Battle DJing is the most pointless shit in the DJ world

Steve

its not rage, im just pointing it out. and regarding mixing, like most things in life, it depends on what degree you're talking about. yeh staring at a laptop and watching waveforms isnt hard ,especially if like most people on here we started with just vinyl. But you cant ignore djs like Jeff Miles or Andy C just cos they arent doing any tablist tricks.

you make the same sweeping generalisations about technology, its 2013, not 1994. people mix and match skills/equipment and do what they enjoy the most part. Not everyone has the same goals or opinions.

dont get me wrong, if someone can only dj on a controller while staring at a screen i wont admire them or think as highly as someone who can do things by ear alone and just on techs. but at the same time as long as the little controllerist isnt giving it the big 'uns then why should i care. Especially if they're out there chasing gigs, which is something im not doing myself anyway.

lol@learning to mix in one day.

I knew someone who learned how to beatmatch in about 15 mins. He came round my house for a lesson, I explained and demonstrated the principles and after two or three goes he could do it. He had played drums for about 8 years so he so he had a good sense of timing. Obviously there are ways of developing mixing further from that - but he had all the important stuff like phrasing down etc because of transferable skills.

• Like 1

Mike - Post the mix that the dood made after 1 day of practice.

I think some of you folks are missing the point though. I don't give a shit how difficult battling is. That doesn't have any bearing on the statement posed in the thread title. You shouldn't be getting butthurt that I've dissed your skills - I haven't. Get butthurt cos I've said your skills are largely fucking pointless if they're only used in the context of DMC battles.

its not rage, im just pointing it out. and regarding mixing, like most things in life, it depends on what degree you're talking about. yeh staring at a laptop and watching waveforms isnt hard ,especially if like most people on here we started with just vinyl. But you cant ignore djs like Jeff Miles or Andy C just cos they arent doing any tablist tricks.

you make the same sweeping generalisations about technology, its 2013, not 1994. people mix and match skills/equipment and do what they enjoy the most part. Not everyone has the same goals or opinions.

dont get me wrong, if someone can only dj on a controller while staring at a screen i wont admire them or think as highly as someone who can do things by ear alone and just on techs. but at the same time as long as the little controllerist isnt giving it the big 'uns then why should i care. Especially if they're out there chasing gigs, which is something im not doing myself anyway.

You obviously didnt read my previous post in wich i said that DJs first need to learn the basic stuff before jumping into the more technical aspects

Im aware of DJs like Jeff Mills and Andy C but frankly these ppl bore the hell out of me so i wouldnt pay my money to see any of them.

Again the point is that mixing can be learned very fast if you have just a bit of rhythm and feeling for music inside of you..most of the time i still mix records just as a pure hobby but i know to juggle takes a lot more effort and skill...especially live...Cash Money, Jazzy Jeff still doing their thing all over the world and they could just mix without doing shit like an average Techno DJ but thats just too boring for my taste.

In the battle of who is best at trolling, I win.

Besides sav, you're too good for the battling game. You shouldn't be having to go around asking for votes because you're struggling to compete against some guy from Turkmenistan who can't juggle or scratch, but he's ahead of you only because his countrymen are all like "one of our guys is in it! All vote for him!". Why would you even entertain such a sausage-fest?

I think a DJ with good knowledge of music and who knows how to rock a dance floor would generally get a better response to a DJ who is technically really good but knows fuck all about playing the right song at the right time. A DJ who can do both would get an even better response.

Basically this!

Forgot to add that you got to dig for your own dj name samples though, that's the most important skill to learn as a dj.

no 2 skill- buy all the records from banquet records

no 3 skill- scratch in a nu metal band

no 4 skill- only ever play hiphop from 1979, even when you're in the aforementioned nu metal band

• Like 1

DMC only exists so Tony Prince can afford to take 2 holidays a year to Portugal to top up his tan. They're clearly not spending any of the sponsorship money on setting up the DJ equipment properly or a decent sound rig.

Mind you, DMC has boycotted DV ever since I told Sally not to spam the same thread across multiple forum sections and she got her knickers in a twist, telling me that this site has "always hated DMC!".

Just mixing records/cds/mp3s is not really an artform

I'm sure it's called Djing.

Hmmm DMC Disco Mix Club, People originally used to mix before they realised it was too easy and new born babies were learning to mix by 3 days old.

who said that mixing wasnt Djing?

The first DJ that actually scratched and backspinned at DMC was DJ Cheese in 1985, still wondering why he became a world champ? Cause he wasnt a pussy who didnt do shit but mixing records..the DJs that took chances they are the ones who belong in the Hall of fame..The ones who had the guts to take the mixibg a bit further than those Studio 54 disco jocks LMFAO!

