@Jon - Phone upgrades

Steve

Fuck an iPhone. I'm used to having something more substantial in my hand. ;)

iphone-vs-Samsung-galaxy-S31.jpg

I can't decide between the Samsung Galaxy S3 (shown above next to a measly iPhone) and the HTC One X. The S3 seems to have the better specs and battery life, but the One X has the better build quality. I also prefer HTC's Sense interface to Samsung's TouchWiz. Decision, decisions.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going S3 mainly for 64gb onboard + SD card. Should be more than enough for a few years. But if the 64gb is delayed for too long I might hang on and see what the next iPhone is like. Still not 100% sure on the mega size phones.

I fucked up on when my contract ends. I thought it was June 14th, but I phoned T-Mobile today and it's July 14th. I can sort my upgrade out from June 14th though and the guy I spoke to at T-Mobile said he would call me back then to sort it out. Ideally I'd like to get a deal from T-Mobile, but arrange to pick the phone up from the Carphone Warhouse so I can get an unlocked/unbranded one. I'll let you know what happens next week.

I phoned T-Mobile today to sort out my upgrade. The cheapest deal they could do on the Galaxy S3 is 2,000 minutes and unlimited texts/data for £36 a month which isn't a bad price for what you get, but I don't need that many minutes. I asked about the HTC One X and that was also £36 for the same allowance. I said that I could get better deals elsewhere, including if I ported away from T-Mobile and immediately back to them again as a new customer, but the guy wouldn't budge. I asked for the PAC code and said I would go elsewhere. 2 minutes after I hung up, I got a call from T-Mobile asking why I'd left, but even after explaining it they were still unwilling to budge on their best offers.

I got a Samsung Galaxy S3 from Dialaphone on Orange. Free phone, £25.48 a month, £50 cashback. I only get 400 minutes per month instead of the 600 I get now on T-Mobile, but that's enough for me. I should have it on Monday.

Nice one! My current plan is 300 minutes and infinite texts/data for £20 and my phone was free. I'd like to get the One X for the same plan but their website deals don't look very encouraging.

http://phone-shop.tesco.com/mobile-phones-and-sim-cards/pay-monthly-phones/pay-monthly-phones-listing.aspx?manufacturer=HTC&model=One%20X&networkProvider=&contractLength=0&price=0&colour=&group=&ratingScore=0&tmcampid=7&tmad=c <- tesco have decent deals on the one x on tmobile, so i'll try and get them to match them without going through tesco and if not, I'll get a pac code and go through them instead.

My phone arrived this morning. It's fucking nice! So slim and light. The screen is fucking amazing. I knew it had a 1,280 x 720 resolution, but it's really bright and super sharp.

Check out this review (skip to 25:13): -

Leo Laporte is a bit of an Apple fanboy and even he seems to love it.

Can you not just slap a 64GB card in a 16GB phone, or do you need more than 80?

You get 48GB of DropBox space added to your account when you buy one of these phones, which is a nice bonus if you use that service.

Yeah I have considered it. I'm in the mindset of wanting all my music and tv shows on my device - probably close to 60 gigs. So 128 gb would give me loads of space for games and apps / expansion. If the 32gb S3 materialises very soon I might compromise and get that.

I just got my final bill from T-Mobile. They charged me a full month, plus they added £20.97 as an early termination fee. Cheeky cunts. I phoned up and asked why and they said that I had to give them 30 days notice when I received the PAC code, but I said that PAC codes have to be used within 30 days so if I had done that I wouldn't have been able to use the code, plus asking for the PAC code is me saying "I'm leaving T-Mobile" and nobody told me there would be an early termination fee. Eventually they waived £20 of it.

This is a right ballache, how do you go about checking over the phone whether they can match an offer I've found online?

I basically either want them to match the offer I posted before, which is on the same network but through Tesco and Quidco, or to cancel my account at the end of my renewal date and get my PAC code so I can exchange my number.

I phoned the 150 customer services number but their system won't let give me any options on the upgrade section as it's not my renewal date.

I had the same problem. I assumed that the upgrade date was the same as the date the contract ended, but it's not. It's actually 1 month earlier. That's why they won't talk to you about it now.

Your best bet is to wait until the day they allow you to renew, then check to see what they're offering you on their website by logging into My T-Mobile. If the choices are shit (which they almost certainly will be if my experience is anything to go by), then call them up and see what deals they can offer you. Don't let them talk you into renewing if you can get a better deal by switching to another network! The best deal they offered me on the HTC One X was unlimited everything (although that's bullshit as they have a "fair" usage policy that restricts you) for £36 a month, which was a bit rich for me. That's why I ended up leaving them.

Another thing to be wary of is an early disconnection fee. If you do leave and you ask for the PAC code, ask them when is the earliest you can port your number without incurring a fee. When I got my PAC code I assumed that was that, so I ported to Orange, then T-Mobile charged me £20.97 as an early disconnection fee even though I'd paid a full 24 months of fees. I phoned up and complained and got £20 of that refunded, but it's best to avoid that by checking the dates. I don't know when you last ported your number, but usually if you phone your new network in the morning your number is ported over the very next day, so you don't have to put up with much inconvenience.

Oh yeah, and when you're looking around for your new phone/contract, don't forget to check Quidco as they offer some great cashback deals when you sign new contracts with certain carriers. I got £50.

Managed to get through to someone again and got no useful information from them. I have to wait until the exact day my contract ends next week. If I was to buy a phone through tesco I'd have to do the same thing they suggested to you which is buy a pay and go sim on another network, then on my contract renewal date for my old phone get the pac code and port my number to the pay and go sim, then get the pac code from the pay and go sim's number, then port it again to my new phone. LONGSAUCE.

How cheap can you get a sim card for these days?

I'll def be using Quidco, I get £35 cash back and free insurance for the entirety of my contract if I use them through Tesco.

You can get SIM cards for free I think mate.

I ported to Orange because they share a network with T-Mobile now and I couldn't be arsed to port away and then port back again. I also did that because of the whole principle of the thing, as I think it's dumb as fuck to make existing customers jump through hoops. They should do what they can to keep you, not make it harder for you to stay.

Found some on Orange on Play.com for £0.98 inc postage. Winner.

I reckon I'll wait until my renewal date, see if they'll match the offer (which I highly doubt as I can't imagine them giving me free insurance and cash back) and then either upgrade direct through them or buy that phone through Tesco.

Just got a call from T-Mobile, the best they could do is £27 a month w/free phone, 600 minutes (300 more than tesco), 750mb internet, infinite texts, cheap calls to the 0800 numbers and landlines but no insurance/cash back. He tried the cancellation fee thing with me too, but I mentioned you didn't have to pay it and he backed down and said if I phoned on my renewal date next week he'd sort something out.

The Tesco deal is £26 a month w/ free phone, 300 minutes, 750mb internet, infinite texts plus free insurance for 24 months and £35 cash back.

I save £59 overall with the Tesco deal. I don't use more than 300 minutes a month and rarely phone 0800 numbers, so think that it might be the best deal for me.