The Disablists - 93 til Infinity routine video

Haha, I'm honoured! That said, I'm not sure how easy it is to change a person's attitude. I've seen one or two "confessional" type posts on DJF where some DJs have admitted that their attitude was all wrong and they've gone back to basics to try and learn properly and that's encouraging, but in general the DJs that don't give a fuck know that the club owners don't give a fuck as long as their patrons are happy, and the club patrons aren't generally concerned if a guy is auto-syncing his way through a bunch of pirated tunes using a cracked copy of Virtual DJ. I personally don't see that as an excuse, but I got into DJing cos I loved the whole concept of it - all the technical stuff you can do as well as playing good tunes. It does annoy me, cos hip-hop DJs are usually known for doing more technical stuff (scratching, juggling, trick mixing) than the EDM guys, but now you get a lot of hip-hop DJs who can't even do the most basic scratches in their mixes and that's kinda sad.

Despite my musings on technology, I judge battle DJs primarily by their skratching -- I find that good skratchers are good in most other aspects of DJing. That's why I put my camera down for more than half of the DMC routines this year as soon as I saw their scratching skills. As Esoteric said once, wack DJs go and learn how to do Eric B before tying to look dope.

^^^ Isnt eric b shit at scratching? I dont know what the fuck esoteric is on about there.

The current world DMC champ said in your interview that the best ever battle set is Craze 98 US final routine. Which I and so many other people agree with. When customs came out and rafik and netik won I thought to myself this is shit, when I seen craze do his traktor routine with the buttons I thought that was shit. Pushing buttons isn't fucking new neither is cue points it just sampling tech applied to turntables its totally unnecessary and sounds shit. I wish people would stop acting like they have found the newest greatest thing in pushing buttons it sounds shite!

No one thought it was cool when mel and kim used button pressing in respectable did they? So why think its cool now? Just because you think you might lose your gay shoreditch dj spot in jaguar shoes to an upcoming ginger underwear model called bernice whos like totally rocking the dicers yeah!?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK OOOOOOOOOOOOOOFF

That said I thought the video was alright but I would have preferred it be on vinyl so it have that charateristic HISS!

^^^ Isnt eric b shit at scratching? I dont know what the fuck esoteric is on about there.

He meant that if you can't do the scratches on "Eric B is on the Cut" then don't try to pass yourself off as a [hip hop] DJ.

He meant that if you can't do the scratches on "Eric B is on the Cut" then don't try to pass yourself off as a [hip hop] DJ.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@foly - What's your opinion of producers creating beats by pushing buttons on an MPC or whatever? Should they not be breaking out a drum kit and doing it properly?

What about battle records? They're custom records, so is it OK to use those as long as you didn't make the actual record(s) you're using in your set?

The current world DMC champ said in your interview that the best ever battle set is Craze 98 US final routine. Which I and so many other people agree with. When customs came out and rafik and netik won I thought to myself this is shit, when I seen craze do his traktor routine with the buttons I thought that was shit.

and yet im sure all three of those djs could eat you up without controllers or dubs.

@foly - What's your opinion of producers creating beats by pushing buttons on an MPC or whatever? Should they not be breaking out a drum kit and doing it properly?

What about battle records? They're custom records, so is it OK to use those as long as you didn't make the actual record(s) you're using in your set?

I've got no problem with button pushing really steve I just don't see it as a new technology and personally don't think that it sounds nice in a dj battle/ performance set, well sometimes I do but not much it has to be done in a style I like.

Battle records are a challenge because you didn't design them just like any other record. If you know that you want to do a certain pattern and then design a record that pretty much does it for you..........what's the point? Maybe rafik and netik are crap examples because they are both very good technically but some people are just pushing buttons and moving the fader from side to side. What I'm saying is why have the turntables at all.....just use a sampler!

I've got no problem with button pushing really steve I just don't see it as a new technology and personally don't think that it sounds nice in a dj battle/ performance set, well sometimes I do but not much it has to be done in a style I like.

I agree with you here. I think vids of live drumming on pads and stuff are really dope, but in a DJ battle (more so a turntablist battle) it's cheesy most of the time. It's nothing against controllerist stuff itself, just controllerist stuff in a turntablist battle. It's like entering an MPC battle and bringing decks and doing scratch drumming to me. Clearly some people think that DJ battles should be DEEJAY battles, not turntablist battles, but the fact is that's what DMC/IDA and stuff have been nearly from the beginning and they're organizations deeply ingrained in turntablist culture far more than DJ culture more generally.

I think that if people did pad drumming but were also top notch on the decks and focussed on enhancing the turntablist aspects of their routines with these techniques there would be less hate from a lot of people, but most people who are against "button pushing" in this context are not just saying "I hate button pushing", but the subtext is that they hate how turntablists are getting wacker and spending less time practicing their skills, and instead using the buttons as a crutch instead of using them to make what's there even better.

RE: foly's take on battle records. I share a similar view as well. Battle records and custom records/sentences might be similar in how they were made/arranged, but it's not the technology that is the issue whatsoever, it's how it affects the process of the DJs. It's the difference between taking a record and making something with the sounds, and taking sounds and making something with them on the computer and re-creating what you made.

I think the clearest way example of the difference the process makes to the result is in musical/melodic scratch routines. I think most people would agree that D-Styles/Woody/Koala/Dopey/Dexta's musical routines made from flipping samples are much cooler than 99% of melodic routines these days where DJs have the notes of their melodies pressed in sequence from start to finish of the section. There's a bunch of other fairly classic musical routines from the likes of Unkut/Switch/Izoh/Wundrkut etc, that are heaps better than almost any melody scratch routine that was pre-arranged. The element of flipping sound/music from it's intended sound into something it was not intended to sound like is, to me, THE thing that makes turntablism dope, and I think if most of us look back to what got us involved/interested in the artform, we'll realize this was one of the biggest reasons in most cases. It's the thing that drew us to scratching as opposed to making beats on the MPC. I don't have anything against making beats on the MPC obviously, I just think this is the root of the anti-button pushing IN TURNTABLISM perspective.

/lecture

I've got no problem with button pushing really steve....

On the previous page you said that it's totally unnecessary and sounds shit. :d

I would agree that having limits in a DJ battle can make for a more interesting competition (and one that's easier to judge too - in fact, maybe that's the strongest reason for having limits), but the video posted in this thread isn't from a battle and I was talking generally. Also, if I was judging a battle I would take into account whether a DJ was flipping a sample like Woody does with his flutines routine, or whether they'd just pressed some notes in a particular order on a record and were just running through them.

I've got no problem with button pushing really steve....

I would agree that having limits in a DJ battle can make for a more interesting competition (and one that's easier to judge too - in fact, maybe that's the strongest reason for having limits), but the video posted in this thread isn't from a battle and I was talking generally. Also, if I was judging a battle I would take into account whether a DJ was flipping a sample like Woody does with his flutines routine, or whether they'd just pressed some notes in a particular order on a record and were just running through them.

Yah the thread got a bit derailed from the original vid, lol. I would hope judges take into account that sort of stuff but sometimes I question whether they're even watch the battle at all.