has been against their peers, not people who might look up to them. That's the most important difference with this is prick we've been talking about.

Just my speculation, but I reckon when Yoga found ISP he realised they were they were a collective talent like no other. But I think he would also have seen them as a big sprawling monster of different personalities, lot's recreational drug use and too much to viably control or market. But I think he realised that if he could isolate just one member, then he and them could make some money. I'm sure he then focused all of his energies doing things to further Q and let the rest gradually fall away as more and more stuff occured that did not include or suit them. People who were mad free talents and/or doing it for the love and art rather than commercial gain were never going to hang around for that long.

Kebzer - yep, I'm with you on Disk being Q's main influence... peroid footage says it all. But he was the first to go and I always get the impression he went less quietly than some of the others.

I don't think the Ruck is a genius on any level, but he was definitely one of the top scratch DJs of his era, and he was certainly influential when it came to scratch music too.

That era was the best for the scratch scene IMO. Around 2005, even though there were a bunch of competing forums to DV, of varying popularity, this site would get 8,000+ posts per month. Now it gets around 1,500. People would constantly be posting up scratch files and little compositions to get feedback. It was more competitive. There was more shit talking. There was more talking about scratching and turntablism in general. There were people making aliases just so they could fuck around and call someone out with a "post a file bitch!". It was more fun.

Obviously Facebook has changed things a lot and there's a ton of DJs and DJ groups on there, but it doesn't have the same vibe.

Oh, and I miss DJ Rusty too. Whatever happened to that guy? :p

• Like 3

Some good points there Steve. I know you can't go back in time or recreate something that organicaly happened, but I wish there was a bit more going on, particularly in the battle mentality and file posting stakes.

It seems that these days nothing gets negative comments (even on social media), you sort of judge stuff by the quantity of small positive comments each video or track gets - 10-15 "dopes" = it's actually really good, under 10 = pretty solid, no comments at all = total rubbish but nobody is going to say it, because they don't want to be mean (fair enough) or because they are scared of damaging their own social media profile. Occasionally of course shit just gets lost in the tsunami of scratchy social media or someone's social media skills don't match their scratch skills.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Yeah, totally valid points. I loved the "post a file" era too. We started Snatchcon purely to foster more shit-talking and, as a result, more file-posting leading to a growth of The Scene. I certainly wasn't anywhere near being one of the best of DJs on there - or even one of the best shit-talkers - but I was one of the most capable of actually producing/creating tracks, so I created my share of aliases too (I still have the Snatch Perverts & DJ VOLUME files somewhere). As much as it started a load of drama and name calling (which some people might see as negative) it also generated a lot of genuinely funny shit and, more importantly, increased the skills of a lot of people whilst simultaneously building up the amount of material which was out there.

I don't like that people are overly concerned by "likes". I mean, that's the reasoning behind all this bullshit Instagram 15 second video bollocks, right?

One thing that's changed is that in 2005, YouTube had only just come out, people still had slow internet connections, so it was all about posting audio and chatting about how techniques were done. Now you can go on YouTube and find all kinds of tutorials from basic to high level. When I click through the scratch videos on Facebook that fill up my news feed, everyone is a decent standard or above. It doesn't have that "there's a bunch of people who aren't that great who are trying to figure shit out" vibe about it now and maybe that's why there's not much to say when it comes to feedback.

It was the same when it came to recording too. Like Pete says, he was one of the most capable of producing tracks, but back then a lot of people were only just starting to learn about multitrack recording with their cracked version of Cool Edit Pro.

A lot of the people posting here now were around back then too, and even the new members that sign up who become regular posters aren't n00bs, so it's like everyone's grown up I guess.

I'm all for intelligent discussion, it was just that the thread on Facebook turned into standard ricci bashing for the most part, and though he was out of line for calling Ritchie out, ricci was making some interesting points outside of that statement in the thread after and they were being ignored and people were taking the chance of him being accessible in public to bash him. I can understand the argument that making s big statement like that allows him to be open for criticism of course, but it wasn't done very tastefully

Like what interesting points? I didn't read the whole thing.

Sorry for the slow reply, Dirk :(

I can't seem to access Ritchie's original post at the moment either, but from what I remember there was a comment on there not being a decent balance between turntablists posting technical/battle videos and composed music/audio. Obviously what people do with their turntables is up to them and obviously I'm guilty of going down the battle route for a few years rather than putting out my own music too, but it would have been interesting to see more people go down the scratch music route. CSG crew, Teeko, Brace, C2C and 9oclock to name a few have really done that and each have their own style and way of writing and performing their music, but it'd be dope to see more.

Oh, and I miss DJ Rusty too. Whatever happened to that guy? :p

He says:

You'll always be DJ Rusty in my mind, my heart, and my underpants, Jon.

