@Jon - Phone upgrades

Steve

I think I might try and get one of these: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t09LHXDjGb4

The Galaxy S3 is probably going to be better, but looking around at pricing, this HTC phone seems like it's going to be about the same price as the Desire when that launched so the contracts on it are comparable to those of the Desire, while I've read rumours that you'll be looking at £40 per month on a Galaxy S3 unless you pay a chunk of change up front for the handset.

Here's some benchmarks for the HTC One X: -

att-htc-one-x-benchmarks.jpg

The Desire's score isn't high enough to make it on to that list, but you can see that in terms of raw power, it crushes every other phone currently on the market. It's got a quad core 1.5 GHz CPU, 1GB of RAM, 32 GB of storage and a full 720p 4.7 inch screen. I like HTC phones too, so if I can convince T-Mobile to give me one of these (even if I have to pay towards the handset) then I'm pretty sure this is what I'm gonna get.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sweet, thanks mate, i might do the same. tmobile tried to give me an upgrade to a better call plan with a new phone recently as i call a few 0800 numbers a month for bills etc, but the phones on offer weren't great. When's the htc One out?

Have they added a feature that allows you to use your phone for longer than twelve hours without the battery crapping out?

Actually, to be fair I've worked out how to sort that issue out now.

Still, I'll not be upgrading for a while, even tho my Desire has a cracked screen now

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to wait and see what T-Mobile say in June.

That £41 a month deal they're doing is for unlimited minutes, texts and Internet, so it's overkill for my needs. There are already deals popping up where you get the phone free and pay £26 a month (what I'm paying now with the Desire), but it depends what level of service you want. Here's one for instance: -

CLICK

@Deft - My sister has the Lumia 800. It's a really nice phone IMO and the 900 seems better still. I would check out out in a shop first though, cos you might not like WP7.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno if you've read any of the reviews of this phone, Jon, but they all seem very positive apart from one thing - battery life. I dunno why they don't put higher mAh batteries in these things. It may make the phone a couple of mm thicker, but fuck it.

Anyways, for me now it's a choice of this, the Samsung Galaxy Note, or the Galaxy S3.

It's really hard to say, cos it depends on usage and what stuff you have running in the background.

The Desire has a 1,400 mAh battery. The One X has an 1,800 mAh battery, but the screen is quite a bit bigger, the CPU eats up more battery, and the battery is sealed in so you can't carry a spare.

That said, many review sites marked the Desire down for battery life too, so who knows?

After talking to a couple of people about this, it seems the best way to go with an upgrade is to call your service provider and haggle with them to get a deal, then go into a local Carphone Warehouse to actually get the phone. CPW can connect to your service provider to see that you've been offered the upgrade, then they'll sort the phone out for you. This has a couple of advantages. The phone will be unlocked and unbranded, so you'll get updates as soon as HTC makes them available, plus it has a higher resale value when you come to sell it. Also, you can take the phone out of the box and examine it before you agree to take it, so if there's any dead pixels on the screen or whatever, you can get them to swap it there and then.

I'm still undecided on which phone to get, but this is how I'm going to go about upgrading.

ok, wtf do people do when it actually does scratch? like what if the phone fails the test? I saw one on youtube where a dude is scraping up a nexus with a huge knife and like jabbing it... and I'm pretty sure he was half way to just stabbing right into the screen... I wonder how many failed scratch tests there are like that. There seems like very little upside to the scratch test, lol. (Obviously some people get the phone for free in order to do shit like that, but some of the videos just seem like some idiot doing it)

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to sort out my upgrade and some of the offers are just dumb. I found a deal on the HTC One X that was decent, but they said it was for new customers only. They then said that I could get the deal by porting my number to a provider other than T-Mobile, then immediately porting it back to T-Mobile again. I said "well, if I can do that, just give me the offer without the porting stuff and I'll sign up right now", but they wouldn't, as they said I don't count as a new customer. lol. What a pointless restriction!

Also, after an update it stopped doing my favourite thing. When I got my phone I said to it:

"Call me daddy long dick" and it said "Okay, I'll call you daddy long dick".

Then I could say "what's my name" and it would say "daddy long dick", It doesn't do that anymore, it just takes me to my contact information.

Oh, and I want the female siri too. bastards. It's not the same when you get a man's voice to go 'oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh' when you're masturbating. everything happens too quickly.

It not faster to use Siri for things like sending texts either, after you've repeated yourself about 3 times then made all the corrections! I don't expect it to fully understand my yorkshire twang, but it doesn't even try.