DST,and Whiz Kid are one of the most important DJs in history, they where groundbreaking and did things that no other sheeple was doing.

Still just mixing music is not really an artform

Edited by waxdestroyer

Why didn't you put effort into battling, waxdestroyer? You seem to be defending something you've never really bothered with, despite being a DJ longer than most people on this site. Why didn't you put more effort into it? Cos you thought it was pointless, just like me?

Paris Hilton was just miming to a mix CD made by someone else. If she had you as a teacher though, she could have learned to be a master mixer in just 1 day, right? Then she could be rocking huge clubs with real skills, just like you are, minus the "huge clubs" bit.

Joking aside, there is most definetly an art to how a great DJ selects and mixes records. Anyone can learn how to beatmatch and phrase mix, but continuously developing an individual sound/style through digging and/or production takes dedication and knowing when and how to play/mix those songs isn't something you learn in a day.

Anyone, like Paris Hilton, can play top 40 songs, but their set would be disposable and unmemorable.

You can't be Mr Thing, Jrocc, Kutmah, Om Unit, Mr Dibbs etc etc overnight

• Like 1

Anyone, like Paris Hilton, can play top 40 songs, but their set would be disposable and unmemorable.

thats was my whole point, anyone can DJ nowadays...it doesnt require much skill like for instance learning how to play the piano..if you cant play the piano nobody will book you..if you cant DJ chances are you still get gigs..ive have seen many DJs who couldnt even mix and still they got paid..they couldnt synq 2 songs together.

So basically anybody can call himself a Dj but not anyone can be called a pianist.

thats was my whole point, anyone can DJ nowadays...it doesnt require much skill like for instance learning how to play the piano..if you cant play the piano nobody will book you..if you cant DJ chances are you still get gigs..ive have seen many DJs who couldnt even mix and still they got paid..they couldnt synq 2 songs together.

So basically anybody can call himself a Dj but not anyone can be called a pianist.

Yeah, but they're not going to be remembered in the long run as good DJs by a substantial amount of people, just like anyone can get learn some chords on guitar and get an open mic slot but substantially less are able to write decent material and gain recognition.

Seems There two distint types of dj'ing. Playing records back to back or using recorded material to create a new live experience. The two are different. The second type got called turntablism. Turntablism can be showcased within the traditional type of dj'ing or as a standalone live performance. Battling is one form of turntablism performance, but not the only one. So battling does have a point - its a format for live turntablism. So is it being live important and is turntablism relevant seems to be the real question ( ignoring the competative element of battling since we all know music is subjective and is difficult to score) ?

Lots of kids do young musician of the year and compete in a 'battle' of sorts (love watchin that on beeb2) - so is it the battle format thats an issue, or the relevance of the turntable as an intrument ?

How come there's all these DJs that can't mix when it only takes 1 day to learn it? Seems crazy. Almost like the "1 day" thing was a load of fucking bullshit, lol.

At least battle DJs are getting booked though. There's a high demand for what they do. There's showcases at the DMC battle and.........well, OK, so there's just that and nothing else.

In Young Musician of the Year, the people are performing songs they would perform anyway. It's not some sausage fest where pianists are doing body tricks and dissing the violin players. Nobody apart from Vekked would actually walk around listening to MP3s of battle sets. The DJs that are in it could be making music instead, or it could be a battle of turntable music - then it would be like the YMOTY competition.

Yeah, but they're not going to be remembered in the long run as good DJs by a substantial amount of people, just like anyone can get learn some chords on guitar and get an open mic slot but substantially less are able to write decent material and gain recognition.

thats why i mentioned a few legends in earlier posts...these DJs infuenced me big time to start this ish and they where doing more than just mixing 2 records together

thats why i mentioned a few legends in earlier posts...these DJs infuenced me big time to start this ish and they where doing more than just mixing 2 records together

as are the DJs Jimmy mentioned ^^

DJ Cheese entered and won one battle and then went on to do something else. Now he's posting up remixes of Chris Brown songs on SoundCloud.

The DMC used to carry some weight. You'd have edited highlights of it on the BBC. Cutmaster Swift was on Wogan after he won - the biggest prime time chat show on BBC1. Those days are long gone though, although Jeff does seem to think it's still the 1980s based on some of his posts, lol.

How come there's all these DJs that can't mix when it only takes 1 day to learn it? Seems crazy. Almost like the "1 day" thing was a load of fucking bullshit, lol.

At least battle DJs are getting booked though. There's a high demand for what they do. There's showcases at the DMC battle and.........well, OK, so there's just that and nothing else.

whats so hard about mixing not to being able to learn in 1 day??? its not like you are having to drive a car or fly a plane innit?

these DJs were not there to mix, just playing music song by song. So anybody in the world can DJ unless you are a retard or deaf and blind.