DMC Online Finals Vids

Vekked

I find it really hard to get good/honest feedback on routines. People usually fall into 2 categories:

a) tell me it's dope almost regardless which doesn't help me much because I know their standards are lower than my own/doesn't give me anything to work on... which shouldn't be the case unless the routine's perfect.

b) I get people who tell me stuff that's wrong with my routines but it's pretty obvious stuff's going over their head, ex. someone tells me a certain juggle pattern is played out when they can't reference a single routine that does the same stuff. It's completely fine and constructive to comment on the sound/funkiness/flow of a routine if you don't know much about technique... sometimes friends who are just musicians give me the best feedback.

/rant.

If I ever fall into either of those categories when you show me routines, do follow it up with more direct questions, I always want to be as helpful as possible. I don't always know the answer granted ;)

Fong Fong's almost looks like it's being mimed. There are certain samples that play over the top of his juggles/cuts that seem like they were added afterwards, based on what he's doing with the records and fader at the time. I'm sure it's just very heavily pre-planned/laid out though.

Hello DV People ,

Just to say, nothing is mimed ( sound or video are not really synchro on youtube ) and nothing are added afterwards on my routine !

Hope you ll see one day live on stage ;)

Fong Fong

Gunshot at the end, neither record is playing.

yes the gun shot at the end !

Caught ya ;)

If I ever fall into either of those categories when you show me routines, do follow it up with more direct questions, I always want to be as helpful as possible. I don't always know the answer granted ;)

Haha, no, most ppl who fall into these categories I don't go to for feedback anymore.

If anyone reads my comments here and knows me well outside of the forum and thinks I'm being uncharacteristically positive here let me explain:

I'm a very competitive person and am more than a bit obsessed with self-progress. However, I'm an extremely self critical person and need to have self belief that I'm producing work of a high standard to present it publically, hence why I rarely post beats or scratch files. I look for weaknesses in opponents as a way of giving myself confidence when I compare my own routines to theirs. I also apply the same critical analysis to my own work and if I know someone is better than me, I want to strive to be better to win or at least to show that I'm of an equal calibre. While I may say certain things like 'so and so is too repetitive' or 'so and so doesn't juggle enough', it's usually because I can see something that if they fix will make them a really strong opponent, and serves to me as a way of analyzing my opponents and boosting my confidence if I know I can do a certain technique better etc. In all cases I respect the amount of time people dedicate to creating their routines as well as all the positive elements in their routines. This critical nature I've developed is one of the main reasons I'm not wanting to battle in the near future, because I think it brings out an ugly character trait in me. While I think everyone should strive to be their absolute best, constantly comparing myself to other people isn't healthy. This coupled with the insular nature of the battle scene and the limitations of connection it can have is what is making me think I want a break from it. Without sounding like a hippie I want to be able to explore all the other emotions music can make you and your audience experience for a while, rather than just pushing for technical superiority.

</ >

There are constructive ways to tell a busta he has no skills (not that I would know much about that).

THIS. The Vekked grading system is really useful in my opinion, but if it was flipped around so that negative comments were presented as constructive room for improvement a lot of people may find they can benefit from it. E.g. "Your cuts are incredible levels of weaksauce" could be rephrased as "you've got good chirps but you use them too much and you should maybe try and work transforms and drags in there too: focus on them for a while, then try and implement your progress into your next routine"

(That's not a dig at the Vekked Grading System btw as I think your negative criticism is really honest and constructive if read in the way detailed above, it's the first thing that came to mind. I love the V.G.S. tonnes!)

EDIT: Jon beat me to it, lol

Best routine so far imo. Horn cuts are fresh, fav part of anyones routine at this point. Cuts are clean but not feeling the routines, pretty over-used sounds and such. Juggling was quite average. Ended with the weakest part of his routine tho.

I think 1:15-2:30 is quite dope but the rest of the routine is like a level below that.

Better/cleaner than a lot of his stuff for sure. Some of his juggles made absolutely no sense though, like 4:12-4:58 is just garbage, like his stuff isn't even falling on beat whatsoever.

Jeppa just posted his set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtila2avO1Y

Maybe the most skilled overall so far but a lot of his routines were kinda uninspired... he can actually juggle and cut tho which is rare these days.

EDIT:

I really wish they stopped allowing sets with multiple angles. It just opens people up to being able to multitrack super easy without anyone knowing... I could care less about most other video effects but that's the least fair. Gotta have a least 1 steady angle throughout.

Watched a bunch of Jeppa sets, he seems really good overall. A lot of his routines are kinda meh, like I don't like the stuff he's using but I can't deny that he can both cut and juggle, I wouldn't be that happy if I had to battle him. His cuts remind me a lot of Dopey's, a lot of crabs/1 clicks but they're really clean. If he spent more time on routines/trying new ideas and threw out Audiocide (seriously any sample that's a really clear Audiocide sample should just be avoided like the plague in 2012) I think he'd be a pretty big force.

I really wish they stopped allowing sets with multiple angles. It just opens people up to being able to multitrack super easy without anyone knowing... I could care less about most other video effects but that's the least fair. Gotta have a least 1 steady angle throughout.

I'm sure that's in the rules somewhere. Not that they'll enforce it.

Rasp has submitted a different set, featuring one of his older routines from last year instead. The end of this new set is the same as the end of his online final routine from last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qGAHC8-4Qtg

There's def more going on in terms of combining controllers and scratching in this new vid for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOVHga1MewA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMZKktM0I8w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qgBFN5Jg_8

^ If you put Furious P in between Ruftone and Asian Hawk this was the top 4 of the UK Final this year. I think everyone's sets in the online are more or less the same sets they did at the UK Final.

PS- if anyone has any constructive criticism for my set I'd really really appreciate it and have started a separate thread for that here. This along with my Supremacy routines was the result of around 5 months work for me and I'd like to see where people think I can improve. I really want to just progress and develop my current style and avoid having to go down the edited juggle route if possible. Learning some more tech cuts might be a good step. I learned chirp flares and variations on them this year and really enjoy using them now.

richies was good, i liked that alot.

wow asian hawk is fucking shit.

jon you were ok, it didnt do much for me to be honest but that just comes down

to my musical tastes i think.also i didnt like the last thing you where doing with your laptop.

props tho bruv.