Traktor Kontrol Z2 mixer

Steve

a long rca wouldn't do anything unless it's about 50 miles - electricity moves at almost the speed of light...

I stand corrected. Well I've been on a setup in which something caused a minimal but noticeable delay but it was something other than RCAs... that was what we uneducatedly deduced that it must have been but we didn't actually figure out why 1 setup was lagging, just didn't use it anymore.

My guess is that Elliot is talking about something that probably only exists in scientific data and that won't be noticeable in the real world... I might be wrong, but that's my guess.

Actually, cutting on both traktor with an analogue mixer and with a midi controller in the past, I've found that the midi controller option felt tighter - I guess because minute latency was inherent in both the record and the fader so the two felt more in sync. Paul knows far more about this than I do and hopefully will chime in on this one.

Just a guess, but I reckon Elliot may end up wishing he'd never even mentioned it.

I dunno man. If that's the case, why say this?.....

The Innofader is slightly faster when the Z2 is being used as an analog mixer because the analog audio and crossfader signals don’t need to be routed through the computer. The delays are small – on the order of a few milliseconds at most – so the guys who would notice such a thing are hardcore scratchers.

If nobody would notice, he would have been better off saying nothing as it's doing neither his company nor Native Instruments any favours. I appreciate his honesty, but he does say "so the guys who would notice such a thing are hardcore scratchers".

Out of interest is is the feeling of nylon shafts or the longevity that people are worried about on the pots?

Although I never had one myself, a couple of mates had X1s. After a couple of years of use, the well used pots felt loose with a nasty grainy feeling. Admittedly, they never stopped working and may have kept on going for years, albeit with little or inconsistent resistance as you turned them.

My other concern with them would be if they took a knock, surely would they snap more easily?

I'm gonna reserve judgement on this latency thing until I've tried it for myself.

When maschine came out there was lot talk among MPC users (including myself), about how it would never feel like the real thing. Then a few weeks later I tried it for myself, loved it, bought one the next week and have been happy ever since.

Hey, heres a question. If I bought that mixer does it come with Traktor (like the Rane SL mixers do for Serato) or do you have to buy something else too (either audio interface or program)? If you get Traktor with the mixer it seems like a pretty amazing deal.

You still liking Traktor, Steve?

Not really. lol.

Unless you need features that only Traktor offers I would just stick with Serato. My main gripes with Traktor are: -

1. Bit buggy and will mess up your tags in certain circumstances

2. Fucking shite when scratching with key lock on

3. The auto-BPMing of tracks is wank

4. It's not well optimised as doing certain things will cane the resources on my PC, which should never happen

3 is more of an issue if you're not playing EDM. It seems to work great with tracks that have a steady, pumping beat like a heartbeat. For funk or soul though, it is fucking useless. Serato was much better and the only real issue I had there was BPMs sometimes being double what they should be, but that was dead easy to fix.

Not really. lol.

Unless you need features that only Traktor offers I would just stick with Serato. My main gripes with Traktor are: -

1. Bit buggy and will mess up your tags in certain circumstances

2. Fucking shite when scratching with key lock on

3. The auto-BPMing of tracks is wank

4. It's not well optimised as doing certain things will cane the resources on my PC, which should never happen

3 is more of an issue if you're not playing EDM. It seems to work great with tracks that have a steady, pumping beat like a heartbeat. For funk or soul though, it is fucking useless. Serato was much better and the only real issue I had there was BPMs sometimes being double what they should be, but that was dead easy to fix.

Ha! Good to know. It is crazy tempting but I'll prob just stick with Serato.

• 2 weeks later...

Has your Z2 been despatched from wherever you ordered it from, Rock Well? I see it's in stock at decks.co.uk.

Yeah, I pre-ordered from them earlier this week and got a phone call today to say it was in stock and will be delivered to me tomorrow :)

Assuming that the courier doesn't fuck it all up for me (as they have been known to do in the past), I should be a very happy boy tomorrow... and this Sunday we've got a bunch of scratch gays descending on our place who will no doubt have their own opinions to add!

You'll have to queue behind the velvet rope with all the other punters tomorrow to find that out!

Really pleased with it so far. Still got stuff to learn but I really like using Traktor with hardware controls on the mixer (as I'm sure you do with your 57). The upfaders are too stiff but I'm gonna be doing some fader pimping at some point. The scratching with DVS is the best I've ever used... definitely slightly tighter with Z2 and new MK2 timecode than my previous setup with analogue mixer, Audio 10 and Mk1 vinyl - which I didn't really have any major complaints with as it was. It plays nice with maschine for routings, etc... and there are a lot of the rumours about the two products becoming much more integrated in the future. I'm hoping anyway. Even as things stand, I think it was worth the money and definitely the right choice for my needs.