Traktor Kontrol Z2 mixer

Steve

I've never understood how people wear facelplates so much! After I would guess 1200+ hours on an 06 it was starting to look a little bit second hand, but I see people burn em to nothing in weeks... Must be my stupid fader grip.

I'm clearly a knuckle dragger!

This is the exception to the rule though - my old 06 and 707 each took about 4-5 years to wear through the anodised finish/paint. You could sit down and scratch the lines off this in ten mins with your fingernails, if you wanted to.

I've never understood how people wear facelplates so much! After I would guess 1200+ hours on an 06 it was starting to look a little bit second hand, but I see people burn em to nothing in weeks... Must be my stupid fader grip.

You should see the state of my sa5. 8 years old mind.

I got a reply back about the Mini Innofaders.

Regarding modding the tension, I was told not to try it as it's "pretty damn complicated and not recommended", and regarding buying spares, they're "aiming for a 2013 release for retail". Hopefully that means "early 2013", cos it could mean they're still a year away.

Yeah let's hope sooner rather than later. I assume that once you've got a replacement you'll be cracking open the stiff ones to be the judge on just how complicated it is? I will.

On the matter on Innofader - 3 1/2 weeks ago I asked if I could fit a innofader PNP or if it had to be the pro on their Facebook page... DJ Philly said he'd get back to me, but three weeks later still nothing. So a few days back I asked again and still nothing.

I think I will just sell the line faders on eBay rather than crack them open. I would crack them open and try it if someone else did it first and said "it's actually not that hard", but that would as an alternative to buying replacements. I hope they're reasonably priced, cos I'll be pissed off if they're £100 each.

I'll see what I can find out about the PNP thing.

On the matter on Innofader - 3 1/2 weeks ago I asked if I could fit a innofader PNP or if it had to be the pro on their Facebook page... DJ Philly said he'd get back to me, but three weeks later still nothing. So a few days back I asked again and still nothing.

I finally got an answer to this. It will work as the crossfader or line fader and apparently it is the recommended Innofader for the Z2.

http://www.innofader.com/mixers.php?id=138

• 2 weeks later...

Innofader PNP now fitted. Couldn't have been an easier install, infinitely tweakable without any drama too.

I had no problems with the mini version, in fact I'm a big fan but the full fat version is definitely that bit sweeter feeling, with adjustable lag and unlike the mini and other full Innos I've known in the past, it's cut-in and cut-out points are exactly the same.

Overall, it just turns I mixer I already love and really rate into an absolute beast. All the serious scratchers out there on the interweb still umming and ahhing about wether to get a Z2 need to stop pontificating and buy one!.. All quality control issues with the original faders are apparently now sorted and if they still aren't up to snuff by your standards, just get an Inno PNP like did (the Z2's already a bargain and my PNP only cost me £88 + P&P from templeofdeejays.com so its still looking like some serious value to me).

unlike the mini and other full Innos I've known in the past, it's cut-in and cut-out points are exactly the same.

Thats interesting (bastard!), is that in both Traktor and thru mode? side note - Matt actually has a special ruler for measuring cut lag.

I had a nice surprise the other week when trying to record vinyl using the Z2, putting a deck into live input mode equals fx on normal vinyl, I should of realised this earlier! Having an audio source going thru the software will add a tiny bit of latency but you struggle notice any. Fx on real vinyl and fitting a Pro Inno has instantly promoted the Z2 in to my main setup.

Traktor needs a decent update now, I've started to get stuck into mapping some handy features and its generally resulted in at least one "reset to default" a week.

• 1 month later...

I can't even be bothered to fill out a ticket - whatever the supposed fix is, I don't think that it will last that long either.

What NI should have done is taken a leaf out of Rane and 12inchskinz book and made the top layer of the faceplate a tough, matte finish plastic (Lexan, etc).

I'm gonna wait until the inevitable 12inchskinz Z2 skin comes out and use the opportunity to lose the glossy black finish in the process.