DMC Online Finals Vids

Vekked

There are too many doing too little and the whole culture is being coated in cotton wool into this shitty thing where people expect to be clapped for taking part. sometimes getting your feelings hurt is a productive experience.

I don't think the entrants should be knocked for taking part and not being at a decent level. I think the problem is not that there are weaker entries in the competition, but that they are being placed on pedestals as winners and World Online finalists. The competition rules need to change.

There are too many doing too little and the whole culture is being coated in cotton wool into this shitty thing where people expect to be clapped for taking part. sometimes getting your feelings hurt is a productive experience.

I think it's more the competition rules need to change. I don't think the entrants should be knocked for taking part and not being at a decent level. I think the problem is not that there are weaker entries in the competition, but that they are being placed on pedestals as winners and World Online finalists.

I'm torn, to be honest. I don't necessarily think that you deserve to be booed off stage if you're crap, but on the other hand a tougher environment would weed out the DJ Hero crowd and increase the generally accepted skill level. The competition is obviously at fault for creating these pedestals, as you say; there's no way that Facebook votes should count for anything, at all, but if you're not careful the entire culture will turn into one where nobody tells anyone else to fix up because there's this big 'everyone's crap so nobody talks about it' elephant in the room.

i think people just voted for pedro fernandes to "carrie" him... and i think he put his video on vimeo so no one would see it.

I'm torn, to be honest. I don't necessarily think that you deserve to be booed off stage if you're crap, but on the other hand a tougher environment would weed out the DJ Hero crowd and increase the generally accepted skill level. The competition is obviously at fault for creating these pedestals, as you say; there's no way that Facebook votes should count for anything, at all, but if you're not careful the entire culture will turn into one where nobody tells anyone else to fix up because there's this big 'everyone's crap so nobody talks about it' elephant in the room.

I think you're being way harsh, Chris. For me, whether I rip someone a new asshole or not comes down to what they're saying about their own scratching/set/mix/routine and I've not seen any of these guys comment on their own routines. Yes, voting via Facebook/Twitter etc. is bullshit, but aside from that Portuguese fella (no offence, Profail :p) I haven't seen any routines in this entire comp that are much better than the ones posted here. What good would it do to say "compared to other routines I've seen at other times in various other comps, you're shit mate!"?

The top tier DJs don't give a fuck about DMC. No disrespect to the people in it now, but you all know that if Tigerstyle, Muzzell, Woody, Craze, Rafik et al entered you'd get hammered. I don't see how being extra cuntish to the DJs that do bother to enter can help get the comp back on track.

For me, whether I rip someone a new asshole or not comes down to what they're saying about their own scratching/set/mix/routines

Welll..... so only when you're stone cold then? Because I think we've all seen some assertions here and there ;)

What good would it do to say "compared to other routines I've seen at other times in various other comps, you're shit mate!"?

Other than slow down a steadily accelerating downward spiral of skill? No idea.

The top tier DJs don't give a fuck about DMC.

The top tier DJs used to enter and win DMC so there's really no logical basis to that sentence. It's like saying 'ham sandwiches went shit when they started using tofu'.

I don't see how being extra cuntish to the DJs that do bother to enter can help get the comp back on track.

I'm not up for whippersnappers and well meaning new guys getting booed by any means - they're the kind of guys that should be embraced - but I'm totally fine with guys that treat culture like video games and just want to collect dem achievements getting called out and embarrassed, sure. Eliminating that pop element *will* help to get things back on track, I'll go on record with that.

Welll..... so only when you're stone cold then?

There's a big difference between a guy submitting a routine to DMC Online, and a guy submitting a routine to DMC Online and saying "I'm the dog's bollocks".

Other than slow down a steadily accelerating downward spiral of skill? No idea.

Explain to me how that works.

The top tier DJs used to enter and win DMC so there's really no logical basis to that sentence.

Well, there obviously is a logical basis to the sentence you quoted as it was merely a statement of fact. What you should be asking is why those top tier DJs no longer feel that it's worth entering competitions like the DMC.

but I'm totally fine with guys that treat culture like video games and just want to collect dem achievements getting called out and embarrassed

So which of the DJs that have videos featured in this thread deserve such scorn? (Aside from the Portuguese guy).

I never figured out how to part quote quickly it takes me ages so I'll just number the points:

1. What happens in the shitbox stays in the shitbox, right?

2. Take my previous points on lower standards leading to complacency and combine it with the past 5-7 years of DMC

3. Statements of fact are used to determine logic, they're not logic in and of themselves. When better and more practiced DJs were entering and winning DMC the competition was better, so better DJs = a better DJ competition. If the good DJs continued to enter DMC then it would be a better competition, but to be honest the DJs you mentioned aren't competing and a lot of them have all but quit competitive DJing. You can't just say 'oh, people are slower now and that's fine' when Usain Bolt retires.

4. Even though I don't specifically mean these entries, all of them are pretty wack full stop, even Fong Fong. You can't sit with a custom DVS set and baby scratch your way through fake transitions any more than you can take that Skrillex top 40 shit and double it up and expect to get props. Even if it's really clean it's a major back step on pretty much the past 20 years of DJ battles.

You can't just say 'oh, people are slower now and that's fine' when Usain Bolt retires.

No, but you can say "why aren't the faster runners entering the 100 metres now?" instead of saying "you guys that are entering the 100 metre race now all suck cocks!".

As for point 4, again, you're being way too harsh. All of the previous DMC comps were filled with largely mediocre competitors with only a couple of stand-outs.

