Scratch production

Guest petesasqwax

Guest petesasqwax

An old favourite back again.

I've been listening to Mike Boo's 'Dunhill Drone Committee' album a lot this week after picking it up again on CD recently so that I could have it in the car. On the back of that, I compiled all of Excess's stuff onto a CD too (which is so fucking good - that shit should have come out as a proper LP, but I've said this before, many times).

The area of scratch production is such an underpopulated place, though and I always forget some of the few people who have done it. Just to be clear: I'm not meaning people who make a beat and scratch over it, I'm meaning albums made from scratch, as it were

Excess bringles
Mike Boo 'Dunhill Drone Committee'
Tha Rack & Mike Boo 'Scetchbook' (the "c" is for szqxkratch)
Kid Koala (basically everything - big ups KK!)
D-Styles 'Phantazmagorea'
MMM 'Anti-Theft Device' (although I know much of the album is produced rather than scratched)
Q-Bert 'Wave Twisters'
Disk 'Ancient Termites' (I'm almost certain, but will re-listen tonight)

Off the top of my head, I can't remember if these have scratched productions under their belts or not:
Alien Army
Swamp
Nick Nack
Eddie Def/BPST
Faust/Shortee
Birdy Nam Nam

Who else (/what other releases) am I forgetting?

Guest Symatic

handroidz? i dunno of they actually realeased any of their stuff though.

i've got something by Ruckus Roboticus (no relation to the ruck apparently) which is kind of scratch production but definately studio post-produced.....

oh what about GRANDMASTER FLASH ADVENTURES ON THE WHEELS OF STEEL!!!

Guest petesasqwax

Nice! Totally missed that, Phology. Will have to pick that up

Sy - excellent call on those named. I'm wanting more cutting individual beats rather than juggling breaks a la J-Live really (though that track was and still is dope and it blew me away to see the video of him performing it!)

Guest petesasqwax

Studio post-production is totally fine with me. However a person gets the best sound/closest sound to what is in their head - that's all good as far as my ears are concerned. I look at it like any other instrument - if a guitarist layered something with a loop pedal or they took all week to construct it in a studio, the only thing I'm interested in is what it sounds like, at the end of the day

All the Handroidz stuff I have is sampler production with cuts over the top, as far as I know (it's DOPE though!)

Fuck yeah to the GAWD Jimmy P!

Guest Symatic

All the Handroidz stuff I have is sampler production with cuts over the top, as far as I know (it's DOPE though!)

they do a bit of live beatmaking on the decks here:

Wow, I like that Red stuff. Never heard that before.

I take it, you already got the Giant & Hentsix stuff?

I've got that Giant Hentsix CD and it's nice. I have a few other things floating around too by various peeps from back in the day.

Pete, you and I have already PMed about DJ Manifest "Sonic Abstactions"

But yo, haven't we all done some scratch production at some point? There's lots and lots of amatuerish stuff out there. The real problem seemed to be that you have to have a very high skill level to even fuck with scratch production. The hardest thing for me was trying to make anything that wasn't loop based. The Ruck is a beast of drums. It's really easy to underestimate the skill level there.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Hell yeah, man - DJ Manifest definitely deserves a mention in here! You're 100% right on having done scratch production. I'm sure most of us have at least played around with some ideas. It's something I have done a lot over the years but have only been happy with a few things. Now I have Ableton setup to record Traktor, it's unbelievably easy though. It's practically cheating. I can pre-produced ideas and then render them as samples to be cut up on Traktor and recorded afresh. It's insanely simple! I honestly don't think you even need to be at such a high level of skill to be able to make interesting stuff. A lot of the time, hooking up a simple kick and snare pattern and layering a track of hats over it with an 808 kick underneath is halfway towards being a track.

• Like 1

I'm sure most of us have at least played around with some ideas. It's something I have done a lot over the years but have only been happy with a few things. Now I have Ableton setup to record Traktor, it's unbelievably easy though. It's practically cheating. I can pre-produced ideas and then render them as samples to be cut up on Traktor and recorded afresh. It's insanely simple! I honestly don't think you even need to be at such a high level of skill to be able to make interesting stuff. A lot of the time, hooking up a simple kick and snare pattern and layering a track of hats over it with an 808 kick underneath is halfway towards being a track.

i'd love to put together a fully scratched album, I bought a loop pedal a few years ago for that very reason but never used it! doh!

Guest petesasqwax

Wow, I like that Red stuff. Never heard that before.

i think he's British, but I could be wrong

Yeah, if he's on Dealmaker there's a strong chance he's from Notts

• Like 1