BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE... sample from his flock, win a place in Heaven!

DJ Rock Well

Time for a new beat battle I reckon.

Private press Christian records have long been prized by diggers for sampling, because of their scarcity, occasional good sounds and the fact that Christians aren't as litigious as Sony, BMG, EMI, etc.

So for this challenge, you have sample from this record I've found called "Forgiven..." by Ron Salsbury & The J.C. Power Outlet (that's right, "JC" as in Jesus Christ... Hallelujah!) on cult label Myrrh.

Here's the whole thing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/owpan86t4gqanay/jc%20power.zip?dl=0

The only rule is that you have to sample at least one sound from the audiofiles provided above. You can add any other sounds you like. The final result can be any style or genre you like.

It's not an easy record to mine as a lot of the music is so bad it makes you want to self harm, but there are sounds on there. It'll probably take some chopping and playing with to get something good from, but that's why they call it a "challenge".

Post up your entries in the comments of this thread.

Deadline for entries will be Tuesday 13th October. After that we'll have public vote for a week and then the winner is guaranteed a place in Heaven.

Any questions or problems? Ask me here in he comments or PM me if it is of a personal nature or matter of faith.

• Like 1

wow. is that photo like a metaphor? does it mean.... putting plasters on apples is completely pointless? i mean someone had to bite that off, spit it out and stick it back together. what does that mean?

that pic kind of reminds me of Honey I Shrunk The Kids actually

• Like 1

I guess it symbolizes a reversal of the fall of man.

This album will take us back to the archaic times before the fruit of the tree of knowledge has been picked. Quite important knowledge like maintaining a proper shave and choosing tasteful shirts that is.

• Like 1

I made a beat last night. I think it should be samples only! No external sounds :) i got the basic loop down, gonna build it up tonight

I hope that when it comes to voting, people will look more favourably on beats that have gone the extra mile. When posting, fee free to tell the world why what you did was best.

• Like 1

Here's my track! If someone (Steve) can embed the Bandcamp player into this thread please?

It's made nearly entirely of samples from the audio files, I only added an extra kick drum layer and a tambourine. would've liked to spent more time on it but I hope you like it.

https://middletownsounds.bandcamp.com/track/phology-dv-beat-battle-sample-challenge

Love both these beats!

For a minute when I posted this I thought maybe I'd put people off with the sample source as it makes you work a little bit for it's goodness... of course, I was wrong though. I can't wait to hear some more.

Definitely we can compile entries into a looper like we used to do with the scratch beat battle stuff (when I say "we" I mean someone who's not me who actually knows how to build them). All I would say, is that as this wasn't specifically a scratch beat battle, If anybody out there is working on something that is in no way applicable as a scratch beat, don't let this put you off. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Phology - I think that only a moderator can embed a bandcamp player (via HTML)... I am a moderator but sadly I know nothing about HTML :(

• Like 1