You'll always be that super cute nickname I'm not allowed on to write on DV for fean of bannage, Steve xxxx

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

One thing that's changed is that in 2005, YouTube had only just come out, people still had slow internet connections, so it was all about posting audio and chatting about how techniques were done.

That's so fucking true man - I'd almost forgotten that! My collection of files from back in those days was 90% comprised of RealMedia format!

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Obviously what people do with their turntables is up to them and obviously I'm guilty of going down the battle route for a few years rather than putting out my own music too, but it would have been interesting to see more people go down the scratch music route. CSG crew, Teeko, Brace, C2C and 9oclock to name a few have really done that and each have their own style and way of writing and performing their music, but it'd be dope to see more.

This, massively. I've been guilty of not recording enough too. I've contributed a handful of scratch tracks and that's about it. It's something I'd really like to encourage a lot more people to do, but what's the best way of doing it? I've thought about maybe doing a scratch production battle on here, but maybe that isn't the best format to get the maximum number of folk involved.

Another true story: I still don't know how to use any multitrack audio software, not even Cool Edit Pro :( I really need to remedy this.

with all your hardwares i thought you'd be on it m8? I'm sure i can show you basics at the next sss i can make it down to

Obviously what people do with their turntables is up to them and obviously I'm guilty of going down the battle route for a few years rather than putting out my own music too, but it would have been interesting to see more people go down the scratch music route. CSG crew, Teeko, Brace, C2C and 9oclock to name a few have really done that and each have their own style and way of writing and performing their music, but it'd be dope to see more.

This, massively. I've been guilty of not recording enough too. I've contributed a handful of scratch tracks and that's about it. It's something I'd really like to encourage a lot more people to do, but what's the best way of doing it? I've thought about maybe doing a scratch production battle on here, but maybe that isn't the best format to get the maximum number of folk involved.

I think battle is perhaps the wrong idea as it instantly makes it a competition and would make me want to make more 'technical' productions rather than doing it for the feels. I think people should feel open to posting their stuff but I can understand it can be super personal too so perhaps not everyone feels like sharing. I think the best thing to do to encourage people is to make stuff for yourself and share it online via forums/social media, and you might inspire someone to try making something?

I've done some pseudo scratch music recently where I've used cutting as parts of beats (some the stuff I sent you the other day Pete), that'll be out real soon, so I'll post it when it's all online, but I'd like to do more.

• Like 1

I don't like that people are overly concerned by "likes". I mean, that's the reasoning behind all this bullshit Instagram 15 second video bollocks, right?

One thing that's changed is that in 2005, YouTube had only just come out, people still had slow internet connections, so it was all about posting audio and chatting about how techniques were done. Now you can go on YouTube and find all kinds of tutorials from basic to high level. When I click through the scratch videos on Facebook that fill up my news feed, everyone is a decent standard or above. It doesn't have that "there's a bunch of people who aren't that great who are trying to figure shit out" vibe about it now and maybe that's why there's not much to say when it comes to feedback.

It was the same when it came to recording too. Like Pete says, he was one of the most capable of producing tracks, but back then a lot of people were only just starting to learn about multitrack recording with their cracked version of Cool Edit Pro.

A lot of the people posting here now were around back then too, and even the new members that sign up who become regular posters aren't n00bs, so it's like everyone's grown up I guess.

Co-sign. And I too feel that the scene reached a peak and hasen't recovered since. It turned from an art into a sport, but that's just my personal subjective point of view.

Jon - Afraid not dude, I've had Logic and Live on my computer for ever as well. But I still just record samples into Maschine for midi triggering (and before that, an MPC).

It's my own fault really, it's just too easy to fire up what I know and get something done, rather than struggle for hours and not get stuff done because I can't find one simple command/function. Also for a while I was trying to learn to up my making beats game and it was obvious that it didn't matter what I used if the idea and execution wasn't solid.

Excuses aside though, for the last few months I've really been thinking I need to rectify this and I'm definitely missing out on ideas I'd like to crack on with because I'm avoiding the technology I need to make it happen.

Jon - Afraid not dude, I've had Logic and Live on my computer for ever as well. But I still just record samples into Maschine for midi triggering (and before that, an MPC).

It's my own fault really, it's just too easy to fire up what I know and get something done, rather than struggle for hours and not get stuff done because I can't find one simple command/function. Also for a while I was trying to learn to up my making beats game and it was obvious that it didn't matter what I used if the idea and execution wasn't solid.

Excuses aside though, for the last few months I've really been thinking I need to rectify this and I'm definitely missing out on ideas I'd like to crack on with because I'm avoiding the technology I need to make it happen.

Ableton crash course at SSS it is!

• Like 2