Traktor Kontrol Z2 mixer

Steve

Steve - sorry for the slow response (on here and FB), had quite a hectic weekend.

Crossfader isn't bad at all. Tension-wise, it's totally free-moving but with just enough tension to stay where you put it. Not crazy loose like my infinium in my D.2, which is what I was most used to, but perfectly acceptable when jumping straight on it for the first time. It was a tiny bit stiffer straight out the box brand new, but now it's had a few hours use and it's bedded in, I really like it.

The lag is good too - somewhere around 1-1.5mm. Using it in direct comparison with my 56 and D.2, they all feel pretty similar in terms of lag.

Perhaps being ultra critical, the Z2 fader doesn't quite have the same high quality feel of the other mixer's faders, or the full fat inno. But there's really not much in it, and it's way better than any other short-bodied fader I've ever tried.

When I was setting up and testing levels yesterday, going between the Z2, D.2, 56 and Paul's 08 fitted with an innofader pro, all felt pretty similar. I could happily cut on all of them without making any great adjustments. None of them felt like the poor-man's option, that I was just making do with.

As I said before, the upfaders are stupidly stiff and I don't see what the problem would have been with using the low-tension version, like the crossfader.

• Like 1

Thanks man. I think I'm gonna get one, then do what you're planning on doing - 2 "loose" mini-Innofaders for line faders and a full fat Innofader for the crossfader. I might even be a cheeky bugger and ask Elliot Marx if he'll swap me a stiff mini-Innofader for a loose one, or let me do a trade in type thing at a discount. Fuck stiff faders!

I wonder if there's any way to crack open the mini-Innofaders and turn a stiff one into a loose one. There must be something in there that dictates the tension, so there has to be some DIY method of adjusting it.

FUCKING CUNTS!

i just wrote a lovely long reply about my thoughts and feelings that i really hoped would help you out steve and i just pressed back my mistake

FML!!!!!!

in short i liked it.

im now going to hang myself. i fucking forgot how frustrating it is when that happens.

*Cough* the Sixty Two is sick too *Cough*

I totally agree - the 62 is the ultimate DVS battle mixer and I'd love one. In many areas it is obviously light years ahead of the Z2. But... £1800 is way out of my reaches and this mixer only cost me 629. For the money, you get maybe 60-70% of a 62 for just over the 3rd of the price - depends a bit on your needs overall, I guess.

Steve - I was wondering that too with the upfaders. There must be something in there that could be removed to get rid of the tension, even if it is a bit of a DIY mod. The innofader site says that the minis still work on some sort of capacitor technology and have a recalibrate button, so they're obviously built to a half decent standard. If only they were free-moving like the crossfader, they would suit me perfectly for ups. Like all NI stuff there is a sticker you have to break to get inside which voids the warranty and I'm not brave enough to crack it yet. Gizmo did say on djworx that he would be opening his up to put a full inno in the crossfader - maybe he could take a look at the ups too?

Ultimately, you have to approach this mixer as an all-round two channel mixer that you can cut on, rather than a hardcore battle mixer. Much of the appeal of this mixer is the stuff other than the faders - which so far, have exceeded my expectations.

So it it turns out that for the second time in my life, I'm completely wrong!

Top plate is a magnet with this underneath...

I've had the up fader out and it's completely sealed unit - the only way in would mean bending the little metal tabs that curl around the circuit board (not doing that yet). Can't even see how the tension is applied... hopefully free-moving replacements aren't too expensive.

Had a brief play on Sunday. With vinyl it's just as good for cutting as any pro mixer . For someone thats been quite phobic until recently about using different mixers I found I was able to cut straight away. With dvs it was a little harder to cut straight away and the timing seemed to change a bit. Comparing against serato my gut says serato feels better, but I've only ever used serato up until yesterday, so I don't think I'm in a good place to compare. One thing I liked was the quality of the cue buttons, felt much more sturdy than the new 05 buttons, more like shallower press dicer buttons. however some othrr important buttons looked a lil sketchy e.g. having the headphone monitor select switch as a digital push, rather than switch, buttons that need downforce tend to break and that's a pretty crucial one - would be interested to see the inside and see what's on the board to see if stuff is replaceable.

Rockwell spelt it out though, it covers a lot of ground that the 62 does at a fraction of the price. I can see this ticking the box for a lot of dj's.

Yeah, time will tell on the build of some of the details on this mixer... part of me doesn't really expect it all to still be going strong in 10 years time, although I'm not gonna be using mine playing gigs every weekend or anything like that and NI will have probably replaced twice over by then! Nothing seems scarily cheap straight out the box, but you know it's been built to a price point... and this is the first attempt at building a mixer by a company with only a few years experience of building hardware.

Don't know how it compares to serato either I'm afraid mate... last time I used serato was for a few mins about 5 years ago. I think it's the tightest I ever felt traktor and the other traktor using djs I know seem to agree. But none of us have any experience of serato, only older versions of traktor. Maybe serato is just a bit tighter or maybe the two have a different feel that takes time to get used to? Not sure.

Guest Symatic

i didnt try it with dvs but it was nice for cutting with records. the upfaders are a little stiff but for mixing that would be kinda nice.

rockwell mentioned earlier that pauls 08 has an inno? if thats the case im fuckin getting one cos i loved cutting on that mixer with the 3000's.

I just left mine in this room on Sunday, walked away for a few hours, came back and she was all nicely broken in - elves I guess?

Actually, needed or not, if I had an innofader pro in my sweaty hands, I could never bring myself to return it.

That thing you posted about the calibration was interesting - mine straight out of the box feels more like the lag distance he refers to after recalibration, but whatever it is, its fine for me so I'm gonna leave it well alone. Good to know that this can be done... and it all points to those faders being more pro than I first gave them credit for.