practice

Flare Bear

Guest Deeswift

Between '98 and 2001 I practiced sometimes all day, only stopping to eat. This was usually Q&A sessions with Awkward, or various other DJ's. Until mid 2002 I also did a lot of intense practice. I mostly worked on fast beats (120 - 160 BPM) and double-time scratching on slow (approx. 70 BPM). Then I had a 2 year break both through circumstances I couldn't control and also because I started to hate scratching, I was tired of the beats and tired of being uninspired by other DJ's. After I moved to my current home a few months ago (where I'm finally able to set up my gear again), I started to regain interest in scratching. So here I am re-learning everything from the ground up, it's unreal how much you can lose within 2 years of barely touching a deck.

To answer your question though, I practice when I feel like it. Sometimes it's an hour or two, sometimes 5 hours, sometimes I don't cut for days. More often than not though, and with the introduction of Skype, I tend to play a fair amount of hours, or at least I try to do some practice every day. Even 15 minutes a day will keep you in shape, which is better than losing 2 years of potential skills.

normally about an hour a day, more on weekends.

been mixing far more than scratching recently, working on new ideas for sets. there's a lot of hiphop out there i don't like, so i find it difficult to put sets together that represent my taste in music

i seem to be doing nothing but 2 click variations at the moment, so scratching is pissing me off right now....

I cut maybe 2 hours a week at most. On the Scratch DVD, D-Styles says he has a love/hate relationship with scratching and not meaning to sound like I'm copying him, but I feel the same. 90% of the time I hate it. When someone like Gabriel or Matt sends me a beat and asks me to cut over it, I'll go all out to do the best I can, but other than that I couldn't really care less.

I practice on average about 30 - 60 minutes a day. Some days I go for hours, but then I'll go for days without scratching.

Anyone have a 'structured' practice? eg spend 20 minutes practicising record control, 10 minutes on 2 clicks, etc? I usually just freestyle cut to different beats.

anyone listen to j5? i like numark and cut chemist's style with simple scratches moreso than crazy flares from the xmen a lot of times...so i am trying to mix and beat juggle more than scratch because even someone who listens to a ton of scratching appreciates the simple stuff for some reason :8

x-ecutioners flaring? LOL i've seen a million videos of them and seen em live a couple times. Only once or twice have i seen any of them flare. In any event, i try to practice a couple hours a day. My hand control has gotten a lot better, though i can't seem to get the hang of hydroplanes. I'm currently working on getting the movements of my 2-click orbits consistent enough to do double-time.