Scratch production

Guest petesasqwax

Guest petesasqwax

[quote name="Phology" post="398934" timestamp="1445628013"

i'd love to put together a fully scratched album, I bought a loop pedal a few years ago for that very reason but never used it! doh!

Do you have DVS? I reckon the easiest thing you can do to kickstart the process is render some track elements as loops and cut them up in a project. Honestly, it's mind blowing lying straightforward to get new ideas

[quote name="Phology" post="398934" timestamp="1445628013"

i'd love to put together a fully scratched album, I bought a loop pedal a few years ago for that very reason but never used it! doh!

Do you have DVS? I reckon the easiest thing you can do to kickstart the process is render some track elements as loops and cut them up in a project. Honestly, it's mind blowing lying straightforward to get new ideas

I did mess around with some ideas when I first bought the pedal, basically just using samples ripped from vinyl, then into Serato and layering the scratches into 4 bar loops with the pedal. It was so different from my normal production style that I guess I just gave up.

I actually got it out of the cupboard last night to have another look, so maybe i'll try again!

It's a DigiTech JamMan pedal

http://digitech.com/en/products/jamman

ALL skratched music is actually extremely rare, most stuff is skratch/ midi hybrid but some of it definitely has that certain skratch vibe to it. just off the head:

red's "fingerprints" album is absolutely great, got to check that out. can't forget teeko on that list, his second album "light up the darkness" is super slept on, sone of the best skratch related music EVER! the individual members of alien army had some great solo releases, like dj tayone's album "photographie", john type's album "lunatic decadence" (which has a great d-styles feature!) or some of dj skizo's releases. can't think of any more now that haven't been mentioned already although i probably forgot half a dozen...

did y'all hear about shortkut's solo album and the new isp album yet?

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

I've got to admit, I can absolutely appreciate how great the solo stuff from the Alien Army guys are, but it's the earlier (group) stuff that REALLY does it for me. Maybe I'm a twat, but I really don't dig scratch jazz. It's way too close to acid jazz, for me. I like my scratch NASTY. Dope shit though, all the same. Crazy skilled and deserving of immense props

• Like 1

Shit, yeah! 'Welcome To Last Week'?

Giant & Hentsix - Circadian Rhythms, the album before Welcome To Last Week, is one of my favorites. Also Chinch33 has some really all scratch albums, Escape From The Incubator & Surrender.

http://www.tablist.net/artist/chinch33

Also there are some really good ones on The White Paper Project.

I'm not sure the track list is 100% correct here:

http://www.tablist.net/album/white-paper-project-scratch-compilation

thought id mention none of the tracks on circular causality were all scratched. That form of making music has never really appealed to me. I have to say it's real shitty reading the snarky comment comparing my album release with an album infamous for its none/late release. I'm learning not to share stuff I wanna do with people now, as a lot of peeps seem to get pleasure out of applying their own deadlines to works they're not involved in..

I have to say it's real shitty reading the snarky comment comparing my album release with an album infamous for its none/late release. I'm learning not to share stuff I wanna do with people now, as a lot of peeps seem to get pleasure out of applying their own deadlines to works they're not involved in..

I'm really really sorry for causing offence with what I wrote. In no way at all did I ever or would I ever mean to offend you in any way. The only similarities I could ever draw between yourself and Toadstyle is that I seriously rate what you do and am always looking forward to work.

I'm really not even one of those people champing at the bit for anticipated works to get released - it makes zero sense to get excited by what you've never heard or want it sooner, as without hearing it how can you even know if you're gonna like it?

What I can be sure of, is that I do really rate everything I've heard you do (both live and recorded) and I do want you know that I'm glad you do what you do and if and when you decide to release something, I will be keen to hear it. I'd never seriously suggest anybody release music to deadlines either, if you're a fan of somebody's work surely you'd want to hear it finished, not whatever's done ASAP? I realise making music is a very personal thing and I respect anybody who does and is brave enough to share it with the world.

But TBH in this exact instance, my comment wasn't really about making a point of any kind... This last week has been a particularly shitty dark one for me and I've had to spend most of it on my own at work. Rather than letting my mind wander too much, DV has been very welcome distraction. What I wrote was simply me adding what I believed to be a light-hearted quip to a conversation that I had nothing really to add to. I never realised that I would be offending you in the process and would never have said a word if I had realised. With the benefit of hindsight I now see the bigger picture and in the future I'll stick to the advice is was regularly given as a kid... "if you don't have anything useful to say, don't say anything at all".

Guest petesasqwax

Honestly, man, there's no way that Matt intended that as a snarky comment. He's one of the most genuinely good-natured, supportive and encouraging people I know (and I consider DV as being a place which is pretty well stocked with people who are in that category too). I'm pretty sure the comment was simply a throwaway remark about how projected release dates are pointless and things will come out whenever they do. The fact that you were mentioned is more likely due to you having been one of the few amongst us who actually has and does release music than anything else.

Pete, I'm not gonna enter into a debate about what was actually meant. When someone says an album will be 'out soon, after switch blade sermons 2' I take it as a dig related to the none release of said thing. Rockwell, I know nothing was intended from it other than having a laugh, it just happened to strike a nerve with me last night as its related to stuff I'm going through health wise and doubts I have. Your dark shitty week happened to coincide and mingle with my dark shitty few months (I'm not trying to compete in a dick length contest for shit time duration, just saying how its been on my end). I know you're a nice guy from having met you and I don't hold any ill will to you, I'd just write that to anyone at this time regardless of whether or not its meant in jest. Anyway, I'm aware I took a small comment somewhat too seriously, so apologies for that.

I'll throw my own hat in the ring...why not. Still working on new and more dynamic stuff that may/may not ever see the light of day but yeah....this is one of the rarest arts there is IMO...very few doing ALL scratched and even fewer doing it to the level that its actually listenable/good. I applaud anyone who can do it and do it well...takes a lot of work!

• Like 4