Battle DJing is the most pointless shit in the DJ world

Steve

Winning a battle may get you pussy

Yeah, that's one thing I love about the DJ battle scene. It's packed full of women.

As unbelievable as it may seem, IDA World finals actually was packed full of women. DMC World finals on the other hand...

hi DV,

PUB HERE

I both sides have a point. I know Steve was fishing for a discussion with the OP (and it worked so fair play) but for personally I'd rather see a DJ with limited skills break out great records, dropped at the right time, showing a good knowledge of music than a DJ with ridiculous scratching and juggling skills chop seven shades out of a played out or plain rubbish tune.

That was a long sentence.

It's like cooking: I'd rather be served quality ingredients, prepared in a simple way than be served over-fancified rubbish.

LOLZ Pub, you need to do a ma$ters in linguists to improve your sentences I think! Hehe

Hi WAsk on

pUB hERE

My arch enemy doppelkorn is doing one. He's having trouble with the stats because he's not very intelligent, IMO.

• Like 1

Guest loop skywalker

Winning a battle may get you pussy

Yeah, that's one thing I love about the DJ battle scene. It's packed full of women.

As unbelievable as it may seem, IDA World finals actually was packed full of women. DMC World finals on the other hand...

Aint no poontang party like an IDA poontang party :)

Battling needs to ditch the country based final. I want to see the best in the world on stage, even if that means that 3 of the top 10 are from a single country. My idea would be to still run the local live events and film them. From the top 3 of each country, put the videos in a single pot, have them all judged by a single set of world class judges to narrow the field to a final live event. I wouldn't put it to public vote. I would also insist on a different set between local and world events.

This would guarantee a killer final, and would drastically reduce the amount of people DMC would need to fly in to compete. I'm sure there are holes in this plan, but on the face of it, it could work really well.

skratching is a hobby of mine. it's a fantastic distraction. the experience is great. i love talking about it. i love talking/bitching about skratchers. i love hanging out with other skratchers. all in all i do it because i love it. that's the point. it's not pointless. it's a personal pursuit.

i'm sure it's the same for battling. given the amount of time you need to invest, you can't do that shit without loving it.

this is what a hobby is.

it's mine, and i don't pretend it's a hobby that works for everyone. trying to convince others to take up skratching—now that's pointless unless they already have an attraction to it.

• Like 2

good point there, yoshi. sometimes i feel like that in a way scratching 'ruined' me a bit in that i used to be so passionate about it, that now i'm not into it anymore, i don't know how to fill this hole scratching has left in my heart :(

all kidding aside tho, since i've lost scratching as hobby, I've never been as passionate about anything as i was about scratching. i always tried to learn new rhythms and techniques, wanted to meet other scratchers, the respect it got me from others was like ego-food for the narcicisstic soul and so on and so forth...

since i've lost scratching as a hobby, as pointless and stupid as it may ever be, i've never managed to replace it by anything else.. :|

(imagine a picture of a sad emo boy here)

• Like 1

I dont prioritise scratching over much else these days, hence why I haven't practiced much, but I still love scratching and nerding out. I guess my only complaint is the lack of wow factor these days. Even some people at the top of the game dont always seem amazing. I blame toadstyle. He needs to release the second album of wank material and life will be good again.

• Like 1

argument from authority fallacy ^

Perhaps that applies in a general sense to *some* people but I've witnesses/experienced enough specific examples that basically regurgitate what Steve said...I just agreed. We coo?

:d

we're cool real, im not taking a personal dig at you and i recon you're more than fit as an authority as 1 - youve put in more years than most 2 - you have skills 3 - you have more experience than most. it was mainly just said because even if someones an authority in something that doesnt validate an opinion or further a debate if said on its own, like if qbert said something like he invented a UFO because hes qbert and said so (kinda ridiculous example but i cant think of any others right now lol).

good point there, yoshi. sometimes i feel like that in a way scratching 'ruined' me a bit in that i used to be so passionate about it, that now i'm not into it anymore, i don't know how to fill this hole scratching has left in my heart :(

all kidding aside tho, since i've lost scratching as hobby, I've never been as passionate about anything as i was about scratching. i always tried to learn new rhythms and techniques, wanted to meet other scratchers, the respect it got me from others was like ego-food for the narcicisstic soul and so on and so forth...

since i've lost scratching as a hobby, as pointless and stupid as it may ever be, i've never managed to replace it by anything else.. :|

(imagine a picture of a sad emo boy here)

Solemn what exactly killed your passion for scratching? you were sick as fuck a few years back and then you seemed to just stop.. I remember when you first joined DV and posted some stuff up and mentioned how long youd been scratching for, it was a propper wake up call for me to put in more practice as id not heard someone that good before for the time you put in.

