Traktor Kontrol Z2 mixer

Steve

Read this whole thread. Never used DVS but have been wanting to give it a try ontop of my regular vinyl, and I think I'm sold on this mixer if you guys are confirming it's all good to scratch on, I think i'll be able to live with stiff line faders.

I know most people use laptops to run the software and everything but is there really any negative to using a desktop computer for a DVS setup besides lack of any mobility what so ever that I'm not thinking of?

Edit: And if someone could just elaborate on control vinyl. "A special 'scroll track' allows you to select your next tune using only the turntable- with no need to touch your computer."

Does this feature work well? Choosing tracks right on the turntable sounds really awesome.

Edited by MIGVELAZ

The crossfader is great IMO - really nice for both mixing and scratching. The line faders are fine for mixing, but shite for scratching due to the stiffness and lack of curve control. As long as you're aware of its shortcomings in that area, you'll be alright.

I've always used a desktop to run my DVS software (Torq, Serato and Traktor) and as long as your machine meets (and preferably exceeds) the requirements for running Traktor you should be fine.

Regarding the scroll track feature, there's a dedicated section on the vinyl where you can drop the needle. Once the needle is in that area, you can move the record back and forth to scroll up and down your tracks, then when you stop moving the record the currently highlighted track is loaded to the deck. It works fine, although if you get a Z2 it also has a dedicated knob and 2 buttons for doing the same thing - twist the knob left and right to scroll up and down your tracks and press either the A or B button under the knob to load the highlighted track to the left or right deck. You can also press the knob itself to switch views and you can press the Shift key on the mixer and turn the knob to navigate folders and sub-folders. You can also use the Shift button along with the A or B buttons to duplicate a track, so for instance if a track is playing on the left deck (A) and you press Shift + B, that track will then be duplicated on the right deck. This will also duplicate any loops and cue points you've set up for that track.

Basically, once you've got Traktor and all of your tracks set up properly (tracks tagged, gridded, cue points set etc.) then you can do pretty much anything you will ever want to do while you're actually DJing directly from a control on the mixer. You can also re-map the controls if you want to. It makes DJing with a DVS so much better, especially if you're currently using a desktop PC (as I am), because you never have to reach for the mouse or keyboard.

Right now I have a regular mixer and Audio 8 DJ and Z2 looks like a good replacement, however there are couple of things that bothering me.

When I record my sounds I'm using send channel of my mixer for record input so I can hear the beat comes from my mixer and record only one channel. Can I do that with Z2?

When I practicing I'm using one channel from my Audio 8 for loopers and phono input for my turntable. Can I use one of Z2 channel as digital output and second as a phono?

Thanks.

Picked mine up today on a whim, fucking love it!

Huge upgrade, never knew DVS was so cool, finally glad they started making all in ones so I didn't have to buy the software and stuff seperate. I tried playing with vinyl but the xfader was not working as well as dvs. I dunno why I'm sure I will figure it out. To busy cutting with my new badass mixer! I have never used a good xfader it's finally good to know what it feels like, and I'm pretty sure you can tweak it in the software? I'll have to check the manual!

Peace guys! I basically bought this after reading this thread/a little bit of research so thank you!

Glad you like it and that we were of some help.

I've gotta say, the more I use mine, the more I love it too. Not sure what's up with you're fader, although I think mine is possibly a little crisper when cutting with DVS... so maybe it's just that? Remember that when you're using this mixer in Traktor mode, it just becomes a controller cutting the sound within the software. If your cut-in point is different between using DVS and real vinyl, the fader might need a recalibration using the button on the bottom of the fader itself? But if the cut-in happens at the same point, but it just feels a bit sharper when it does, then it's possibly just the difference between the faders own analogue cut and the cut inside the software. In fact, the other night I was pulling off better chirps with DVS than regular vinyl... and I'd never thought I'd ever say that!

I hope they start selling spare faders for this mixer soon. I really want to replace the line faders. Audio Innovate are fucking wank - they never answer emails - and Native Instruments don't seem to want to say anything about this either.

It's annoying seeing comments from house DJs on forums saying "I love the stiffness of the line faders and they're all I use as I have the crossfader disabled" - swap your crossfader for one of my line faders then you fucker! :p

I FB messaged Audio Innovate on the matter of replacing the ups with looser versions and wether the Inno PNP would work as well as the Pro...

Philip Le (DJ Philly) did get back to me after a week to say that they had no idea when mini-innos would be sold separately and that he'd check on the PNP... but nothing for the last week and a half.

I think it's partly just how it goes with little companies. Also, I take it you've seen on forums and facebook that there's been a few quality control issues with fader cut-in so far - I'm guessing that this could be keeping Elliot quite busy at the minute. Either way, I don't think they'll commit to selling 3rd party until any OEM issues have been resolved.

I've had heaps of contact w/ Audio Innovate. Up until about 6 months ago I'd usually get a response within 24 hours on any issue, and often get live support via skype and such, but the last few times I've contacted them it's been much slower... Also before I always used to get in touch w/ Elliott no matter where I tried to contact but now it seems like I get diff ppl and only get Elliott if I contact him directly, so seems like he maybe has other people running customer support and such now.

I emailed them asking if they could link me to some fitting instructions for an Innofader Pro in a Z2 - no reply. Then I emailed them asking if they could sell me a spare Mini Innofader as I wanted to buy a loose one and if not, could they let me know when they would be available - again, no reply.

Infinium faders are shite, Jimmy.

Some people have had issues with the paint/graphics rubbing off the faceplate, which obviously happens over time with mixers, but not this fast! If this happens to yours, apparently NI are going to send out replacement faceplates to anyone that contacts them about this issue.

And supposedly, turning the mixer off and then turning it back on while these buttons are held down will reset the crossfader if it's bleeding on one side due to bad calibration: -

FX 2 A + FX 2 B + Cue A

apparently NI are going to send out replacement faceplates to anyone that contacts them about this issue.

Considering how many they could end up replacing that's a bold statement by NI, fair play to them if they do but unless they re think the manufacturing process the same thing will happen. It's a highly polished shiny piece of metal, the only way markings will stay put on that is either cover it in clear plastic ala rane style or have the markings engraved.

Have you contacted NI about that, or are you not bothered?

I can't say I'm that bothered. I would rather it didn't wear off, but it's not like it's important. If they're giving out new faceplates that are more resilient (and as Paul mentioned above - I'm also dubious about that), then I'll take one though!

Couldn't give a monkey's... might ask for a free one if there was a chance of one day selling it on ebay, I suppose.

Since that last pic was taken, it's now all gone (and looks all right for it). I also doubt that a replacement will be any better - NI did mumble something about a manufacturing glitch that made it wear off... more likely paint doesn't want to stick to a gloss finish surface (as Paul also pointed out yesterday - he's got one too now).