1. 1. And the winner is...

• Jon1st
    • Real-Izm
    • Symatic
    • Yoshi

Guest Symatic

i liked them all but voted for jon.

jon: dope flow, switched up styles alot, and the br-break it-it do-do-down

real-izm: really nice spaced out style. liked the bit at 0.55 and also at 1:37 when you slow it right down

symatic: shit

yoshi: nice old school sounds, and i've always liked the way you lift your hand off the fader like a composer or something, it adds a touch of class!

All of the vids were really good, but I went for Symatic because I liked his style the most and the cuts were extra clean.

Maybe we could do a league table for this. Give 3 points to 1st, 2 for 2nd and 1 for 3rd and keep a running total.

Or we could have one end of year battle where all of the individual winners go up against each other and I'll try and sort out something as a prize (it wouldn't be much though!).

this one was pretty close overall imo

i went for jon though as his flow was on point and sounded melodic with a good balance of tech

id say real-izm was the most technical sounding although i recon there was too much emphasis on transforming and the fader clicks werent always tight as they need to be with that technique. those tear type movements sound ill as fuck though, remind me of enfoe styles a little.

i liked symatics flow although would like to hear more melodic phrases with your techs. you had some good little bits with simple drag to higher pitch cuts though. what made me choose jon over symatic was jons record control at say 13 seconds and 25 seconds; those small melodic touches that expand on tech. dunno if that makes sense

i thought yoshi showed some good variation in tech and flow but sounded a bit rushed over all and the spacing in your cuts sounded predictable

• Like 1

Jon - It's not easy to do what you do as clean as you do it man. That's impressive. Great stuff. I would say you could maybe benefit from a touch more variation. Like breaking out from the "Hip Hop" style cuts more.

Real-ism - Nice flow and a nice alternative approach to that beat. Maybe a touch transformey. Great file though.

Symatic - Straight skills. Your pitching is superb. I only know like a handfull of DJ's who can pitch well. Most (including me) try it and fuck it up. Around 35 secs you show a great example of this. Great flow on this beat too.

Yoshi - Love the flow on this. Keep it nice on this beat with still enough aggressivness. Plenty of variation too.

Sy gets my vote. I really can't think of many people who would have done a better job on that beat.

Jon -I would say you could maybe benefit from a touch more variation. Like breaking out from the "Hip Hop" style cuts more.

Thanks for the feedback mate, could you elaborate on that last sentence at all? I can cut over 130-170 etc now, but I tend to have a set of flows/techniques for each tempo where I feel comfortable. As the beat was 45bpm (it's around there, I'm just estimating from my memory) I treated it as a 90 bpm beat and cut over it as if it were a hip hop instrumental. I agree on the lack of variation, I think it was just the new tempo that stumped me!

Jon -I would say you could maybe benefit from a touch more variation. Like breaking out from the "Hip Hop" style cuts more.

Thanks for the feedback mate, could you elaborate on that last sentence at all? I can cut over 130-170 etc now, but I tend to have a set of flows/techniques for each tempo where I feel comfortable. As the beat was 45bpm (it's around there, I'm just estimating from my memory) I treated it as a 90 bpm beat and cut over it as if it were a hip hop instrumental. I agree on the lack of variation, I think it was just the new tempo that stumped me!

Absolutely mate. By the way the critique is a minor thing as your cuts were very good and as mentioned very tight. What I was reffering to is not a technique thing at all, it's a style thing. You easily have plenty of techniques. I just usually see your cuts to have a pretty hip hop style approach. Maybe this was because you doubled on the 45bpm beat meaning you were cutting at 90bpm which is the typrical hip hop tempo : )

Nah, I'd say to break that mould you don't need further technique. I'd say maybe try pushing the sample at various pitches and dragging it at various pitches. Also try stopping the sample dead. Plus slow half time transform patterns help. So try something like a 1 bar pattern with transforms, a crab, a drag etc. Then take your time and repeat at a slightly higher or lower pitch. That type of thing.

Christ, this is sounding messy. Haha.

Maybe I can word it better. Your cuts pretty much always sound aggressive, which is a good thing for a battle. However I think with some less aggressive styles too it can make your aggressive parts stand out more.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the detailed feedback man. It all makes sense and I agree with the comments. I didn't show much pitch/flow variation is the battle, both things I can do pretty well normally. I agree with you that the majority of the scratch files I post online are pretty aggressive, which is a conscious decision when I battle as I'm always thinking 'impact, impact, impact' in all my routines/battle files/mixes and see spaces in flows as missed oportunities for extra techniques, considering time limits in competitions. When I just cut for fun I do leave a lot more pauses and do more technically simpler scratches a lot of the time and my style on the whole is a lot different. The other day I came up with a couple of new patterns just involving babies and transforms that I love, but are way too simplistic from a technical standpoint to be included in a battle. Maybe I should make a conscious decision to record more laid back scratch files, so people who haven't cut with me can see how I cut outside of battles?

PS- Congrats to Symatic- well deserved dude!- and props to everyone who entered, sick cuts all round.