Ha, all good tho...ya I could have presented a proper case and all that but I agree with what you said. I'm just crotchety and old so I like to complain. :)

I think ultimately its not *completely* pointless but its a very small niche within the niche of dj'ing...and although 'steel sharpes steel' so to speak and competition is healthy for technical growth...I think the focus on being an 'artist' in competition ultimately detracts from the art of what we do.

Just my own opinion tho.

- V

we're cool real, im not taking a personal dig at you and i recon you're more than fit as an authority as youve put in more years than most, you have skills, and youve probably seen a lot. it was mainly said though because even if someones an authority in something that doesnt validate an opinion or further a debate if said on its own, like if qbert said something like he invented a UFO because hes qbert and said so (kinda ridiculous example but i cant think of any others right now lol).

i have more respect for battle DJs than for any other form of DJing because it takes the most practise and nerves to be on stage and showing all the skills you have in a matter of a few mins

i actually battled once on stage and became 4th...shit aint easy

DJs who claim to be DJs and all they do is uploading mixes on soundcloud or yt and not perform in the real world are the ones who bitch the most about the "active" Djs.

Ive done all sorts of things when it comes to performing live, with an MC, on radio, at clubs, in a Jazz band at Jazz festivals etc..etc..been there, done that..hell i even scratched at rave parties where nobody was into hiphop

Yeah mixing records isn't what dj's do.

We wanna hear a bloke scratch ahh for 9 hours solid.

Just mixing records/cds/mp3s is not really an artform..its not difficult to do if you have a little bit of rhythm in you

juggling, scratching, backspinning takes a little more practise, only a small percentage of DJs can do it right

The simple mixing stuff is mostly done by house/techno DJs who are only there to fill the dancefloors on very basic average 130bpm grooves...thats jolly nice but doesnt take much skills.

But on the other hand the basic stuff is what all DJs should learn first instead of jumping right into the more technical stuff...you can learn to mix in 1 day..juggling takes a few years

lol@learning to mix in one day.

But obviously you felt that battling was so important, you entered one battle, then spent the rest of your time doing other DJ-related things. ;)

Juggling is probably the most pointless aspect of battle DJing. At least you can do some cool stuff with scratching outside of that context. Most juggling sounds wank anyway.

not that i want to start a beef or anything, but most of waxdestroyer's views sound quite dated and frankly boring.

it like you talk with confidence without knowing all the facts. to dismiss mixing like that is naive as fuck imo.

• Like 1

Obviously scratching and juggling take longer, but there's only a tiny percentage who can do it with any kind of musicality any way so the amount of practice doesn't out weigh the benefits in most cases I don't think.

I think a DJ with good knowledge of music and who knows how to rock a dance floor would generally get a better response to a DJ who is technically really good but knows fuck all about playing the right song at the right time. A DJ who can do both would get an even better response. Then again, it all depends on the circumstance... But I've been in clubs with battle DJs doing their thing and heard people saying "why doesn't he just play the song" plenty of times.

lol@learning to mix in one day.

But obviously you felt that battling was so important, you entered one battle, then spent the rest of your time doing other DJ-related things. ;)

Juggling is probably the most pointless aspect of battle DJing. At least you can do some cool stuff with scratching outside of that context. Most juggling sounds wank anyway.

im not a battle DJ, never was...but having entered DMC 1 time i know exactly wat it takes to show all your skills on stage in a few mins...back in te 90s i was mostly a band DJ and also i worked with my MC.

Juggling can be a mess but when done right its pretty dope...Total Eclipse is prob the best but DJs like Unkut are doing crazy stuff as well.

yeah just mixing is pretty easy and doesnt aquire much talent..unless your mixing old tunes that where played without metronome

not that i want to start a beef or anything, but most of waxdestroyer's views sound quite dated and frankly boring.

it like you talk with confidence without knowing all the facts. to dismiss mixing like that is naive as fuck imo.

lol@your rage...feeling offended or something? dont you agree that just mixing doesnt take much skills?