Thinking back, what could have you done differently, related to turntablism

Kian

After 11 years I would have cutted with right hand on the fader hamster style. Instead I have it opposite on both and can only want to study dstyles. But then again there was no youtube and no one sold VHS of turntable tv. So I did what ever felt comfortable

Hell yeah I regret it but I won't stop doing it that way though

I regret not buying a pair of 1200s back in the 80s. I used to cut on a modded BSR turntable in the 80s and I only stopped using that when I could no longer get replacement needles for it, which was probably around 1989 or 1990. That's when I knocked scratching/DJing on the head and I pretty much didn't do it at all for a decade, aside from very occasionally having a go on a mate's decks.

Another regret is not buying a multi-track recorder. Me and 2ndHand used to make scratch tracks by recording a beat on to a tape, playing that back and scratching over it while recording it, then playing that back and adding more scratching and so on. Because we were recording through the mic built into the tape player, the recordings sounded like dog shit. I once got offered a multi-track recorder pretty cheap, but I passed it up. Obviously this is before the days when everyone had PCs.

I wish I spent more time scratching than talking about scratching on the internet..... KIDDING

I wish I spent more time juggling and forced myself to analyse cuts more. I like the style I have but if I started understanding flares etc a lot earlier I reckon I'd be a lot better .

Learned to play guitar instead. Got more pussy.

Real talk....

Spent a lot of time doing transform type stuff on the left deck, chirp based stuff on the right. Could have had more faith in my abilities and worked harder. Although for a few years I was cutting on my own and just had access to tapes. Wasn't till I hooked up with other guys later that I fixed up.

Maybe not got so despondent with being shit on the cut. Oh and I would have done loads better when I entered DMC in 2000.... I would have much preferred to win rather than embarrass myself in the qualifier.

I'd have learned to mix first, focus on flares not crabs (I couldn't grasp what people were doing when flaring tho and there wasn't really tutorials yet), and taught myself to Backspin proper instead of spinning a finger around the label.

Wish I would have left battling sooner but asides from that maybe that I would have invested in serato or pressing my own records for shows...but hey I'm doing that now and in the meantime I already rounded out my skills in other areas...so I guess I'm fairly content.

I wish that I would've won the 2013 DMC.

yeah that was a pity,

i'm glad sparky T made the comeback though, he's actually a lovely guy...

completely deserved the victory...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest petesasqwax

I would have spent less time stoned/drunk

This. I quit smoking (everything) in January and have seen a marked improvement in pretty much everything else. I've not actually done much (if any) cutting since then, but I'll fix that tonight. My ability to get things actually finished has improved no end