Quiet mixer?

Guest Symatic

innofaders can be set up to be nice and quiet i think... but it might depend which mixer you use em on. i duno, ive tried em in vestax 05 / 08 / 06, rane62, qfo, and its kinda different every time, but they definately can be made really quiet

pro x is fairly quiet too

I'm pretty sure that almost any fader can be modified to be quiet(er) with relative ease. You just need to add some rubber padding to eliminate metal to metal/plastic contact when the fader hits the sides.

But as far as 'stock' options go, I think the Vestax PCV fader with the lag spacer (Vestax CLS-1) is a good option. I remember the DJM707 fader having more of a 'thud" than 'click' when hitting the sides also, which I liked.

Vestax with cut lag spacers are dead quiet, a nice little "thud". Ranes and Innofaders are second.

^ seconded.

cs1 spacers (i seem to remember thats what they're called?) are made of dense rubber....work a charm to dead out noise!!

I actually have a whole bag of those little fuckers back in the uk, along with my 08 with pro x inside......wish i had it here.

Vestax with cut lag spacers are dead quiet, a nice little "thud". Ranes and Innofaders are second.

^ seconded.

cs1 spacers (i seem to remember thats what they're called?) are made of dense rubber....work a charm to dead out noise!!

I actually have a whole bag of those little fuckers back in the uk, along with my 08 with pro x inside......wish i had it here.

Close ;) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/464048-REG/Vestax_CLS1_CLS_1_Cut_Lag_Spacer.html

• Like 1

Ecler Eternal can be very quiet, but only because it is buttery light and doesn't require a lot of movement (unless you have longer strokes)....

I feel like the material and thickness of the fader cap makes a big difference in the type of "thud" that you get.

Innofader is pretty quiet.

Old 56 or Innofader would probably be the quieter options I've tried. The earliest 56 faders are are slightly quieter than the later (but still original model) ones - the end blocks on the fader were a bit more rubbery.

Ultimately though, there's a big difference between a fader that's quiet enough not to bug you when you cut and one that won't annoy someone else in a quiet room. Even ones that don't click off the end stops, still rattle around a bit as you use them (05 IV for instance).

You've probably already covered this, but have you done anything to the scratch box to quieten it down a bit. On mine I wound the metal screw out and made a bit of a pad on the plastic end block from electrical tape - there's not any room to do any more though and it is still quite noisy. The metal casing on the SB seems to amplify the clicking a bit too.

Z2 - innofader mini 81db

Z2 - innofader pro 79db

Rane 56 - stock fader 80db

Vestax 08 - ProX 77db

Vestax 06 - stock fader 83db

Pioneer 707 - stock fader 81db

Skratchophone - OG innofader 73db

Sorry for the delayed response, kept forgetting to do the check until yesterday. I used a free noise level app on the iphone, I had no means to calibrate the app so the dB reading is probably off but I thought the side by side results would still be of interest

• Like 1

Z2 - innofader mini 81db

Z2 - innofader pro 79db

Vestax 08 - ProX 77db

Sorry for the delayed response, kept forgetting to do the check until yesterday. I used a free noise level app on the iphone, I had no means to calibrate the app so the dB reading is probably off but I thought the side by side results would still be of interest

surely this is a new low

• Like 1

Z2 - innofader mini 81db

Z2 - innofader pro 79db

Vestax 08 - ProX 77db

surely this is a new low

May I bring your attention to this thread? http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=34226