The DJ no longer being an integral part of hip-hop is a big part of what has killed this. The attitude is no longer there. It's a big part of what has also fucked up the hip-hop mixtape scene (something I care far more about than some guy spending 12 months to come up with 6 minutes of noise I'll listen to once or twice). Combine that with modern DJ gear where you can buy it, then because it does almost everything for you, you can post a mix literally a week later that sounds acceptable - and acceptable is "all you need" - you get to where we're at now. These days you've got a small bunch of super-technical scratch DJs where you really can't tell one from the other (exceptions like chile aside), and juggling has died because it was always a pointless skill outside of battling and battling no longer carries the prestige it once did, so of course this shit was going to decline. It's like arguing about there being no more Usain Bolts in an age when people travel about on hoverboards cos it's easier and you don't have to spend years training to run fast.

• Like 1

this debate is wank, all the good dj's have gone coz battling is pointless and they can make better money from doing clubs sets with some wank old routines that anyone who knows their shit has already heard a million time already and it only appeals to twatish drunk pilled up unknowledgeable uni prick from some small village who has never seen scratching before.

the online dmc bollox is just that, its bollox.

its for cunt wannabe battle dj's who never had the guts to get out of their bedrooms and actuall battle for real.

dmc,ida and anything else battle wise is dead and pointless nowdays, and as much as i love "turntablism" to

the nomal music lover it all sounds like shit.

battling had its day, its had its legends.

no more craze's,total eclips's,rafiks' q bets, netiks and all of the same calibre.

done

over

dead

R.I.P

• Like 1

this debate is wank, all the good dj's have gone coz battling is pointless and they can make better money from doing clubs sets with some wank old routines that anyone who knows their shit has already heard a million time already and it only appeals to twatish drunk pilled up unknowledgeable uni prick from some small village who has never seen scratching before.

its for cunt wannabe battle dj's who never had the guts to get out of their bedrooms and actuall battle for real.

dmc,ida and anything else battle wise is dead and pointless nowdays, and as much as i love "turntablism" to

no more craze's,total eclips's,rafiks' q bets, netiks and all of the same calibre.

done

over

dead

R.I.P

Blimey you're cheery today!

1. yes clubs= money, but what happened to doing this for the love of doing it?

2. scratching doesn't have to be dumbed down to work in a club enviornment

3. there are plenty of people in the last two years of the online competition who have been successful in the traditional dmcs- vajra, unkut, iftw, jeppa, vekked, ruftone, snake eyes etc

4. it's a good way of getting exposure outside of your country to other turntablists. If you're not winning nationals, people probably won't have heard of you outside your own country. I've met loads of great people around the world from the online comp

You may have lost interest but there's plenty of life in it in my opinion.

done

over

dead

R.I.P

3. there are plenty of people in the last two years of the online competition who have been successful in the traditional dmcs- vajra, unkut, iftw, jeppa, vekked, ruftone, snake eyes etc

all of the above have battled way before the online shit, they are like the 1% out of the 100 that actually battle for real.

we need way than than this to be enetering to make this battle worth watching.

there were also a lot of new national finalists in the online too :) I'd say the majority of people in the online final actually do enter the live dmc too. The online heats are a different matter entirely of course.

Fong Fong's almost looks like it's being mimed. There are certain samples that play over the top of his juggles/cuts that seem like they were added afterwards, based on what he's doing with the records and fader at the time. I'm sure it's just very heavily pre-planned/laid out though.

Hello DV People ,

Just to say, nothing is mimed ( sound or video are not really synchro on youtube ) and nothing are added afterwards on my routine !

Hope you ll see one day live on stage ;)

Fong Fong

Fong Fong's almost looks like it's being mimed. There are certain samples that play over the top of his juggles/cuts that seem like they were added afterwards, based on what he's doing with the records and fader at the time. I'm sure it's just very heavily pre-planned/laid out though.

Hello DV People ,

Just to say, nothing is mimed ( sound or video are not really synchro on youtube ) and nothing are added afterwards on my routine !

Fong Fong

Gunshot at the end, neither record is playing.

Hello DV People ,

Fong Fong

Gunshot at the end, neither record is playing.

yes the gun shot at the end !

Hello DV People ,

Fong Fong

You would say that!

I call shenanigans on the whole thing. Cheats never prosper, Fong Fong, just remember that!

(J/K man.)

@Fong Fong, Your routines are always really tight man, super clean. Your cuts are really really good too. I'd love to see you do more breakdown juggles rather than edited juggles (I mean edited records rather than post production) in future routines, as I'm sure you'd bring something really interesting to the table.

This forum on the whole, myself included, leans in favour of traditional routines and juggling styles over edit/custom juggles when it comes to routines, and I think that is the source of the criticism. When DJs edit pauses/cross fader cuts in routines, the general consensus here is that it's not necessary even it gives a visual addition to sets. I think everyone here respects your technical ability regardless, and that's not always shown in negative comments.

Good luck in the competition sir :)

I will wait until all the sets have been posted/to see if people think mine is wack before I comment.

I'm mostly with Chris tho, I think for the most part people who are wack should be told they are wack regardless of if they're a nice person. You don't necessarily have to tell them to kill themselves, there are constructive ways to tell a busta he has no skills (not that I would know much about that). I think there are far too many yes-men and it's def hurtful for the scene. On the other hand there are people who are varying degrees of haters as well even if they don't know it. Well informed/honest feedback that's not held back >>>>.

I find it really hard to get good/honest feedback on routines. People usually fall into 2 categories:

a) tell me it's dope almost regardless which doesn't help me much because I know their standards are lower than my own/doesn't give me anything to work on... which shouldn't be the case unless the routine's perfect.

b) I get people who tell me stuff that's wrong with my routines but it's pretty obvious stuff's going over their head, ex. someone tells me a certain juggle pattern is played out when they can't reference a single routine that does the same stuff. It's completely fine and constructive to comment on the sound/funkiness/flow of a routine if you don't know much about technique... sometimes friends who are just musicians give me the best feedback.

/rant.