Simon Cowell judgements on people who scratch

ericuk

I've liked "scratch videos" on facebook and videos are often posted of unknown and known scratch dj's.

I usually decide if I'm going to be impressed now within less than 10 seconds.

By impressed, I don't mean that I think they aren't good if they fail to impress me, but I guess it stems from my own desire to get away from what I can only describe as 'bog standard' style cuts.

I think there is a NORM of what many scratch DJ's sound like. It's hard to describe, but I would say there are many people with generic sounding cuts. That said, I do acknowledge that this generic style is slowly evolving though.

Im not slating these guys at all, but this is what I would class as 'generic' cuts:

They're clean and tight etc, but I don't get excited.

Am I a cunt or can anyone see where I'm coming from?

• Like 1

I'm with you 100%. There's loads of DJs that are highly skilled at scratching, all cutting up the same samples in the same way - it might as well be the same bloke doing it. Over time, that particular sound just gets boring, like hearing lots of guitar players all playing the same sounding riffs and solos.

I like listening to DJs who combine old and new techniques and have some "funk", which I know is hard to quantify. D-Styles would be one example. Chile is another. Both of those guys also do combos that you don't hear other DJs do (or you might later on when people copy them).

It's largely a matter of opinion too of course. For instance, I prefer listening to old school Qbert to new school when it comes to scratching because I don't like the way his style has evolved. He's clearly one of the top few doods on the planet, but I just don't enjoy his cuts much in 2012.

I agree with you as well. Some peoples scratches just sound boring and plain (like mine for example). But there is a file chilie posted with just chirps and transforms that sounds so damn dope i know I will never be able to do that my self.

Chili is on the complete other end of the spectrum. Even when he explains what he's doing, I still have no clue!

Skill isn't at question here, but more how people execute the scratches is what makes the great stand out from the good. :-)

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

you can often tell if someone learned from DIY skratching. Im not gonna lie and say i havent watched and learned from it, but some scratchers are just templates of that DVD!

I think there are 2 type of styles that get the most attention.

1. aggressive, fast, super technical cutting that is hard to replicate.

2. medium tempo stylistic scratching with phrasing and attention paid to pitching the notes.

I try to aim for the 2nd option but it's very easy to fall back on generic "pocket" cuts

guy on right can clearly skratch both hands but both handed sounded like shit. more respect if you actually sound good just one hand.

guy on left is all fast tempo with repetitiveness. no style, its like playing the same piano key over and over fast can you possibly can when clearly there are other notes you can press on the piano.

the juggles suck, the breakdown is weak, this shit was done in the 80s and juggling has advance way beyond that. you learn to do that hours into beginning juggling.

I agree that this is the generic shit put people who dont know the real deal and thinks its mad hard to do and get props from TI or rihanna fans.

all i listen to is 8 bars, once the 32nd beat is over you already know the when to turn to new video, this clearly was one of them.

so i completely agree that this low end skill to speak of is the generic bar thats set high because a lot of their audience are people who dontknow shit about real skratch techniques and juggling.

Sheeet I've been away from scratching for like 5 years, and most of it still sounds the same. So far, to me, it looks like scratching peaked back in '06.

And don't get me started on the DMC... that shit peaked in 2003. :p

My 1st SSS was a big wake up call for me, since then I've been trying to drag my cuts out of the 90's. Got fair bit of work to get my new shit tight but thanks to DV and SSS I've learnt/progressed more in the last 8months than the last 3 years.

Would I be right to say 85% of scratchers do the same moves but with different flows? I attempt to avoid the generic thing by trying to perfect unique combos. But when I'm playing out I end up turning in to a bloody chirp transform flair machine.

This video is just hip hop scratching. People have been doing it for years. It works in a club and sounds cool on a hip hop track. It sounds good for 10 seconds but I don't wanna listen to 20 mins of it.

^^^sharon ozbourne hits the nail on the head there.

Edited by Dubba Dutchdj

Intersting. I think to develop your own style you first need to learn the basics. These guys definitely have the basics down, super clean and what not, but no additional funk added. Once you can cleanly do all the basics, you need to step out your comfort zone, i think,....... maybe........ i'm trying to figure it out myself.

i think its alot more important getting a style & flow down before new combos.

i think quite alot of the time djs forget its about how it sounds, not how complex or what the ttm code looks like.

& without wanting to sound like a hippy, people should feel the beat and be more in tune with their cuts.