BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE... sample from his flock, win a place in Heaven!

DJ Rock Well

@ Justin, thanks man!

Not sure what change up you're talking about though, sure it didn't go to the next track on sound cloud? ha ha

@ Pete

Shhheiiittttt

Can't believe that's from the same record I sampled haha.

What you use for your bass if you don't mind me asking? I still suck at getting nice bass me thinks.

Guest petesasqwax

Hehe - thanks man. I'll go through all the effects I used and see what it was if that helps or would be of interest. Would anyone be into putting up a bit about the process they used (beyond: I did it on an MPC/in Ableton/Maschine etc.? I'm really intrigued at how these beat battles always throw up such a wide variety of styles - I'd like to see a bit of the behind the curtain stuff to get a better understanding of how we all do what we do. Yes, I want to producer need. I said that shit. It's in the open.

Guest petesasqwax

ah, man - that was DOPE! massively enjoyed that - irrespective of the artifacts. what did you use to do the screen capture video? I need to dig out a microphone and sort my vid out this weekend

Guest petesasqwax

Man, it occurs to me whilst watching your vid that I use basically nothing at all in terms of the included Ableton plugins. The only thing I've used is the "convert wav to MIDI melody" but even then I didn't use the built in VST synth. I'm so stuck in my ways - I just the same group of third party plug ins and VSTis that I've come to depend upon

Ha ha thanks chaps. I get told I have a nice voice a lot when I play online gaymes :)

Dunno if you mac or what Pete but this is the best guide I found. It's got lots of different methods, I used the first sound flower / quicktime method as I already use that programme:

http://superuser.com/questions/693262/how-to-record-both-mic-audio-and-speakers-while-using-headset

I think I have to use a lot of Ableton plugs coz my computer doesn't handle lots of other shit too well, they don't tend to be as optimised as the native ones.

Looking forward to ya'll vids!

Guest petesasqwax

I'm on Windows 7 but on that link you posted there's a Windows7 one on the quick links part on the right hand side :)

I am almost embarrased to post this, even more about listening to the pure dopeness that you guys have managed to do. I guess you can stop worrying about coming out last since I'm obviously the bottom entrance haha.

Here is my humble loop lol:
https://soundcloud.com/kasbe-2/dv-jloop2

I listened to the record chopping whatever bits sounded good in Audacity, then transfered it to the MPC500 and played around a bit until I found something I liked. Added drums and that's it. I was thinking about just a simple loop to scratch too. 85 BPM since it's the tempo I'm using to learn the 2 Click Flare.

Picture is an old sticker design.

Maaan I really have a loooong way to walk. I don't even know how to use everything on the MPC500 let alone get close to the things I've heard in this thread. I just hope I make it to the looper on something besides the cover :p